Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Google Docs

I was wondering, what apps people were using to access Google Docs. I tried DocstoGo and OfficeHD but they don't really cut it since they lack a lot of the features that Google Docs has. They seem more like notepads than word processors, I'd like to be able to use tables and other formatting.

I figured people might be using some iPhone apps or something like that which may allow for better options in word processing than the current array of iPad apps out there. Or if there are any besides the big three: DocstoGo, OfficeHD and Quickoffice.

Thanks
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i don't understand what you're looking for.. a word processor for the ipad? or something that will let you view google docs?

as far as word processing goes. you've mentioned the "big 3".. plus pages (which has no on-line access and likely never will).

if you want access to google docs. well those are the big 3rd party apps. or you can go right to the site yourself with safari/atomic/icab/whatever. if you just want access to documents you can try something like goodreader, or one of the filing apps out there that can pull a file down, then you can use the "open with.." feature to open it in something else (like pages).
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Yea I was hoping for a word processor that had better access to google docs than the other 3 did, they just don't really cut it for word processing. Pages works nicely but its totally cut off from online usage unless you're emailing the doc back and forth. I've been trying to move to the cloud more now that I've got the iPad but good word processing seems to be one thing that hasn't quite gotten there yet. I hope at some point Google just fixes the web version to work on mobile devices.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I find office HD pretty good and it just got a big update today. It can do lots of things including tables and images. You know that ribbon bar moves horizontally to see more formatting?

I use it with Google docs. I'm do anything super fancy but I haven't found anything it can't do that i need.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I use office HD for my writing, but vie never used it with google docs for a cloud storage idea. How do you do this as I'm interested.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
I use office HD for my writing, but vie never used it with google docs for a cloud storage idea. How do you do this as I'm interested.
Off the main screen click the back button to get your file locations and choose edit. Then add your service. It supports, lots like dropbox, mobileme, etc and google docs. Googledocs is tied to your gmail account so just enter your info and it will link up your files.

GoogleDocs by itself within Safari works ok as well.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote