Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Seems that book shelves was hidden in firmware for almost a year and just available for everyone now. Pinch zoom could take just as long for Kobo Touch reader release.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Sameer once said they will add pinch zoom to firmware.
I don't think Sameer said that at all. He said "Unfortunately we do not support multi-touch on these devices." https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0440&page=3#31

The next comment Sameer gave in that same post was "This is something we can do and is on our roadmap." but he was talking about zooming in on pictures in epubs. He wasn't talking about zooming in with pinch/multi-touch...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I don't think Sameer said that at all. He said "Unfortunately we do not support multi-touch on these devices." https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0440&page=3#31
I think that's the post I was thinking of.
Quote:
The next comment Sameer gave in that same post was "This is something we can do and is on our roadmap." but he was talking about zooming in on pictures in epubs. He wasn't talking about zooming in with pinch/multi-touch...
The Touch already has zoom on images in kepubs. If you open the welcome guide, it is just a series of images. When you tap the middle to bring up the bottom menu, there is a zoom icon. It is also there for the cover page in other kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevormorse View Post
I just spent 1/2 hour at Chapters returning my pre order because of a bright pixel and the 3 they opened for me at Chapters all had bright pixels.
Oh dear. Sounds like the Nook GlowTouch all over again. I was afraid of this.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The difference is that with the Nook GlowTouch a bump would create a bright spot--usually more than a single pixel. I have not heard that with the Kobo Glo at all. I think what we are seeing with "our" bright pixel is a manufacturing defect.

FWIW, when you buy a computer display or a TV, there seems to be a threshold for the number of these that have to be there before the manufacturer or store will take them back.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I've used several demo units and my own, and have yet to see the bright spots people are complaining about

I do wonder how many of there are manufacturing defects (aka: crap got under the screen during assembly) versus "I need to clean the screen" post-factory issues. Certainly, the Glo seems to have less of a 'headlight' effect than the Paperwhite... and better availability - no matter what GoodEreader says.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
@Haesslich--none of the ones I have seen here in Alberta (and I have seen about a dozen at this point) have this issue. I did wonder if those easterners got a bad batch. Where are you?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
@Haesslich--none of the ones I have seen here in Alberta (and I have seen about a dozen at this point) have this issue. I did wonder if those easterners got a bad batch. Where are you?
I've been checking out readers in store in the Prairies. I think either the first batch shipped was bad, or people are confusing the shadow at the bottom for a 'bright' spot in some situations. Or there's bandwagon jumping by disgruntled Kindle Paperwhite users, on other forums and blogs.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The difference is that with the Nook GlowTouch a bump would create a bright spot--usually more than a single pixel. I have not heard that with the Kobo Glo at all. I think what we are seeing with "our" bright pixel is a manufacturing defect.

FWIW, when you buy a computer display or a TV, there seems to be a threshold for the number of these that have to be there before the manufacturer or store will take them back.
Actually it can be much worse than just a number of bright/dead pixels on screens. On my cell phone the warranty said it had to have at least eight bright/dead pixels for it to be considered a defect or two bright/dead pixels within X proximity of each other (I forget the exact spacing as it's been over a year since I read the manual and warranty).

Honestly, if it really is just one bright pixel, the actual size of q pixel (and not a bigger bright spot), one normally gets used to it with time.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Actually it can be much worse than just a number of bright/dead pixels on screens. On my cell phone the warranty said it had to have at least eight bright/dead pixels for it to be considered a defect or two bright/dead pixels within X proximity of each other (I forget the exact spacing as it's been over a year since I read the manual and warranty).

Honestly, if it really is just one bright pixel, the actual size of q pixel (and not a bigger bright spot), one normally gets used to it with time.
I dont quite understand how a device that uses eink in black and white can cause so much issues. That said KG screen seems to be all even and perfect. That said who knows what the cause is. It could be a software issue, where the the software is causing the problem.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
I'd posted elsewhere that my Glo didn't have any bright pixels .... but ....

I've just realised that I do have one bright spot, but I think pixel is the wrong term, as I don't think it's related to the e-ink pixels at all.

It's like a pinprick in the frontlighting layer, and in my case at least it's only visible from one particular angle, both horizontally and vertically, lucky for me it's only when staring "down" onto the reader with it tilted to the left, the bright dot doesn't correspond to any blemish I can see within the screen with the frontlight turned off, and I only noticed it when viewing in darkness.

I guess other angles could be possible and it would be annoying if it happened to be visible from directly in front, or if there were several of them so you saw one from various angles, mine isn't worth complaining about.
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #27
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
I also found it more prone to become unresponsive due to foreign material. For instance if you leave the smallest drop of water on your hands and it ends up on the screen it can make it unresponsive
That sounds odd to me ...

As I understand it, the KG uses the same zForce "touch" technology as the KT, which is to say it doesn't actually depend on touch at all, but rather it detects you interrupting a series of horizontal and vertical infrared beams which are mounted above the display, if you're careful you can trigger them without touching the screen at all ...
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
hyperpiper45
hyperpiper45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I unfortunately have issues with two bright pixels/defects in the screen. I tried to capture it but it is actually much brighter in real life.

hyperpiper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Honestly, that looks far less annoying than the Nook GlowTouch's prominent "holes".
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
datalossfs
Ebook Addict
datalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glow
I would say it was the coating on the screen or dust between that layer, you could try shinning another light source on it to see how it reacts to that light when the glo light is turned off.
datalossfs is offline   Reply With Quote