Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 03:02 AM   #16
ilka
ilka began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
So does that mean, you can buy books from anywhere on the world if you have a Wi Fi connection or a signal in case you have the 3G device ?
I am still trying to figure out how it works and whether to buy a kindle 3 or a Nook. I am living in Germany
Thanks
Ilka
ilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #17
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilka View Post
So does that mean, you can buy books from anywhere on the world if you have a Wi Fi connection or a signal in case you have the 3G device ?
I am still trying to figure out how it works and whether to buy a kindle 3 or a Nook. I am living in Germany
Thanks
Ilka
I have 3G and could make an internetconnection when I was abroad and couldn't get a wifi-connection, so I guess I could have bought books also on amazon.com.

Last edited by desertblues; 10-16-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: grammar, grammar
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #18
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilka View Post
Thanks
Ilka
A WiFi connection, at the risk of anthropomorphizing, "doesn't care where you are." Starbucks in Tokyo, internet cafe in Rome or hotel in Toronto: you won't be charged for data or roaming use over WiFi as it's just a wireless access point for a hardwired internet connection. (via a WiFi router)

3G comes in handy in places you don't have access to a WiFi network, in countries where Amazon has an agreement with a 3G or GPRS carrier. Provided you set your charge limit to $0.00, you won't be billed for using 3G.

Having owned both a WiFi Kindle and now a 3G+WiFi, I would recommend the 3G+WiFi to give you options if, say, the cafe you're sitting in has an internet problem. You could still connect over 3G/GPRS, without putting down your latte.

Kindle versus Nook is a whole different discussion.

Last edited by cjottawa; 10-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #19
kimichen
Gadget Lover
kimichen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've just bought a Kindle 3G/WiFi from the UK via a friend there. I do think there is a difference between the US sent within US and the international version and that's in the experimental browser.

A friend recently bought a Kindle via a friend in the US and has full browser access (including GoogleMail) in Europe (tested only in Germany & Poland and about to be tried in UK). The browser on my Kindle has only access to Wiki and of course to the Amazon store via 3G. Full browser access via WiFi of course as that does not cost Amazon anything.

Does anyone have more info on this difference?

I realise that the Kindle is primarily an E-book reader but it's quite a bonus to have internet access in Europe free, particularly when travelling.

So, based on my experience so far, my advice is to buy the US version sent to a US address.
kimichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #20
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimichen View Post
I've just bought a Kindle 3G/WiFi from the UK via a friend there. I do think there is a difference between the US sent within US and the international version and that's in the experimental browser.

A friend recently bought a Kindle via a friend in the US and has full browser access (including GoogleMail) in Europe (tested only in Germany & Poland and about to be tried in UK). The browser on my Kindle has only access to Wiki and of course to the Amazon store via 3G. Full browser access via WiFi of course as that does not cost Amazon anything.

Does anyone have more info on this difference?

I realise that the Kindle is primarily an E-book reader but it's quite a bonus to have internet access in Europe free, particularly when travelling.

So, based on my experience so far, my advice is to buy the US version sent to a US address.
Buy the Kindle wifi+ 3G in the US with a USadress. There's plenty said about the international restrictions for 3G in the forums.
Browsing depends on the adress your Kindle is registred to and nothing else matters: not the version like B00AA, or whatever. The version is important for when you want to update, but that's all.
I made some experiments with it and I, as European (not UK) customer can browse, where I want, with my European version and an USadress. If I want that: that's another question. I primarily want to buy books from Amazon without geo-restrictions.

Last edited by desertblues; 10-20-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi,

I recently ordered the kindle3 via the US store to a friend's address in the US. After I picked it up I opened a US amazon account to the address it was shipped to with a german credit card as payment.

I have no restrictions whatsoever browsing with the experimental browser in germany or buying books in the US kindle store. Browsing for me is just a nice addon, I am mainly into having full access to the kindle store.

Cheers,

fimipiso
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
desertblues
Home for the moment

For me, I had to wiggle the adresses a bit. I have an iPad for the internet, for browsing on the Kindle is experimental, in 16 greytints and what can one expect? But it does the job and it is an ereader, not a tablet.
For me it is important to have access to all books in the Amazonstore and not only the US-ones. I've been a faithful customer of theirs for almost 8 years and feel I should be able to buy these books.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Agreed desertblues. If that was something in Amazons control I would be annoyed with Amazon. Unfortunetly it is in the hands of the Publishers based on how they write contracts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
Toniri
Toniri began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360°
@ kimichen

That's odd that you can't use the full browser capabilities over 3G. There are lot's of videos on the web of british Kindle users demonstrating web access (Gmail, etc.) over 3G on their devices, so I assume this has nothing to do with the software installed.

I would really like to figure this out so my ideas would be that either:

1. Vodaphone (the 3G provider for the UK devices) doesn't provide international roaming
2. Your Kindle is not registered to a UK address

The second question is one you can answer yourself. For the first one, we need someone, preferably British who can check if he can roam over 3G when outside the UK.

Cheers
Cas
Toniri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #25
kimichen
Gadget Lover

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. My friend's Kindle was re-registered to an Australian address and the browser continued to work on 3G without restriction which lead me to think that my browser non-access was because of having a UK Kindle which is registered to a German address. However 'desertblues' said that it's purely a function of where it is registered. So, as I have an Australian address also, I'll be trying this out and will post the result.

Sure, it's not a great browser and the Kindle is an E-Book reader not a portable computer in the general sense, but it's still a nice plus when travelling. As previously noted, the Amazon Store is available via 3G without problem and that is the main thing.

Yes Cas, I'd also love to hear from a UK user re browser international roaming. Right now, I'd still recommend buying the US model sent to a US address where possible.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
kimichen
Gadget Lover

I changed to my Australian address and the 3G browser leapt up and worked. Strange but wonderful. You were certainly right 'desertblues'. Interesting though that it wouldn't work with a German address. Perhaps because only the country and not my address had been registered although I have 1-click ordering on.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
TeeDee
TeeDee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Buy Kindle UK use in NZ

Can any one tell me if I buy Kindle 3G in UK can I get full use in New Zealand now, and are the costs and accessability similar?
TeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
If I'm not mistaken the USA Kindle is shipped with a USB cable AND a wall plug for it.
The international Kindle is just shipped with the cable, but no wall plugger.
Without the plug you have to charge with a computer.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniri View Post
1. Vodaphone (the 3G provider for the UK devices) doesn't provide international roaming
2. Your Kindle is not registered to a UK address
Vodafone (spelt with an "f", not a "ph"!) certainly does provide full internet access in the UK with a Kindle 3. I have one myself, and can access any web site on my Kindle. I've also used it, without restriction, in most countries in Western Europe.

As has been said many times, it's the country in which you have your Kindle registered that determines restrictions on web browsing, not where you bought it from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
If I'm not mistaken the USA Kindle is shipped with a USB cable AND a wall plug for it.
The international Kindle is just shipped with the cable, but no wall plugger.
Depends what "international" you're talking about. If you buy a Kindle in the UK, for example, it is supplied with a wall charger.

Not that it really matters; it's just a standard USB wall charger, and they can be picked up for peanuts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, germany, international, kindle 3, kindle international, netherlands