Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What does that have to do with anything, much less Kindle for Android?
It means the returns for bothering to fix up this plugin have just diminished even more. So the odds of this plugin being fixed by the author are (most likely) not going to happen.

And since user_non posted the following on March 3rd, 2013, asking for this plugin to be fixed is not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I have no plans to update this plugin.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #77
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It means the returns for bothering to fix up this plugin have just diminished even more. So the odds of this plugin being fixed by the author are (most likely) not going to happen.

And since user_non posted the following on March 3rd, 2013, asking for this plugin to be fixed is not going to happen.
The fact that the APNX generation can now be controlled via a custom column has not made it any more (than it already was) fundamentally useful than the plugin. No new functionality was added. Only a new entry point for setting the mode was added.

And none of this has anything to do with Kindle for Android. (still)

I am unsure why you care enough to tell people things they already know, that don't affect you in the slightest, for no net effect other than irritating people with your pedanticism.
Let us be perfectly clear on one thing: you have not told anyone anything new.

It is enough that some people need it for exotic reasons. And they know how strange they are, and that user_none doesn't care about this at all, so you have nothing new to add. Please leave well enough alone unless you have something of intellectual value to say.

Thank you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #78
book_reader
book_reader began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I'm new to the forums and I dont have a good understanding of ebook formats, etc. But from some research online I understand that this plugin can add page numbers to a book if I convert it from epub to mobi.

I'm trying to follow the instructions of the OP (select the book in calibre and click the APNX button) but I dont see the APNX button anywhere. I've confirmed that calibre shows the plugin as installed. Can somebody please send me a screenshot or describe where the button is or how to use the plugin?

Also, I have an Ipad and I'm hoping to use this on the kindle app on the ipad. If I use the latest versino of the plugin, will I still run into the issue of page numbers only working on an actual kindle device but not on the ipad app? Or has the issue been resolved?

Thanks!
book_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #79
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@book_reader - Have a look in Preferences->Toolbars->The main toolbar. Assuming its not in the RH list, find the APNX icon on the LH list and 'move' it to the RH list.

Sorry I can't answer your ipad/kindle questions, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon enough.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #80
book_reader

Nope, doesnt help. Attached screenshots showing that I have the latest plugin version installed, my toolbar doesnt have the button and that its not in the list of available buttons either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1125
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	129561   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	870
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	129562   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	1139
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	129563  
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #81
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by book_reader View Post
Nope, doesnt help. Attached screenshots showing that I have the latest plugin version installed, my toolbar doesnt have the button and that its not in the list of available buttons either.
@book_reader my bad, apparently the plugin has not been updated to make it compatible with calibre 2.x.

There are only a few PI's that haven't been updated to calibre 2.x specs, here's a list of PI's that have and have not been updated ==>> Stats for porting of calibre plugins to Qt 5

You're usage case on IOS would seem to parallel the Android usage case for using this plug-in. Hopefully someone will update it to work with calibre 2.x, so that Android and IOS users can make use of it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #82
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try this build of it (I upped the version #).
Attached Files
File Type: zip APNX Generator.zip (13.8 KB, 865 views)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #83
book_reader

Thanks Peter, yes that worked and I was able to generate the apnx file.

But now my next question is what do I do with the apnx file? Kindle on ipad shows the ebook fine when I just copy the mobi file from itunes. Then I also try copying the apnx file in the same way, but nothing happens. No page numbers, only location numbers in the reader.

In fact, I dont even see the page numbers using kindle previewer. How do I make the previewer look at the apnx file? I just put both the mobi and apnx in the same directory and opened the mobi in the previewer, but that doesnt seem to do anything (meaning just shows me the location numbers).

Thanks for all the help...
Old 10-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #84
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I got no idea at all I never use mobi (or a Kindle of any type).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #85
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Take a look at the first page, first question asked by a user, and particularly post #13...

tl;dr
This is expected. The plugin is designed for use with E-ink Kindles.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #86
book_reader

Ok, thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #87
darksky84
darksky84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire HD 7
page numbers

Will this show actual page numbers on the Kindle instead of location numbers for each e-book
darksky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky84 View Post
Will this show actual page numbers on the Kindle instead of location numbers for each e-book
This plugin is not needed. Calibre can generate an APNX file on sending KF8 eBooks to a Kindle. You'll have to have a look around to find out how to configure this.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #89
freewheeling
Nameless Being

What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This plugin is not needed. Calibre can generate an APNX file on sending KF8 eBooks to a Kindle. You'll have to have a look around to find out how to configure this.
I see that I have the APNX Plugin installed, but I don't see any buttons on how to use it. Could you explain what you mean by the statement above? I gather KF8 is a Kindle format? What does "look around" mean? On the MobileRead forum? Are there instructions somewhere? The version of the APNX Generator plugin I have is 1.1.0. I don't see an APNX "button" anywhere, though.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I am saying is that APNX generation is a feature of Calibre. You can create a column to put in a number you want to use for the final page number.

1. Create a custom numeric column
2 Preferences > Plugin
3. Search for Kindle and select Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite /Voyage Device Interface (1.0.0)
4. Click Customize plugin
5. Check "Send page number information when sending books"
6. Under that select accurate
7. Under "Custom column name to retrieve page counts from" put in the name of the column you created
8. Check "Overwrite existing apnx on device"
9. Click OK
10. Click Apply
11. Click Close

Now, if you do not put in a page number in the custom column, Calibre will still create a page number file for your eBook.

P.S. KF8 is the proper name for AZW3.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-30-2020 at 07:38 AM.