Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
ndeb123
ndeb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
calibre 0.7.48 - intermittent failure to start on Win7 64bit

Hi

I am running Calibre 0.7.48 on Windows 7 64bit, and using Windows task scheduler to wake the computer and start Calibre in order to download daily news to email to my Kindle.

Calibre intermittently refuses to start. When I check task manager, it's apparently running, but has not opened properly, and no news download has taken place. After stopping it with task manager it then launches normally.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening here, how I might go about diagnosing the problem?

Thanks

Nick
ndeb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
If you're using Task Scheduler to start an application, it's important to not have the application prompt you for anything during the start. In the case of Calibre, you should definitely turn off notification of a new version.
A better solution might be to simply leave Calibre running in the background by enabling the system tray icon. (Preferences, Look & Feel, Enable System Tray Icon (requires restart)).
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
ndeb123
ndeb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd certainly wondered about the need to turn off update notifications.

If I go with your second recommendation, of leaving it running in the background, what would happen with the task scheduler trying to launch calibre / kill the task it has launched? Or should I just be asking the task scheduler to run a dummy file in order to wake the machine?
ndeb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeb123 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd certainly wondered about the need to turn off update notifications.

If I go with your second recommendation, of leaving it running in the background, what would happen with the task scheduler trying to launch calibre / kill the task it has launched? Or should I just be asking the task scheduler to run a dummy file in order to wake the machine?
If you go with the second suggestion, you don't need to do anything with Calibre at all, but you will want something to wake up the machine if it's in sleep mode.

Given this is running 64-bit Windows, I'm assuming a moderately powerful machine with plenty of RAM. The overhead of leaving Calibre running in the background is trivial for that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote