Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Elizardbeth
Elizardbeth began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Nobel Nook
Question Getting Too Many Activations Error message

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm trying to active my Nook in Adobe Digital Editions so I can download ebooks from the library but I keep getting this Too Many Activations error. Does anyone know how to rectify this? I'd love to hear from you.
Elizardbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
This means that Adobe has recorded six computer activations or six device authorizations on your account. They don't count "deactivating" or "deauthorizing", so if you've had some authorization problems or some replacement NOOKs, you can bump into this limit even if you only have one device. My wife and I have 3 computers and 2 NOOKs, but weirdness on Sony's end caused them to reactivate my computer repeatedly for a while, and I hit the limit twice! (In one case, NOOKstudy contributed to this.)

All you can do is to put in a trouble ticket with Adobe. It will take a couple of days to process, during which time they probably will "escalate" your request to a supervisor. Annoying as heck, but that's life with Adobe Digital Editions. Eventually they'll "reset your limit". They're supposed to let you know when it's done, but for me they did one time but not the other, so check back every day or so and see if you can authorize.

Don't call Adobe Support. ADE support is entirely through online trouble tickets, and it's not really obvious how to do that. Go to this page: http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal and log in with your Adobe account. After you're logged in, you may need to go back to that page again. In the bottom half is the start of the Web trouble ticket process.
  1. Click the "Technical Support" tab if it's not already selected
  2. Choose issue type="Using a product or service"
  3. Click the radio button for "Additional Products"
  4. Choose "Adobe Digital Editions" from the dropdown list that appears
  5. Click the Continue button and you're finally ready to enter your request.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
musicmama
musicmama began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
You may be able to get this resolved more quickly if there is an online chat session available.
Also, if you know that you are going to be replacing or even hard-resetting a nook or nook color, you should probably manually de-register it first. Here are the directions I got from online ADE agent chat below:
1. You will have to connect the Nook with your computer to deauthorize it.
2. You can Press Control + Shift+ D together. ( on a Mac, press Shift + Command + D ) to de-authorize your computer.
** Only Adobe can see how many devices are on your account.
musicmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Also, if you know that you are going to be replacing or even hard-resetting a nook or nook color, you should probably manually de-register it first.
Since all that deactivation does is to erase the activation information for the device (ie is very definitely does NOT contact the Adobe server), there isn't much reason to do this outside of getting rid of the device.

But yes, I have heard that the Adobe chat tech support is handling activation resets...
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Elizardbeth
Elizardbeth began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Nobel Nook
Smile

Thanks. I'll give this a whirl.
Elizardbeth is offline   Reply With Quote