Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
Will non-drm prc (mobi) files work with the Kindle app?

Hello,

I am using Mobipocket on my Blackberry to do some light reading when I have a chance. All of my files are prc/mobi files and drm free. Will I be able to read these files in the new Blackberry Kindle App? I know the App for Blackberry is not yet released, but for those who use the iPhone are you able to read just plain prc files on your iPhone?

I want to ditch the Mobipocket ereader because it is flakey and being phased out, but no other blackberry readers will read my prc files.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
You know that the Amazon format (azw, not topaz) is just plain mobipocket, right?
The Kindle for PC application reads regular prc files that are without DRM. So, I do not see any reason for the Blackberry application not to support prc files.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The issue is going to be how to get your non-DRM mobi books onto your Blackberry and into the app. If the Kindle for Blackberry app is anything like the Kindle for iPod app, I don't know of a way to get non-Amazon books into the app.

Folks have figured out a way to pull books out of the Kindle for iPod app but I don't know if anyone has been able to reverse the process with books from another source.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Get PRC/Mobi Files into Kindle Apps

I can't speak to the Kindle for Blackberry app, but as to Kindle for PC and Kindle for iPhone, it's relatively easy to load your mobi/prc files (without drm) purchased elsewhere. You just need to find the folder in which the Kindle App stores books and then add yours. So, for a PC running Windows 7, the folder is /documents/My Kindle Content. On an iPhone, the folder is var/mobile/applications/kindle/ebooks. Of course, to get a file into your iphone, it's a whole lot easier if you're jailbroken (i don't know how to do it if you're not). Hope that helps.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Did anyone figure this out? On the Blackberry Bold 9000 -- and I presume this is true for most other models -- data can be stored in a logical folder system that actually offloads to the data card. I'd expect the Blackberry app would be looking in there. Drop your files into that folder with a USB cable and -- voila! -- you should be good to go.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I don't know of a way to get non-Amazon books into the app.
You got to be kidding me . This will not be good for the Kindle app on the iPad (given its allowed on in the firsts place) if you can only access books from Amazon.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Sixes
Sixes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
On an iPhone, the folder is var/mobile/applications/kindle/ebooks. Of course, to get a file into your iphone, it's a whole lot easier if you're jailbroken (i don't know how to do it if you're not). Hope that helps.
FWIW, on my iPhone with iOS4 the path is:

Code:
/var/mobile/Applications/EC0CB312-385A-4B00-ADFA-F0FE0B9D6BE6/Documents/eBooks
But yes, just dropping a DRM-free .mobi file in works well.
Sixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Scottie
Scottie began at the beginning.

Device: 
Hey, it's really easy to get the mobi files onto your Mac, PC or iDevice. I put a simple writeup here.

http://www.allaboutgoingdigital.com/...ce-kindle-app/

Last edited by Scottie; 03-07-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The issue is going to be how to get your non-DRM mobi books onto your Blackberry and into the app. If the Kindle for Blackberry app is anything like the Kindle for iPod app, I don't know of a way to get non-Amazon books into the app.

Folks have figured out a way to pull books out of the Kindle for iPod app but I don't know if anyone has been able to reverse the process with books from another source.
I have received documents in an email, then when they open up, I am asked which app I want to use to read them. Not sure if I can get the kindle to do it though.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote