Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Gerlyn
Enthusiast
Gerlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Text with Fixed Layout

I am using Sigil to create a fixed layout photo book with text absolutly positioned. I have the photos on the pages and it looks good. As soon as I place any text on the page, the photo moves down. I have attached a shorted version of my epub. One thing I also have noticed is where I place the text to look correct in Sigil is not correct on the iPad.

If anyone could offer some assistance I would be greatful.
Attached Files
File Type: epub ABOutdoorLivingshort.epub (6.53 MB, 283 views)
Gerlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Before others point it out, please clarify what reading application you mean on the iPad...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I doubt whether this can be done with Sigil. You definetly would need to adjust later outside Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

As an update to this I found the answer. All I had to do was put
margin: 0; padding: 0; in all the text css classes (h1, h2, p, etc) and it fixed the problem.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is not fixed layout. The text will still wrap and if you resize the font, the book will look differently. Fixed layout is something different.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

This is a fixed layout, if you open the file in the iBooks, you are not given the option to change the text size only to lighten or darken the screen.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlyn View Post
This is a fixed layout, if you open the file in the iBooks, you are not given the option to change the text size only to lighten or darken the screen.
Sorry to burst Apples bubble ,
But they don't get to re-define a EPUB term for the rest of the world.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlyn View Post
That is not the definition of fixed layout. That is just making use of potential bugs in iBooks. Please read up on the fixed layout format. As a tip, look on the site of Liz Castro: Pigs, Gourds and Wikis.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

I used Liz Castro's information from her books and all her blog information on the subject of fixed layouts to create this book. Which is why I referenced it as fixed layout. It is the only information out there that was helpful.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

If you look at her blog more closely, you can see that you need to do more for fixed-layout. For example, you would need <meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta> and other metadata.
If it works for you, fine. But it is not fixed-layout, it is crippled layout if you only did what you said earlier.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the note. I have put in the above mentioned other code, but now have another question on that. Adding the new TOC file, landmarks, does Sigil not allow these code changes? When I put them in I get an error saying it is not well formed and I could lose data. Castro's blog made it seem so easy. Is there another software that she uses?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

You cannot create ePUB3 with Sigil. You have to do it by hand I am afraid. Perhaps iAuthor (or something like that) can do it.