Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Yea!!! It worked. I am very excited to bring over all my ebooks from MobiPocket. Thanks again!
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #32
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
I've read thru thread after thread, installed python, copied so many scripts I'm blue in the face and no matter what I've tried I've never gotten past "Bad Key Length!" I guess I won't fret too much as I haven't purchased that many Mobi DRM'd books.

I'm giving up totally on anything except MS LIT which has a system I've actually managed to use.
Same here. I won't purchase MOBI books. I purchase LIT and then reverse engineer them via Calibre to MOBI for my BlackBerry.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #33
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Same here. I won't purchase MOBI books. I purchase LIT and then reverse engineer them via Calibre to MOBI for my BlackBerry.
I had the same problem. Dregar suggested I use Python 2.6. I had been using 3.0. He was right. It worked like a charm after that. Thanks again.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Does work like a charm. I bought some books with my fictionwise coupon last night, and was able to convert in a minute about 6 books. Now if someone could just figure out epub so I can read library books! Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Oh cool, thanks. I will give that a try and let you know how it worked. I am running 3.0.
MobiDeDRM will not work with Python 3.0

There were lots of changes to the language in 3.0.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #36
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I got the Applescripts (thanks to pdurrant!) but they don't seem to be working for me.

Anyone else using them and have them working? I'm pretty positive I'm using them properly (and changed the PID in the file.) But it asks for the PID and then does... nothing.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #37
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, I use pdurrant's applescripts. Very much appreciated too and have no problems. I installed them as per his instructions. I assume you did remember to copy over the mobidedrm script as the applescript doesn't include that?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard directly. He hadn't given the filenames .prc or .mobi extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Yes, I use pdurrant's applescripts. Very much appreciated too and have no problems. I installed them as per his instructions. I assume you did remember to copy over the mobidedrm script as the applescript doesn't include that?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #39
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yep. So I fixed it in the script to read azw as well and it works like a champ now! Beats opening up parallels and moving everything to Windows to work in the command line there every time!!

If I had MobiPocket Creator for Mac I'd never need to open the thing again! Though Calibre is reducing that need somewhat.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #40
avrignaud
avrignaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Seeking input on best formats to store Kindle eBooks after Mobidedrm

Hi all -

First time poster, and about to be first-time ebook/Kindle2 owner as well. I've been doing some research on supported book formats and found that I have some questions - I was hoping you might be able to help.

Short form, I'm a big believer in digital media... as long as I can use it on whatever device I want. I have no problem purchasing ebooks from Amazon for the Kindle, but I want to do my best to have the ability to read that book 20 years from now on whatever device makes the most sense. As such, MobiDeDRM *seems* to be a good answer. My questions are around the details - and likely fall out from my being a complete newbie here, so I apologize if these questions seem silly.

Question 1: What format does MobiDeDRM output a DRM-stripped Amazon mobipocket book format in? Is this a valid archive format I can keep (and read)? Or is it some sort of transitory format which I should translate into some other, readable format?

Question 2: If I need to translate the DRM-stripped ebook above into another format, what is recommended? I'm looking for best layout, portability, and no (or few) issues with tables, images, etc. Is it a .mobi? A .lit? etc.

The rule of three says I should have a last question, but honestly, I suspect getting the two above answered will get me a long way down the right path.

Thank you so much for any insight you might be able to share!

AV
avrignaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post
Question 1: What format does MobiDeDRM output a DRM-stripped Amazon mobipocket book format in? Is this a valid archive format I can keep (and read)? Or is it some sort of transitory format which I should translate into some other, readable format?
MobiDeDRM produces a Mobipocket format file identical to the original except for the lack of DRM.

Mobipocket format is OK as an archive format. The full specification isn't public, but enough has been reverse engineered that it's fairly easy to convert back to standard XHTML and metadata if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post
Question 2: If I need to translate the DRM-stripped ebook above into another format, what is recommended? I'm looking for best layout, portability, and no (or few) issues with tables, images, etc. Is it a .mobi? A .lit? etc.
Keep it as Mobipocket until you need it in something else. ePUB looks like being the best bet, but although Calibre does pretty good Mobi->ePub conversion now, it is only going to get better with time.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #42
avrignaud
avrignaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
MobiDeDRM produces a Mobipocket format file identical to the original except for the lack of DRM.

Mobipocket format is OK as an archive format. The full specification isn't public, but enough has been reverse engineered that it's fairly easy to convert back to standard XHTML and metadata if necessary.

Keep it as Mobipocket until you need it in something else. ePUB looks like being the best bet, but although Calibre does pretty good Mobi->ePub conversion now, it is only going to get better with time.
Thank you very much for your response!

I think I have one follow-up from your responses: how should I think about the other book formats out there? Ie, why did you recommend ePub - are there certain benefits to it vs. the Microsoft .LIT format, or the Mobi format?
avrignaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #43
akira28
Nameless Being

I am on a Mac and using python 2.61. Using pdurrant's Applescript I am receiving the following error message:

"sh: line 1: python: command not found"

Any ideas how to get through this?

Thanks.

BTW using the command line results in a "Permission denied".

Last edited by akira28; 02-28-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #44
akira28
Nameless Being

Well I finally found the right syntax to get this running via CLI. Applescript still gives errors, though.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #45
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't know anything about apple, but you can run the command prompt in windows as an administrator, and that should get rid of the permission issues. I got similar error messages when I had things on my desktop. I ended up putting python26 file on the root C:\ and putting mobidedrm in My eBooks.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote