Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
omar504
omar504 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Illustrations/Maps/Photos with Kindle Books?

Just wondering whether the kindle books include photos,maps etc that you would find in a physical book..if so what are they like?
omar504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
It varies a lot depending on the book. I read a lot of scifi and fantasy, which often have maps. Sometimes the maps are very readable, sometimes they are useless. It just depends on the time and effort that went into making the ebook version.

Sorry I can't give you a universal answer, but there really isn't one.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The Kindle format certainly supports the inclusion of images and many books include them.

Whether a particular edition of a book includes images, maps, ... found in some other edition is up to the choice of the publisher, whether either or both of the editions compared are ebooks or paper books and, if ebooks, regardless of format.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From two years ago, see A Comparison of format limitations based on The Hobbit. It is still the case that, typically, an ePub will have higher resolution images than MOBI/AZW. However, the Kindle has about the best image handling support of any dedicated reading device.

As whitearrow says, images in ebooks are of highly variable quality. If I think images will be important, I prefer to buy ePub and I would do so even if I was reading on a Kindle. Calibre's format conversion can target an actual device and shrink images if they are bigger than the screen (the Kindle will do this for you, but resizing off-line is more efficient).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote