Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 02:28 AM   #3091
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigismond0 View Post
You might be onto something there--I did install the VoiceView files on my EN-US language PW3 before doing the jailbreak. I did that because fomment 2783 suggested that being able to load the VoiceView module was a likely indication of a successful downgrade path. So testing that may actually be a somewhat necessary step on 5.8.10.1?
Could be so. Being able to install the VoiceView bin update file - which is also "FB02" type like the fw downgrade - is a good evidence that any other FB02 file would be accepted too. But nobody (except Amazon, of course... ) really knows if there's an internal counter which allows only one single "shot" in downgrading. In this case you could be out of luck after this testing.

When jailbreaking the miraculous 5.8.9.0.1 in two KT3 devices bought here in Germany, I didn't take that risk and therefore just tried to downgrade to the initial factory version before doing anything else.

Last edited by Antinoos; 01-29-2018 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #3092
Ramiroquai
Ramiroquai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
The original links don't work anymore =( I want jailbreak my PW3 again, and all the link in the tutorial are dead. Any help? Many thanks!
Ramiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #3093
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Read the first post of this thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #3094
ChbShoot
ChbShoot began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Just got out of a big box retail store with a KT3 (G000 K90). It is running 5.8.9.0.1

All I’ve done is the initial language selection. I have not yet signed in or joined a network

EDIT:
This is in the USA
Special offers should be enabled (have not done anything, wrote this in the parking lot)

Last edited by ChbShoot; 02-10-2018 at 02:11 PM.
ChbShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #3095
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In general, 5.8.9.0.1 can not be jail broken with this method.
But the KT3 is an exception, try it - starting at step #3
There are down-load links in the Wiki version of this process (see introduction part of first post).
Report back on what happens.
Advert
Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #3096
ChbShoot
ChbShoot began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Sorry for making ya repeat yourself, found that later a couple of pages back.

All clear! Just finished Step 7 on my KT3 so now running on 5.8.

Thanks for the insight and your contribution to this community
ChbShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #3097
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChbShoot View Post
Sorry for making ya repeat yourself, found that later a couple of pages back.

All clear! Just finished Step 7 on my KT3 so now running on 5.8.

Thanks for the insight and your contribution to this community
Congratulations.

I am glad to hear that the KT3 exception to jail breaking is still alive and well.
Hmm...
I think someone is also checking for the same thing on the KT2 -
But I haven't seen any results reported yet.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #3098
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
There's also another exception that may be KT3 specific:

I've never had any problems running the Kindlet versions (i.e. the *.azw2 files in the documents folder) of add-ins for jailbroken devices side by side with the "crabwise" way via KUAL booklet as claimed in post #1, step 8 being the only usable method for KT3 and KOA. E.g.: KUAL (I've two alternative entries for it, and both are working correctly), Vlasovsoft launcher, KindCalc - even with current firmwares (up to 5.8.11).
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #3099
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KT2 currently, soon PW3
Is there anywhere we can sign up to be notified if and when the jailbreak will work on the current version of software for the latest PW? I missed this the last time, and emailed many sellers on eBay over a month or so, but was not able to find one with a firmware version <= 5.8.7.
firstname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #3100
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstname View Post
Is there anywhere we can sign up to be notified if and when the jailbreak will work on the current version of software for the latest PW? I missed this the last time, and emailed many sellers on eBay over a month or so, but was not able to find one with a firmware version <= 5.8.7.
The "current version" is a moving target.
And it often takes longer to find a jail break than the current firmware remains current.

So pick a firmware version number, block updates on your device, and wait for a jail break of the one you have then.

Then you can use the rss feed of this forum + feed rinse + ifttt to get an immediate notification (e-mail or sms) of any post here that includes (your choice of keys) something like firmware version and the word(s) jail break.

I describe that recently here in a post to a different thread.
Search my posts of the past two or three weeks.

PS: We will never have a jail break for a device type of: None
It would help if you updated your information block in your CP.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #3101
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KT2 currently, soon PW3
Thumbs up

knc1 that sounds like good advice I will pick up a PW3 on eBay, block updates, and wait for further jailbreak development.
firstname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #3102
LeoPGiles
LeoPGiles began at the beginning.

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm really new to Jailbreaking Kindles.
I have a PW3 which was jailbroken on a downgradable firmware 5.3.5. After jailbreaking and setting up a couple of the Screensaver hacks etc I reset the device and within one horrible moment it updated to 5.9.2.0.1, Is it possible for me to recover my jailbreak as most sites say it can survive the updates.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

sorry if this has been asked too much, it is so hard to trudge through the web to find decent info and not worry about possibly making it irretrievable.

thanks in advance Leonard
LeoPGiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #3103
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
1) I reset the device and
2) within one horrible moment it updated to 5.9.2.0.1,
That is the only order of things which will remove the jail break.

(1) Erase the auto-reinstall code
(2) Overwrite our signature certificate with a new image file.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 AM   #3104
LeoPGiles
LeoPGiles began at the beginning.

Possible not reset but update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is the only order of things which will remove the jail break.

(1) Erase the auto-reinstall code
(2) Overwrite our signature certificate with a new image file.
I completely understand that, that will remove the jailbreak.

I think I may have just updated after jailbreak (now that I have slept on what I wrote) as somewhere online stated it should survive update when I jailbroke it. Is there anyway to check. I did all this months ago and not sure if reset. Also I know Kual doesn’t work atm is there a file that should work if I did just update and jailbreak survived?

Kind regards Leonard.
LeoPGiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 AM   #3105
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoPGiles View Post
I completely understand that, that will remove the jailbreak.

I think I may have just updated after jailbreak (now that I have slept on what I wrote) as somewhere online stated it should survive update when I jailbroke it. Is there anyway to check. I did all this months ago and not sure if reset. Also I know Kual doesn’t work atm is there a file that should work if I did just update and jailbreak survived?

Kind regards Leonard.
1) Try to install something of ours packaged in a update_*.bin format name.
(The test_dummy package attached to the first post of this thread comes to mind.)

2) Scroll down index page about 5 lines:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765

= = = =

Things are getting worse here, where instead of just having to re-print existing post (somewhat buried)...
I think this is the fourth time today somebody wanted me to press the page-down button for them.