Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
geosynchrono.us
geosynchrono.us doesn't littergeosynchrono.us doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
just sent this in a pm to kovid goyal:

Hi Kovid --

First off, I want to say I think we got off on the wrong foot.

I only got a Kindle last week, and Calibre after that, and just learned Joomla, etc. to make this website -- so if I've been attributing things incorrectly it's because of my naivety, not anything malicious.

re: hiding calibre -- I was having problems getting my server to update the files and was having to mess with the tags so that when i used save to disk, it would rename them with the correct filenames. i tried changing the author, publisher, etc and switching them around, using those tags to try to save with better filenames. should i change the publisher back to calibre? i wasn't aware that this is a field i shouldn't edit. i have no problem doing this and can add that metadata back in during today's update.

re: contributors -- what's the proper way, with the gpl license, to acknowledge the recipe makers? i have a list of contributors in the CALIBRE_CONTRIBUTORS category (you're on there, for sure. thanks). just not sure if this is the proper way...

re:comments, etc -- I really didn't make any account other than this one. I swear to you. Not sure if that's enough, but if not I'm sure someone on the forum can check to see that the accounts aren't the same.

basically, i realized that doing this was possible and wanted to get the site up in a hurry.

your help complying with the gpl license and also properly attributing calibre would be appreciated.

please accept my sincerest apologies, i didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

you can reach me at admin@geosynchrono.us.

thanks,
geosynchrono.us

Last edited by geosynchrono.us; 07-31-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typos
geosynchrono.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
We should probably be giving people the benefit of the doubt. Definitely inform him of his mistakes, but I think the accusations are uncalled for at this point!
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as attributing calibre, dont change the metadata in the files and add a notice to your website describing what software you use to create the files.

But what you're doing is still illegal, you cannot redistribute copyrighted content, without the permission of the copyright holders, in this case, the publishers creating the news websites. The fact that you are doing it for free, doesn't make it legal.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #19
stinkymonkey
stinkymonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
when will this site be up again?
stinkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkymonkey View Post
when will this site be up again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

But what you're doing is still illegal, you cannot redistribute copyrighted content, without the permission of the copyright holders, in this case, the publishers creating the news websites. The fact that you are doing it for free, doesn't make it legal.
I would say probably never
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #21
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... when will this site be up again?

Why? Do you enjoy stealing the works of others?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... when will this site be up again?

Why? Do you enjoy stealing the works of others?
"stealing" something that I can also get for free legally? I don't see any harm done?
The publishers sure do, but - at least here - they also complain about google indexing their pages and think that google news is illegal..

That does of course not relate to the usage of calibre, nor does it mean that I suggest it is legal - nevertheless I don't see any reason for any ethical accusation.
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
draftpick
draftpick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
is the geosynchrono still active? went there and it was just pretty much a blank page
draftpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftpick View Post
is the geosynchrono still active? went there and it was just pretty much a blank page
chances are when you are dealing with a really old thread, the info is no longer valid, otherwise it would still be a subject that was discussed. it was dying last july and really dead in september. this is may

welcome to the forums
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, free, geosynchrono.us, kindle, wireless