Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
jkcoder
jkcoder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
uuid isnull

What is the purpose of uuid? It seems to be null in the books table on importing books. Is it supposed to be null in the first place?

I'm using mekk calibre guess isbn code and is facing problems as the uuid isnull. I would need to modify the sqlitedb manually to put in a random uuid.
jkcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A uuid is an the name implies a Universally Unique Identifier. calibre uses uuids of type 4 to identify books unambiguously across multiple libraries.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
jkcoder

Any reason why that might be null on import? Or what might cause them to be null?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
not that i know of
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoder View Post
Any reason why that might be null on import? Or what might cause them to be null?
Modifying calibre's database outside of calibre is extremely dangerous. Calibre has all sorts of triggers that work to keep the db consistent, and updates are not running these. Look at the calibre files schema_upgrades.py and sqlite.py.

When a book entry is created, a trigger is run that does stuff. One thing it does is call a python-supplied function to set the UUID. That function will not be there, so the trigger is presumably removed.

Fix the script to run in python using calibre's debug facility, 'calibre-debug -e'. Otherwise you are likely to never get things right.

And sorry, but I am not interested in helping get this right. I don't care in the least about ISBNs.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Modifying calibre's database outside of calibre is extremely dangerous.
I've only successfully done it once, and that was before more changes and triggers were added. I'd go farther than Charles and say that even experts should not try this. Reading the database is OK, but changing it isn't. You have to have a detailed knowledge of how Calibre works to safely make direct SQL changes. By the time an expert knows enough to do it safely, they'll see it's easier to do it inside Calibre, with Calibre's existing tools, than to do it in SQL.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
jkcoder

i think it was due to my sql "import" of another database that has caused it too go all bonkers. There were Drop and Create tables in there, thus destroying the triggers.