Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Redfirebird68
Redfirebird68 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
New Pocket Edge user with power questions

Hi everyone,
I just got my wonderful Pocket Edge 2 weeks ago, and I love it. It is replacing my 1st Gen Kindle. These forums have been great and helpful so Thanks to all who contribute.
Now my question.
I bought my Edge used but I have noticed the battery seems to drain quicker than others report on here. In hibernation (with a full charge and wifi off) it will be completely dead within 6 hours. I just looked to see what runs instantly from a fresh boot and here is what starts up, (wifi is on this time) could one of these be the problem:
- AVService
- EsiUpdate2
- ReaderService
- Transceiver Service
- com.android.providers.userdictionary
- Calendar Storage
- Froyo Email
- SyncManager
- Android Keyboard

What can I turn off or uninstall.
This Edge is not rooted and it has Froyo 2.2.1
On a side note I noticed while it is on the charger the adapter gets kinda hot.

and
Redfirebird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfirebird68 View Post
I just looked to see what runs instantly from a fresh boot and here is what starts up, (wifi is on this time) could one of these be the problem:
- Froyo Email
If memory serves, email is allowed access via wi-fi even when in hibernation; therefore shut down the email before hibernating.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Another thing you should check is to see how long the battery stays charged when you power the unit off. If it still drains then you have a possible problem with the battery, if it doesn't then there is some app pulling power - most probably the WiFi via the e-mail app.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Redfirebird68

Thanks

Ok I will try what is suggested.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I have literally left my Pocket Edge in hibernate for days without hardly any battery drain. Like the other members suggested turn e-mail off before hibernating. Double check your W-Fi Sleep Policy: Settings, Network Controls, Wi-Fi Settings, Press the MENU button and select Advanced and then Wi-Fi Sleep Policy. Make sure it is either set for When Screen Turns Off or Never When Plugged In. Also, are you sure the PE is actually hibernating and not just going to sleep? Try long pressing the ROTATE button and put the PE into Hibernate and see what happens. That's how I usually put mine into hibernate. Good luck and hopefully you can solve this because the Edge should use almost no power in hibernate.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Redfirebird68

Figured it out. Thanks!

It wasn't going into hibernation. I was selecting it but it wouldn't go into it.
So now I make sure it is actually going into hibernation.

Thank you to all who answered.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I was getting a little anxious about the battery yesterday when I was playing around with it in 1.6. I even started recording the stats LOL...losing 10% every hour or so. Eek! You could practically see the green draining out of the little battery icon!

So I did the ermine update and charged it back up to 100% -- powered it completely off when I went to bed to see what would happen overnight and it was still fully charged when I turned it on this morning.

Now a few hours later, it's still at 100% with minimal use and hibernation. Whew!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
You might try turning off the phon apps (2 of them). The procedure is covered somewhere in the forum.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote