Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
sidaja
sidaja began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question Page numbers in epub pageList

I have an epub with page numbers defined in pageList in toc.ncx, but the page numbers are not showing up in any reader software that I've tested with (ADE, Calibre, iBooks, FBReader). And navigation by page number uses the reader's generated page numbers, not the supplied numbers. Any ideas?

It's possible this feature just isn't supported (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...#post3474229):

Quote:
However, AFAIK, I don't know of any epub2 app that actually displays pageList page numbers.
What's somewhat odd to me is that the epub defines itself as epub v3.0, but it uses toc.ncx and pageList, instead of page-list in nav. See http://kb.daisy.org/publishing/docs/.../pagelist.html. Does this matter? Are there apps that respect page numbers in epub3? Perhaps creating a nav would help?
sidaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
An epub2 with pagelist page numbers can be converted to page-map page numbers by using kindlegen to make a dual mobi then extracting an epub from that with kindleunpack. Maybe that would also work with epub3, but I don't know.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:31 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I see it's your first post, welcome to MobileRead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidaja View Post
What's somewhat odd to me is that the epub defines itself as epub v3.0, but it uses toc.ncx and pageList, instead of page-list in nav. [...] Does this matter?
Yes.

Also see my Post #11 in "Real Page Numbers for Reflowable Kindles", where I lay out differences between EPUB2 (page-map or pageList) + EPUB3 (page-list).

If what you're saying is true, I'm not completely sure the apps would recognize an EPUB3 accidentally using an EPUB2 method (pageList). Can't say I ever tested it though.

Quote:
Are there apps that respect page numbers in epub3?
Yes. ADE (Windows/Mac/Linux), and Gitden Reader + PocketBook (Android) are excellent programs to use, and support and follow lots of the EPUB standards.*

Note on page-list specifically: I haven't messed with page numbers in a long time, but AZARDI (Windows) and iBooks (Mac/iOS) definitely support EPUB3 page numbers (I believe they show up as little numbered bubbles).

I also just tested in ADE 4.5, and the page-List is displayed below the TOC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE4.5.-.Page-List.png
Views:	346
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	178312

Quote:
Perhaps creating a nav would help?
Yes, you'd most likely have to finagle some of the code to use the EPUB3 method of page numbers.

Doitsu's "PageList" plugin for Sigil should help.

You'd have to use regex to adjust your EPUB2 code:

Code:
<a id="page123" />
into EPUB3:

Code:
<span epub:type="pagebreak" id="page112" title="123"></span>
or:

Code:
<span epub:type="pagebreak" id="page123">123</span>
and then run the plugin, and it will add the pages to your <nav epub:type="page-list">.

If you need an example EPUB3 with a working page-list, see Doitsu's EPUB3 of "Gibran, Kahlil: The Madman".

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-12-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@sidaja

iBooks/Apple Books supports printed page numbers, but only in epub3 books. (You can convert your epub2 book to an epub3 book with the ePub3-itizer Sigil plugin.)

Note that in iBooks/Apple Books, you'll need to select the TOC and then tap Tap to show printed page numbers. (If you don't see this option, the NAV page list is invalid or missing.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pn.PNG
Views:	238
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	178313  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
sidaja
sidaja began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try some of these and see what works.
sidaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:53 AM   #6
foobnix
Connoisseur
foobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it isfoobnix knows what time it is

Device: Librera PRO - 50% OFF - Black Friday
This feature is available in the new Librera Reader application (beta.librera.mobi)
https://librera.mobi/what-is-new/
foobnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:56 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Showing page numbers in the ToC does not need to be an ePub 3 only feature. Sony did it with their Readers with ePub 2 and it worked well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:11 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Showing page numbers in the ToC does not need to be an ePub 3 only feature. Sony did it with their Readers with ePub 2 and it worked well.
But they did it by using non-spec compliant, ADE only, pagemap xml files and not the ncx pagelist.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But they did it by using non-spec compliant, ADE only, pagemap xml files and not the ncx pagelist.
Nope. Sony page numbers in the ToC have nothing to do with any page map. Sony showed page numbers in the ToC with a standard ePub 2. Any of the eBooks on MR would would have page numbers in the ToC on a Sony Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:39 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Real page numbers based on the ncx pagelist and not adobe pagemaps were not supported in early versions of ADE which Sony used, afaik. I will dig out my old Sony reader and verify.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote