Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #286
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
PM sent.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #287
dragulagu
dragulagu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thank you kindly
dragulagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #288
dragulagu

Well, got the kobo completely fixed thanks to the image (thank you again davidfor.)

In return I wan't to make a short summary on the reparation proces, as this could help other users as well, i could imagine who encountered issues (as i did encounter a lot of issues):

- When the aura hd is not responsive, eg. locking up on loading/factory reset load even when plugged into an external power source, a possible issue is a lack in battery power or a broken battery output. It seems that when the available battery power is under a certain threshold, the device just locks up. In my case it was a dead battery overall, which would lock up the device all the time (in different sequences).

- Another case where the aura hd might lock up is due to faulty software (eg. bricked updates, ...). The first step to fix this is to try a factory reset, by either holding the light + power button for 10 seconds or pressing the reset button while holding the light button (when the kobo is on). The white led on top will flash for a short time and you'll see a factory reset sequence.

DISSASEMBLY/REASSEMBLY

- When opening the aura hd bezel, use a (iphone) prier tool to get in between the bezel and the back of the aura hd. Do it carefully so you wont break any hinges.

- The disassembly is pretty straight forward after removing the bezel, the circuit board is screwed down to the back and is screwed into the screen as well. Remove all screws and you'll see both the circuit+screen assembly is easily removed from the back panel and the circuit board is easily removed as well from the screen (be aware, the display and circuit board are connected by wires/ribbons).

- CAUTION, there are 3 wires connecting the circuit board to the display panel, the battery wiring which must be pulled WITH CAUTION upwards to remove it. And 2 display ribbons connecting the lcd to the circuit board. Both are locked by brackets, open these first before pulling the ribbons! When all the wires are disconnected, you can remove the display from the circuit board.

- The battery is glued to the display, if you want to replace it, use a large flat screwdriver, gently push it below the battery and slowly push the battery upward from each side. This will eventually loosen the glue and will eventually remove the battery from the display. Do this with patience.

- When disassembled your touch will not be registered by the display, this is normal. The touch display works with IR light detection and needs to have a full enclosure to work properly (it wont detect your touch otherwise). Reassemble your kobo completely (with case/bezel) to make it work again.

- When you want to replace/fix the SD card, perform the steps described in the first and second posts from this thread, they explain it well: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209122

example dissassembly pictures: https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...has-an-sd-card

Last edited by dragulagu; 08-29-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #289
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragulagu View Post
In return I wan't to make a short summary on the reparation proces, as this could help other users as well, i could imagine who encountered issues (as i did encounter a lot of issues):

- When the aura hd is not responsive, eg. locking up on loading/factory reset load the primary issue is a lack in battery power. It seems that when the available power is under a certain threshold, the device just locks up. In my case it was a dead battery overall, which would lock up the device all the time (in different sequences).
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Of course the device "locks up" if there is no battery power. What else can it do? If there is no power coming to your house, do you expect the lights to turn on? If there is no power available in the battery, the device isn't going to turn on. If you are referring to the fact the screen shows something other than the powered off image, then that is expected. E-ink need no power to maintain the image last drawn on them. If the device runs out of battery before it can shutdown, then the last screen display stays there.

And there is a minimum power level for certain things. Though the only one I can think of is that it won't update the firmware with less than 30% battery (I think that's the level). It also won't turn on if there isn't enough power to do the startup. But, I think that's at the 1% level or so. It's a bit hard to tell that because you need to plug the device in to start it and that of course charges the battery. And you don't see the charge level until it has already gone up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #290
dragulagu

You are correct, there does seem to be a certain battery level threshold for critical processes to run properly. My device was plugged into a power source during boot/factory reset and even then, due to a faulty battery, the kobo system shut off / locked up (the screen was still getting a feed). This problem got resolved when I switched the broken battery with a working one.

I'll correct my post.

Last edited by dragulagu; 08-29-2017 at 08:30 PM.