Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
wttwoa
wttwoa began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle fire finally quit, looking for replacement

my kindle fire gave out and im looking for a replacement, it wont charge anymore and its not under warranty. im looking for something around $150 and im thinking of going with the nook hd, and with how closed the os is i dont want another kindle. the only thing im looking for is a tablet that can play movies through netflix or hulu, has a decent web browser, can read epubs seeing as all of my books are epub, preferably works well with calibre, and im also thinking of reading comics so it would be nice if it has a comic reader.

Edit: also about the nook hd, ive looked up on sideloading books using calibre and a few people were having problems with it such as not finding books or books not showing covers. have they fixed it or is it still a problem?

Last edited by wttwoa; 11-16-2013 at 02:34 AM.
wttwoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the fact that you say you don't want a "closed os", surely you'd be better off looking at an "open" Android tablet, such as the Nexus, rather than yet another proprietary one like the nook, wouldn't you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
wttwoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the fact that you say you don't want a "closed os", surely you'd be better off looking at an "open" Android tablet, such as the Nexus, rather than yet another proprietary one like the nook, wouldn't you?
sorry i guess i worded it bad, but what i meant was that i hated how the kindle fire had almost no apps and i didnt have any other android device so i couldnt get apks from google play, and if im not mistaken doesnt the nook hd come with google play? and the nexus 7 is a fair bit out of what i want to spend

Last edited by wttwoa; 11-16-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Hi,
Yes, the hd comes with google play. I have the hd+ and it does all that you want. The price is great. I use Mantano Reader app but you could use it as is. It will actually read all formats because you can install Amazon, Kobo, Google Books apps as well.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How "tied" to B&N is the nook's user interface? ie, is it a standard Android UI, or a B&N customised one? That would be my main concern.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I have an HD+ and love mine. At $149, it meets your price point and I prefer the larger screen but the 7" is even less expensive.

It works perfectly with calibre and with the Kindle for Android app, if you have Kindle books you want to read on it. Since it has access to Google Play, the closed OS isn't much of an issue, but you can also buy an inexpensive dual-boot SD card which allows you to run stock Android Jelly Bean without rooting or altering the stock OS in any way. This is the one I use and it works perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/AndroidForNook...afn+nook+hd%2B
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
wttwoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
I have an HD+ and love mine. At $149, it meets your price point and I prefer the larger screen but the 7" is even less expensive.

It works perfectly with calibre and with the Kindle for Android app, if you have Kindle books you want to read on it. Since it has access to Google Play, the closed OS isn't much of an issue, but you can also buy an inexpensive dual-boot SD card which allows you to run stock Android Jelly Bean without rooting or altering the stock OS in any way. This is the one I use and it works perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/AndroidForNook...afn+nook+hd%2B
thanks, i was thinking of going with the 7" hd, the screen size was perfect for me on the kindle fire and i liked how it would just fit in my pocket if i needed it to.