Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #46
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
In order to backup my kindle books using a Calibre plug in, I had to enter my Kindle device's serial number. If I were to change to a kobo, would I need to keep that kindle device registered on Amazon to continue using the Calibre plug ins? Or was that just a one time activation for the plug in to work with Calibre? I was wondering if it is possible to keep purchasing ebooks on Amazon and reading on a Kobo without having a kindle registered on Amazon. Or would going "post kindle" mean suspending the purchase of new Amazon ebooks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
In order to backup my kindle books using a Calibre plug in, I had to enter my Kindle device's serial number. If I were to change to a kobo, would I need to keep that kindle device registered on Amazon to continue using the Calibre plug ins? Or was that just a one time activation for the plug in to work with Calibre? I was wondering if it is possible to keep purchasing ebooks on Amazon and reading on a Kobo without having a kindle registered on Amazon. Or would going "post kindle" mean suspending the purchase of new Amazon ebooks?

You'll need to keep your Kindle registered, even if you read on another device.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #48
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I was wondering if it is possible to keep purchasing ebooks on Amazon and reading on a Kobo without having a kindle registered on Amazon. Or would going "post kindle" mean suspending the purchase of new Amazon ebooks?
You can certainly purchase books from Amazon, strip DRM and import into Calibre without owning a Kindle, using the older version of Kindle for PC.
I've never owned a Kindle device, but have just over 1500 books 'bought' (some will have been free) from Amazon in my Calibre library.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #49
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Whenever I think LCD would be a better experience than e-ink, or the reverse, I flip over my Yotaphone 2.

I'm partly stuck in the Kindle universe because I love sending long articles on the web to my Kindles via Push To Kindle from fivefilters (both the Chrome extension and the Android app, which I think might be a paid app). Much more reliable than Amazon's Send to Kindle. Kobo's Pocket integration is an alternative that might work better for some.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You can certainly purchase books from Amazon, strip DRM and import into Calibre without owning a Kindle, using the older version of Kindle for PC.
I've never owned a Kindle device, but have just over 1500 books 'bought' (some will have been free) from Amazon in my Calibre library.
The OP uses a Mac. I don't know which version of the OS, but the old versions of Kindle for PC can't be installed on the newest versions of Mac OS.
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #51
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The OP uses a Mac. I don't know which version of the OS, but the old versions of Kindle for PC can't be installed on the newest versions of Mac OS.
One could run Windows in a VP on a Mac
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
One could run Windows in a VP on a Mac
Do you mean ‘VM’?

You can run older versions of MacOS in a VM as well, with Apple’s blessing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #53
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Right now I like the kindle way of things, I find the syncing of even borrowed content across multiple devices to be extremely useful. I can also backup on my PC any amazon book I directly paid for, so I have no complaints.

But to truly become "post kindle" and not have any kindle devices, I would need to purchase my ebooks somewhere else besides Amazon? This is assuming I only use up to date OS and Calibre software.

Which means the question of what device used post kindle also includes where to make future ebook purchases?

Old 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which means the question of what device used post kindle also includes where to make future ebook purchases?

Kobo, Google Play, Books-A-Million. Smashwords for indies. Also many publishers sell directly, Baen for example. (Beware of buying directly from Harper & Collins, you can't download your purchase afterwards. They only allow to read books purchased from their website in the BookShout app and won't give you any book file to download).

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-19-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #55
Tomk2
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo, Google Play, Books-A-Million. Smashwords for indies. Also many publishers sell directly, Baen for example. (Beware of buying directly from Harper & Collins, you can't download your purchase afterwards. They only allow to read books purchased from their website in the BookShout app and won't give you any book file to download).
Thank You! I believe I have used the Been website before.

Also, If I directly transfer an ebook from my kindle device to Calibre, I can not open or convert the kfx file. Yet the same ebook can be downloaded from the amazon website as an AZW3 file, which I can open and convert. Am I dependent upon Amazon to continue to support this direct download method so that I can get an ebook into Calibre? Or is there another method?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Also, If I directly transfer an ebook from my kindle device to Calibre, I can not open or convert the kfx file. Yet the same ebook can be downloaded from the amazon website as an AZW3 file, which I can open and convert. Am I dependent upon Amazon to continue to support this direct download method so that I can get an ebook into Calibre? Or is there another method?
There is the option to install an old version of Kindle for PC, which doesn't support the KFX format. I use the version 1.17. But those old versions can't be installed on the newest Mac OS. It's been said here that you can install them in a VM, though. (I don't have a Mac myself).

Basically that's it. Either register an eink Kindle and use the Amazon download method, or install an old Kindle for PC.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #57
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do you mean ‘VM’?

You can run older versions of MacOS in a VM as well, with Apple’s blessing.
Yes, vm. 🤓
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #58
Tomk2
Groupie

Well, I dug out an old computer running Windows Vista, downloaded old Nook Study and Nook PC programs, but can not sign into B&N with those old programs to get my nook ebooks. It seems that I missed the boat for backing up my Nook Books. I can say with certainty I am "post Nook," and have given up on my Nook books.

Does Walmart carry all the Kobo devices in store ?

Old 09-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Well, I dug out an old computer running Windows Vista, downloaded old Nook Study and Nook PC programs, but can not sign into B&N with those old programs to get my nook ebooks. It seems that I missed the boat for backing up my Nook Books. I can say with certainty I am "post Nook," and have given up on my Nook books.
I wanted B&N to succeed so Amazon has some competition but they made it harder and harder to download my books so I eventually switched:
  1. no more website downloads (graphic novels were never available on Nook for PC) -> switched to Nook Windows store app
  2. changed something on Windows store app graphic novel downloads so Alf tools don't work -> switched to Android app
  3. moved the books from regular to secure storage requiring root -> double checked to make sure I had every Nook book downloaded and deDRM'd and switched to Kindle

Quote:
Does Walmart carry all the Kobo devices in store?
I don't think my local Walmart even carries any. They're all just ship to store.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I wanted B&N to succeed so Amazon has some competition but they made it harder and harder to download my books so I eventually switched:
  1. no more website downloads (graphic novels were never available on Nook for PC) -> switched to Nook Windows store app
I don't blame you for ditching B&N. But I bought graphic novels in the Nook for PC days and had no issues downloading them.

I bought one more recently and downloaded it using the Nook Windows 10 app.

DRM became an issue on the later, but downloading the graphic novels as epubs wasn't a problem with either.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote