Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
K3 screen broken

I had originally bought it at Best Buy. Do I contact them or Amazon to return it?
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
In the UK it is the retailer who would be contacted .... so depends .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

I'm in the US.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
I had originally bought it at Best Buy. Do I contact them or Amazon to return it?
Use the "call back" feature on Amazons kindle support page........scroll to the bottom,. click the "contact us" button, sign into your account and they'll call back immediately and tell you what should be done.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
best buy will take it back if you have receipt and it's under the return time... they won't help otherwise... they wont work with your either
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

How did it break? If you dropped it or sat on it or something of that nature and you don't have an extended warranty that covers such accidents, you will probably have to do some fast talking to get BB to replace it even if it is within their 15 or 30 day return time. If BB won't deal with you, call Amazon CS and try them.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

I purchased it on Friday, with whatever warranty that was included.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Okay, I called Amazon and they're replacing it. Let's see how long it'll take until delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
How did it break?
I put it in a M-edge case fitted for K2 (it's all I have right now) and put it in my backpack. After driving to school, I take it out and see the screen has cracked.

I'll post pics for anyone curious.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Okay, I called Amazon and they're replacing it. Let's see how long it'll take until delivery.

I put it in a M-edge case fitted for K2 (it's all I have right now) and put it in my backpack. After driving to school, I take it out and see the screen has cracked.

I'll post pics for anyone curious.
Amazon usually ships replacements overnight.

May I suggest that you use several pieces of velcro to attached the K3 to the K2 cover until you can get a cover which is the right size.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Amazon usually ships replacements overnight.

May I suggest that you use several pieces of velcro to attached the K3 to the K2 cover until you can get a cover which is the right size.
Does that permanently affect the cover in any way? I'm borrowing my friend's cover until my lighted K3 cover arrives in a week or so.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Does that permanently affect the cover in any way? I'm borrowing my friend's cover until my lighted K3 cover arrives in a week or so.
If I'm not mistaken, you only have one replacement chance with your warranty, correct?

Seriously, I'd leave it at home until you get the proper case......and even then, its not meant to handle much pressure.

These are delicate instruments......not like the cell phones we can drop and have them work like new.

Which I"ve done several times.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You'd need to attach the velcro to the cover and Kindle. If the adhesive is particularly strong then it may permanently affect the cover and Kindle. I don't expect that you'd use the sewn on kind of velcro
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Seriously, I'd leave it at home until you get the proper case......and even then, its not meant to handle much pressure.

These are delicate instruments......not like the cell phones we can drop and have them work like new.

Which I"ve done several times.
Before this, I owned a DX for a little over a year and subjected it to very harsh use; carrying it around in a backpack full of textbooks can certainty take its toll on a device. Maybe I'll have to baby my K3 a bit more, but I do have a gut feeling that the one I received was defective in some way.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Before this, I owned a DX for a little over a year and subjected it to very harsh use; carrying it around in a backpack full of textbooks can certainty take its toll on a device. Maybe I'll have to baby my K3 a bit more, but I do have a gut feeling that the one I received was defective in some way.
What did the screen look like when it was broken? If it had diagonal lines and blobs of black/white which didn't change then it was because the screen glass has cracked due to an impact or too much pressure.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Many of us who also own the Kindle 1 have used velco with the horrible cover that originally came with the device. I never has damage to my Kindle or my cover. It was not super industrial strength velcro, but the stick on squares which can be purchase almost anywhere.

As DG says, I would order a properly sized cover asap. I didn't take my K3 out of the house until my cover arrived.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote