Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
New to the forum

Hello I am new to the forum. I love my kindle and would like to know more about the way this forum works. I would like to promote my ebooks to the community but would like someone to tell me the rules. I have had friends say they got kicked off for posting one time about their ebook. Don't want that to happen so help me out people.
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We have a Writer's Forum. Writers here are not only welcome, but are valued members of the community. The writers here tend to partipate a lot in all discussions of interest, and often "advertise" their books by way of links to them or their own website in their signatures. Somewhere around here there's even a singular thread expressly set up to blatantly plug your book.

Of course, if you go around solely go round creating new threads plugging your books, or looking for any thread that might have some remote tangential connection that you think warrants plugging your book (or worse, no real connection at all; if your sole reason to be here is to plug your book with every post, well you'll probably very quickly pick up a pattern that indicates you're merely spamming the forum with ad's. The owners frown deeply on that - expect not only prompt reaction from them, but a negative response from any potential market you thought you might have.

Participate. Don't spam. Get your sig' going. Find the Writer's Forum. Learn the ropes. You'll know when the right time is to mention your books (psst, try the "Introduce Yourself" thread - it's the perfect place to start), or announce new ones. Look for other authors here (eg. Steve Jordan, "starrigger") and see how those valuable, participating members so readily and welcomly fit here (often with announcements waited on by readers with enthusiasm). Whatever you do, do NOT pretend to be someone else recommending your own book (that can be marketting death if discovered).

Jump in. The water's fine. Behave like a member of the community, and the writer that you are will find its place.

But go to the "Introduce Yourself" section. It's the perfect place to tell us who you are, what you're here for ("help" is a valid reason - it's how most of us started here ), and what you write.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Marc

Thanks for the great information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
We have a Writer's Forum. Writers here are not only welcome, but are valued members of the community. The writers here tend to partipate a lot in all discussions of interest, and often "advertise" their books by way of links to them or their own website in their signatures. Somewhere around here there's even a singular thread expressly set up to blatantly plug your book.

Of course, if you go around solely go round creating new threads plugging your books, or looking for any thread that might have some remote tangential connection that you think warrants plugging your book (or worse, no real connection at all; if your sole reason to be here is to plug your book with every post, well you'll probably very quickly pick up a pattern that indicates you're merely spamming the forum with ad's. The owners frown deeply on that - expect not only prompt reaction from them, but a negative response from any potential market you thought you might have.

Participate. Don't spam. Get your sig' going. Find the Writer's Forum. Learn the ropes. You'll know when the right time is to mention your books (psst, try the "Introduce Yourself" thread - it's the perfect place to start), or announce new ones. Look for other authors here (eg. Steve Jordan, "starrigger") and see how those valuable, participating members so readily and welcomly fit here (often with announcements waited on by readers with enthusiasm). Whatever you do, do NOT pretend to be someone else recommending your own book (that can be marketting death if discovered).

Jump in. The water's fine. Behave like a member of the community, and the writer that you are will find its place.

But go to the "Introduce Yourself" section. It's the perfect place to tell us who you are, what you're here for ("help" is a valid reason - it's how most of us started here ), and what you write.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Romantic One
Banned

I have been getting a lot of good information viewing the conversations here thank you for letting me join.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, and welcome to MobileRead.

What montsnmags said pretty much sums it up. (Thank you, montsnmags.)

If you are an author and you wish to mention your book(s), then do so. Create a thread, and LET THE THREAD PROGRESS AS A NATURAL OUTCOME OF PARTICIPATION.

Bumping your thread is not allowed.

HOWEVER, there is a thread I created for authors who are "shameless" in their promotion tactics - tinged with a sense of humor.

All of this can be found in the Freebies and Deals Forum.

We also have POSTING GUIDELINES near the top of the screen that we strongly suggest all new Members read (and Members who are sometimes forgetful about the rules.)

If you have any questions, please PM one of the Moderators for assistance.

HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Romantic One
Banned

Thanks for the help Dr. Drib I hope this works well I love this ebook thing and I also love the fact we don't have to cut down trees anymore to get our reading done.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic One View Post
Thanks for the help Dr. Drib I hope this works well I love this ebook thing and I also love the fact we don't have to cut down trees anymore to get our reading done.

You're welcome.

I love my two Kindles and use it (or them) daily.

One bit of clarification on the "bumping" issue: If [for example] you decided to change the price of your book(s), then that would be a legitimate reason to add that information to your thread. It's the bumping because of little or no participation from Members, or because your book moved from 63rd place in sales to 47th place (or 62nd, 54th, etc., etc., and then announcing that ad nauseum every other day) that is not appreciated by our community. We don't need weekly updates on someone's book moving up or down. The secret is to join in on the conversation in your thread as Members comment on your book and then to perhaps thank them. That will contribute greatly to the life your thread and will add continuing interest in your work AND in your Thread.

As I mentioned, though, there's a place where bumping DOES occur with a lot of fun, and that's in the "Shameless" Thread, where all participants give legitimate information AND/OR just generally have fun with the idea of bumping their posts to promote their book. It's really been a lot of fun for me personally and, I would hope, for the authors who participate in that Thread. They understand what it's all about, and they (and I) seem to love the good-natured, happy quality of the posts.)

I guess, to close this long post, the final secret is having good manners.

And remember: HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Romantic One
Banned

Don that you so much for the advice I love being able to get great advice like this.