Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
ConanTLibrarian
ConanTLibrarian began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook?
Question 602 or 701...?

Well, I had my mind set on a Pocketbook for a while, and after waiting for the 602s and 603 to arrive, I then saw... the IQ 701.

For a moment, that one seemed the right choice instead - the color screen, the processor, the attractive price...

(By the way, *does* it have a backlight or not? In the pre-specifications I saw it did, but now I'm not sure. That feature would actually be something I certainly wouldn't mind.)

But then I started reading about it being essentially a Pandigital Novel, and I saw the opinions on that tool:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/20/p...-novel-review/

Bad screen, sluggish speed? :/ Certainly not what I want. Has anyone had a hands-on experience with the 701 vs the 602? Which one is better? As a reader, that is - I just care about the supported formats, a crisp screen that can be read without stressing the eyes the way LCD screens will, and relatively fast page turning. I couldn't really care less about games and so on.

Is the kind of screen that the IQ lists (TFT) worse than 602's e-paper? According to what I'm reading, it would seem to be... but is that the case?

In short, which one to go for?
ConanTLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ConanTLibrarian

I'm sure you are about to get many opinions soon....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
The IQ (701) hasn't shipped yet, so I don't think there are any hands on review yet.
The LCD would be "backlit."

For what it's worth, it is supposed to have a better processor than the PDN. 800 vs 533.

I've read plenty of pretty good reviews of the PDN. The key is knowing what you're getting. It won't be a mini iPad. But it has the potential to be a very cool reader with some other uses.

Shortly after they ship, we'll definitely see reviews and know if that potential was realized.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Do you have any experience with PDAs? PocketPCs in particular?
That would give you an idea of what to expect as to responsiveness of the touchscreen, the quality of the LCD screen, and battery life.

Exactly what to expect in terms of software performance is something we'll know shortly (once the IQ ships) but there is some reason to be hopeful: the Pocketbook core reader software is known to run *very* well on 400 MHz ARM CPUs so the extra boost to 533 MHz can't hurt.
A further clue is that Android as an environment has been described as Java on Linux but the Pocketbook Apps on the eink readers run on the core Linux OS; if the same is true of the IQ the native Pocketbook apps should run just fine.
The Android apps, being compiled Java...
Well, Java is known for code portability, not extreme performance, and the Android devices that shine by their performance tend to run on the newest 1GHz CPUs, so...
(shrug)

It's up to you to weigh the virtues of the eInk platform (paperlike display, extreme battery life, low weight) vs the virtues of LCD (backlighting, color, video capability) and their corresponding weaknesses.

In many ways, the two are going to be complementary.
(Which is where my interest comes in.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote