Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Atlantis Word Processor does not offer batch conversion. But converting multiple documents to EPUB in Atlantis is fairly easy.

First, assign a hot key to the "Save as eBook" command of Atlantis. Choose the "Tools | Hot Keys..." menu command of Atlantis, then:

1) Click the "File" category.

2) Click the "Save as eBook" item from the "Commands" box.

3) Click in the "New hot key" box, and press the desired key combination (F11, for example).

4) Click the "Assign" button.

5) Click the "OK" button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assigning_hot_key.gif
Views:	375
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	44731  
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

You can open up to 100 documents in Atlantis simultaneously. In the "File | Open..." window of Atlantis you can use Ctrl+Click or Shift+Click to select multiple documents. Or select the desired documents in Windows Explorer, and open them in Atlantis with drag & drop (capture the selected files in Windows Explorer with the mouse, then drag to the Atlantis window, and drop onto the Atlantis toolbars, document bar, or status bar).

When you have a document open in Atlantis, you can press the following keys and key combinations to convert it to EPUB, and switch to another open document:

1) Press F11 (or another hot key that you assigned to the "Save as eBook" command).
2) Press Enter to confirm the filename for your EPUB.
3) Press Enter to "click" the "OK" button in the "Save as eBook" window.
4) Press Ctrl+W to close the active document of Atlantis.

So only 4 key presses are needed to save the active document as EPUB, and close it:

F11
Enter
Enter
Ctrl+W

Just repeat the above 4 steps (4 key combinations), and you could convert hundreds of documents in minutes.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
My God, what is with all this awp spamming their for-pay product which doesn't even do the thing the OP wants to do?

You can batch convert with a simple script using calibre alongside any number of Word to html converters, such as that provided by abiword. If you don't want to use abiword, I'm sure there are other options.

If you want help writing the .bat file, perhaps I'll write it when I have a spare moment to boot into my Windows partition to test.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
awp
Addict

1) I am not spamming. I am suggesting a solution. It is up to Laura to decide if it is OK with her.

2) Not everyone is a programmer. Your "simple solutions" might not be so simple to ordinary users.

3) Developing commercial software never was a crime. If not paying for software makes you happier, I am glad for you. But not everyone thinks in the same way as you do.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

If someone posts to a list asking for free software that will batch convert doc to epub, and you respond by promoting software that is not free and that does not batch convert doc to epub, you are spamming.

I am not a programmer either. No programming is necessary unless you consider writing a two line batch file a "program".

I have no objection to paying for software in any circumstance. The original poster asked for free software. It is therefore the only thing which it is relevant to discuss.

But I'm rather not have a flame war. I'll be back with the necessary batch file soon.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-01-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
awp
Addict

Please reread this entire thread. I never suggested Atlantis Word Processor as a "free solution".

Posts #2, #3, and #5 of this thread all mention Atlantis Word Processor, and they are not mine. My first post to this thread is #10. When someone says that Atlantis Word Processor generates an invalid EPUB file, why I cannot ask for details? When Laura said that "Atlantis worked perfectly", and asked for batch conversion "in Atlantis", what's wrong with replying with MY solution?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
awp, thanks for your suggestions but honestly, to me, I'm looking for a simpler solution. Maybe nothing exists to simply batch my doc files to epub.

frabjous, thanks for your suggestions a well but as far as I understand what you've said I would first have to save my doc files in html format and then convert the html format to epub. I simply just want a way to directly convert my doc files to epub with no middle process. Just like calibre can do with any other format bar doc. But as I said above, maybe nothing like this exists.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
frabjous
Wizard

Laura,

No, what I'm suggesting is a single batch file that will both batch convert your .doc files to .html and then batch convert the .html files to .epub files.

As I noted, the batch file is two lines long:

Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
Here's what you need to do:

1. Download and install AbiWord. It's completely free.
2. Download and install calibre. It's completely free.
3. Copy and paste the two lines above into Notepad, and save a file named "doc2epub.bat" or anything else whose name you'll remember ending in .bat. Save it in the same folder where your .doc files are.

The lines assume you're using a 64-bit operating system. If not, then use this instead:

Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
The only difference is where the .exe files are located. You'll probably want to double check that the programs got installed in the same directories that mine were. I cannot test on a 32-bit version of windows, since I don't have access to one.

4. Navigate in Windows explorer to the folder where your .doc files are, and double click on "doc2epub".

The batch file will convert all the .doc files in the folder to html, and then convert all the .html files to .epub.

There's a lot of tweaking that can be done there to make the script better, especially with regard to how it handles filenames, metadata, etc., but it's hard for me to predict without knowing what your files are like. You might just want to cut and paste the FIRST line, and run that. That will batch convert your files to HTML. You then might want to use the graphical user interface in calibre to batch convert the HTML to ePub. That's really up to you.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-01-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow frabjous! Thanks a lot! I've created the .bat file and am ready to try it... I have other files in that folder that are not .doc files... is that ok? Or should only .doc files be in that folder?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #25
Laura81
Addict

Ok, went ahead and did it, worked great! Thank you so much! The only problem I've found so far is that some of the characters don't seem to be turning out in the epub versions so maybe just using the first line and then using calibre directly would solve that.

But thanks so much! Being able to batch convert all the doc files to html first makes it a hell of a lot easier!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #26
frabjous
Wizard

It doesn't matter whether other files are in there, although make sure you don't have any .epub or .html files with the same names as the .doc files, or they'll get overwritten. (I think... actually, I'm not sure what will happen, but it won't be good.)

Also, any other .html files in the folder will get converted to .epub along with the .doc files, but I doubt that's a problem.

P.S. Sorry, didn't see your note about the characters not converting. I doubt using calibre's GUI would help. The thing would be to try to find out where the problem is caused. Open the intermediate .html files and see if they're OK inside there. If they're OK, the problem is calibre's. If not, the problem is AbiWord's.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-01-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #27
Laura81
Addict

Oh, I meant to say the only issue I have is that now I have a heap of files appearing where there weren't any before... like dll files showing up... I'll try to get a screen shot of it.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #28
Laura81
Addict

Here's an attachment with what is showing up on my hard drive... are these from the conversions? They weren't there until I did them.
Attached Files
File Type: doc odd.doc (211.0 KB, 292 views)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
P.S. Sorry, didn't see your note about the characters not converting. I doubt using calibre's GUI would help. The thing would be to try to find out where the problem is caused. Open the intermediate .html files and see if they're OK inside there. If they're OK, the problem is calibre's. If not, the problem is AbiWord's.
I checked... the problem was on the original word doc so the script you wrote seems to have worked perfectly as I checked another one and compared all 3 versions and the html and epub were both perfect!

So again, thanks so much! I imagine I can just paste that dat file anywhere I like and use it the same way.

Now I just have to figure out where the wierd .dll files are coming from and if I can delete them or not.

EDIT: I am wondering if all those files could have actually been put there when I installed AbiWord... maybe I should just delete them and then see if AbiWord still works. For now though they can stay and I'm going to bed. Will deal with them in the afternoon when I get up.

Last edited by Laura81; 02-01-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Here's an attachment with what is showing up on my hard drive... are these from the conversions? They weren't there until I did them.
Those .dll and .txt files aren't the result of the script, though they may be the result of installing either Abiword or calibre. I looked at my Windows partition and they were there too. If I had to guess, I'd say they're a byproduct from using the .msi installation routine, and/or using Internet Explorer to download the programs to install, since the EULA files are Microsoft-related. Typical microsoft messiness.

I went ahead and deleted them, and everything still worked just fine, including my conversion script.

Yeah, you can copy or move the .bat file from one folder to another, and run it whereever.