Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
lucloup001
lucloup001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo not recognized by computer

When I plug my Kobo Aura H2O on my computer, absolutely nothing happens, no message either on my computer or the Kobo. I tried changing the cable, changing the usb port, I talked with a Windows person, a Kobo person, nobody seems able to help me. Is there a Genius reading this message who can help me? SOS.

Luc
lucloup001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Has the hookup ever worked with this computer and Kobo combination? Only times I have had this problem it turned out to be a cable problem. Does the cable work with other devices? Some USB cables are power only and cannot be used for data transfer. Do the ports work with USB memory drives?

Try on another computer too and if the reader fails on both with a known good cable then the reader usb has failed.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As well as what Richwood said, does the charging indicator show? If not, with everything else, it is probably a hardware fault on the device. But, you need to also test another PC to be sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Browning7
Browning7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Classic, Viewsonic
I have the exact same problem as does my husband with his Kobo on his computer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I have tried different ports and different USB cables. It seems to be an intermittent problem. We are both running the Kobo Aura 2nd edition. I just tried the original Kobo, and a Kobo Glo, both running older versions of the operating system, and these seem to run just fine. I contacted Kobo about this and they could not offer a solution to the problem. Another problem I have encountered is that chapter endings are sometime dropped. They are there in the file as when I read the book on Calibre the chapter endings are there. Again, Rakutenkobo staff were mystified by this.
I also noted that both earlier version of the Kobo are recognized in Calibre while the Aura 2nd Edition never is. I have to use the "connect/share" function...which only works when Windows 10 decides to recognize it as a drive.
Browning7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucloup001 View Post
When I plug my Kobo Aura H2O on my computer, absolutely nothing happens, no message either on my computer or the Kobo. I tried changing the cable, changing the usb port, I talked with a Windows person, a Kobo person, nobody seems able to help me.
Probably a long shot, but have you tried plugging your Kobo into one of the back USB ports? Sometimes there is a voltage difference between USB ports that come directly off of the motherboard and ones that are on the front of the computer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Also just on principle do a full reboot of both device and computer.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Browning7
Browning7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Classic, Viewsonic
Further to the suggestions above, I have tried everything including a factory reset on the Kobo, using various cables, using various ports as well as rebooting the computer. The problems remains as an intermittent problem. As my spouse has the same problems on his computer intermittently as well using another Kobo Aura 2nd Edition, I suspect the problem is a Kobo problem. (The Kobo recognizes the computer, but Windows does not recognize the Kobo.)
Browning7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning7 View Post
Further to the suggestions above, I have tried everything including a factory reset on the Kobo, using various cables, using various ports as well as rebooting the computer. The problems remains as an intermittent problem. As my spouse has the same problems on his computer intermittently as well using another Kobo Aura 2nd Edition, I suspect the problem is a Kobo problem. (The Kobo recognizes the computer, but Windows does not recognize the Kobo.)
I would be curious to see if a live (bootable) version of Linux would connect the Kobo consistently to the same hardware. I wondering if this isn't a Windows issue of some kind.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if t might be USB driver related as in what version and supplier is in use on the PC?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Make sure the wireless connection is disabled on the kobo, it this is enabled the device will not connect to the computer. At least that is what I have found.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
Make sure the wireless connection is disabled on the kobo, it this is enabled the device will not connect to the computer. At least that is what I have found.
I don't know if that is the case for the WiFi, but it is not needed for any of the newer Kobo devices. I never turn the WiFi off for any of my devices and have no problems connecting to the PC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
My wireless is always turned off, but it makes no difference. The devices that have a problem connecting (original Aura One and H20 2nd edition) still have a problem connecting. My Aura One Limited Edition, on the other hand, never has a problem connecting, and I love love love it.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Oolong
Enthusiast
Oolong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Probably a long shot, but have you tried plugging your Kobo into one of the back USB ports? Sometimes there is a voltage difference between USB ports that come directly off of the motherboard and ones that are on the front of the computer.
I just wanted to say thanks, this worked! Bizarre that this would make a difference - not sure I'd ever have tried if I hadn't found this while searching for solutions to this same problem. Cheers!
Oolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:59 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolong View Post
I just wanted to say thanks, this worked! Bizarre that this would make a difference - not sure I'd ever have tried if I hadn't found this while searching for solutions to this same problem. Cheers!
Glad to hear it. I think a few years back I had a USB hard drive (or some USB device) that wouldn't work on the front USB ports but worked fine on the back ones. I guess a little extra voltage can make a lot of difference.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #15
BuggleBeans
BuggleBeans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I solved it for my case!

Hello everyone, I know it has been a long time since anyone posted to this thread but I suffered from the same problem and tried everything in this thread without result (probably because I use a laptop).

until!,. I plugged in an USB expansion hub, Suddenly my kobo does recognize my computer and I can transfer files without any problems.

The particular USB expansion thingie that I used was a laptop holder from Sweex DS201 notebook station but I am pretty certain that it will work with other USB hubs as well.

I read that in some cases it is indeed the difference between voltages of the USB ports but if you have a laptop the voltages are almost always the same on all ports which is why it makes sense that only an external USB hub would work.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you too!
BuggleBeans is offline   Reply With Quote