Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 AM   #2851
gerhaher
Enthusiast
gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Sage
I'm a KOReader user for 9 months or so and the slow first search has always been there.

The size of my 3 dictionaries are 482 MB altogether. Is that unusually large? If so, maybe I should reconsider my dictionary choice...

And to correct myself: the first search/startup takes 45 seconds.

However, poire-z confirmed what I suspected: now the dictionary browse on startup.

Last edited by gerhaher; 10-03-2017 at 03:54 AM.
gerhaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #2852
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's probably more about the .ifo files than the size of the dictionary in total, but I suppose their size is highly correlated.

I don't know what's usual among users as we don't collect statistics or anything, but I would imagine that is indeed unusually large. The biggest dictionaries I can think of from the top of my head are the GNU Collaborative Dictionary and XML Littré, which top out at a little over 30 MB iirc.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #2853
gerhaher
Enthusiast
gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It's probably more about the .ifo files than the size of the dictionary in total, but I suppose their size is highly correlated.
I tried with a 36MB dictionary and it took only 5-6 seconds. So yes, there is a correlation.

Last edited by gerhaher; 10-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.
gerhaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #2854
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant a correlation between the size of the ifo files and the size of the dictionary, but I just realized I confused them with the idx files. The ifos are minuscule and should take milliseconds. There really is something quite odd going on in your case.

Edit: also, 5-6 seconds is not "only" but an eternity all by itself.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #2855
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
Hi everybody,

When I highlight the texts in any PDF, the highlighted text is kind of too dark, to the extent that reading the lightened text gives the impression of reading a darkened one! Is there a method for lessening the hue of highlights?

Thanks for taking the time,
Abe

Last edited by ebrahimpak; 10-09-2017 at 02:28 PM.
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #2856
Frenzie
Wizard

It seems to be hard-coded around here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ew.lua#L36-L39

But note that you can also choose other highlight options in the "Highlighting" menu (under the second icon from the left).
Old 10-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #2857
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OT:
That makes me wonder, I seem to remember Coolreader having a selection of background color "papers" that you could have under the text. Now that there is color rendering for Android versions, I wonder if the CR3 engine also supports that?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #2858
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Thanks to Frenzie and Ken. I still have problem with the dark hue of highlighted texts. The code is too lengthy to inspect, so I have to underline them all until someone provides more option on the 'darkenss' intensity to be reduced.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #2859
Frenzie
Wizard

Too lengthy to inspect? But I linked straight to the line that you can change to 0.1, 0.05, etc.!

Could you describe the problem in a little more detail though? I'm not sure I quite understand it.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 AM   #2860
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Quote:
Too lengthy to inspect? But I linked straight to the line that you can change to 0.1, 0.05, etc.!

Could you describe the problem in a little more detail though? I'm not sure I quite understand it.
The problem is that the highlighting color is very dark, and it's contrast to the text which is embedded within is not too much, hence reading the highlighted text would be difficult.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #2861
Frenzie
Wizard

I guess I would personally set the highlighting color a touch lighter but it doesn't seem problematic to me the way it is. :-)

If you could play around a little with the value we can see if there's a good solution.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #2862
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Quote:
I guess I would personally set the highlighting color a touch lighter but it doesn't seem problematic to me the way it is. :-)

If you could play around a little with the value we can see if there's a good solution.
Thanks dear Frenzie! You saved the day. By changing the "lighten_factor" into "1.17" I reached the normal highlight-level.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #2863
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrahimpak View Post
Thanks dear Frenzie! You saved the day. By changing the "lighten_factor" into "1.17" I reached the normal highlight-level.
I wonder if there might be, in part, an A1 issue here?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #2864
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I wonder if there might be, in part, an A1 issue here?
probably not, as I my eyes are not adapted to the highlight tone of Aura HD as well. Maybe it is just me who am a bit fastidious about it!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #2865
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Ever since updating my KA1 to one of the more recent firmwares (4.4.9298), when I press on a word to look it up in a dictionary in KOreader, it no longer works. It simply gives me a message about there being no definition for that entry, even when I know that there most definitely is.

Had hoped that the most recent Kobo FW would right that wrong. Unfortunately, not.

I have tried various nightly builds of KOreader. Have tried reinstalling KOreader. Have tried reinstalling the dictionaries... All to no avail.

When I press dictionary settings, the names of the dictionaries show up. So they are there, but non-functional for some reason.

The exact same dictionaries work just perfectly on my original 6" Aura running FW 3.19.5761. They also used to work on my KA1 when I was running older firmware with the old homescreen.

Not sure what has changed or if anything can be done about it. I would like to keep the new firmware on my KA1 because of the better accuracy it provides when running Nickel which I need to do for reading in Japanese. But I miss the lookup capabilities of KOreader when it comes to Chinese.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote