Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #31
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I modified Garamond No. 8 for e-ink.

I am not a master, but I tried my best. Hinted and done kerning.

edit: I will work on kerning a little more.

Last edited by GERGE; 07-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #32
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems I am not good enough to do kerning by myself. So I went and bought one of my favorite typefaces (Simoncini Garamond) and edited the weight and hinting for high resolution e-ink.

This is actually the first time I bought a typeface, there was no reason to buy one before now, I am not a designer - just as a very interested person in the topic, I try to collect books with nice typograpy (not going very well since I started eReading).

This situation I found myself in was actually one of the things I wanted to discuss in this topic. I believe new e-ink devices are slowly changing the way we connect with the type. We can make our own decisions regading type now, and honesly, it feels liberating.

By the way, this is the end result with the Simoncini, it looks much better and solid than the picture, I am rubbish with cameras:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_20140724_09_45_04_pro.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	125774  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #33
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Is there a particular reason why the lower-case g and j are cut off at the bottom?
They aren't on my Aura HD. It's my standard font.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #34
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
They aren't on my Aura HD. It's my standard font.
But they are in his adjusted version; at least in the preview under Win7.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #35
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
But they are in his adjusted version; at least in the preview under Win7.
I just looked at it in the font viewer, and I see what you mean. On my Kobo that isn't the case.

Looks like in the font viewer the BoundingBox (in PostScript terms) is exactly equal to (ascender height + descender height) and the descenders of the round letters have a bit of overshoot (the q, for instance, isn't cut off).

I'm not sure that's supposed to happen (the round letter descenders having over shoot); I'm inclined to say that the descender height should be fixed for all letters. But I'm not a typographer, so who knows.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #36
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I just looked at it in the font viewer, and I see what you mean. On my Kobo that isn't the case.

Looks like in the font viewer the BoundingBox (in PostScript terms) is exactly equal to (ascender height + descender height) and the descenders of the round letters have a bit of overshoot (the q, for instance, isn't cut off).

I'm not sure that's supposed to happen (the round letter descenders having over shoot); I'm inclined to say that the descender height should be fixed for all letters. But I'm not a typographer, so who knows.
Ah, so long as it looks good on the reader. (I just tried the font out in Word: the descenders were cut off but looked perfectly fine when printed out.)

Last edited by ST-One; 07-24-2014 at 06:42 AM.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In some cases, the default font lacks weight. That's why I modified CharisSIL to add more weight. So it gives more contrast and even at a larger size it looks better. The hinted version fixes some font issues such as thin lines. While the default font may be OK, a hand tweaked font can be better.

I have tried my version of CharisSIL on a Kindle Touch and it looks much better then the default Kindle font.
What did you use to modify the font?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What did you use to modify the font?
I used some version of Font Creator. I also used ttfautohin to add hinting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #39
GERGE
Guru

This one is nice too : http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/alegreya

I also started to work on my own typeface for e-ink, using Glyphs.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #40
GERGE
Guru

The typeface I told abaout above looks very nice on eInk with some adjustments. It was very thin, so I added some weight, re-done hinting, checked kerning.

Check it: http://cl.ly/1h2Z0u3w4209

This is the pro version: http://www.huertatipografica.com/fonts/alegreya-ht-pro
Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #41
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
This one is nice too : http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/alegreya

I also started to work on my own typeface for e-ink, using Glyphs.
The Alegreya is beautiful indeed. Thanks for the tip!

Since you seem to be using a Kobo reader: You can save yourself a lot of work making fonts bolder by installing the "Freedom to advanced font control" patch from the many nice patches provided by GeoffR here.

It allows you to control font weight on the reader for sideloaded fonts just like for the original ones. It seems they have to be True Type fonts though.

Here's my version of the original Alegreya. All I did was use Type Light to check that the internal font names match the external ones (which used to be important for Kobos to correctly display bold and italic fonts, not sure if that has been fixed by now...) and convert the otf fonts to TT curves. Looks very nice on my Aura HD.
Attached Files
File Type: zip alegreya-ttf.zip (141.0 KB, 175 views)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #42
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Another fan of Amasis here.
I've been using it since my Sony times.
Alegreya looks good, I'll give it a spin.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #43
GERGE
Guru

The problem is .ttf is inferior to .otf and Kobo supports .otf features and hinting. I think a little editing is better.

Kobo comes with Amasis but I never really liked it.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
The problem is .ttf is inferior to .otf and Kobo supports .otf features and hinting. I think a little editing is better.
So how can you get smallcaps from an OTF file for display in an ePub (noty kepub)?

I was playing around with the Alegreya TTF versions and I added hinting and they look so much better hinted then they did unhinted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #45
GERGE
Guru

I don't use ePub, so I wouldn't know. They don't show with ePubs? I didn't know Kobo renderers are *that* different!

OTF files I gave are hinted anyway. But I found out that TypeGenius (This is what it is called in Kobo, right?) works well with OTF too. So here is another Alegreya, this one is only named rightly (as in Kobo, machine show bold versions in the place of regulars)., original hinting, weight and spacing:

http://cl.ly/2J3H3Z1o440O