Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2023, 01:56 PM   #1846
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthyoda6 View Post
Unfortunately Amazon's update system only works on books you've "purchased", and only if they've never been read through KU at anytime. Any book I read on KU, whether I purchased it later or just re-read on KU, doesn't get the updated versions, and I still have to contact Amazon support to force the updated version to come through. It 99% of the time doesn't show an update link on the manage your content page, even though you you there's an update.
As I said, I find it surprising they ever offer it at all.

eta: unless it is to fix something crucial

Last edited by lkmiller; 03-13-2023 at 01:59 PM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #1847
CloudReader
CloudReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is a fixed layout children's book. Another format that is not supported on e-ink Kindle devices.

It's odd that the product page for that book has no list of supported devices.

I was looking in the wrong place. It definitely does not work on Kindle devices.
Well, Thank You for clearing up that part of the problem

I've had trouble with many other picture books from Amazon not displaying correctly in Calibre - It is my hope to one day delve into perhaps deconstructing them into their base parts and then reconstructing them into (probably) ePubs.

'course this one wouldn't be included, because of the DRM...
CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2023, 03:24 PM   #1848
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I miss the days when one could criticize some (thing|one) without feeling the need to make up silly, derogatory variations on the names of entities/people.
Not to mention, it isn't really applicable since they are completely up front about how you can use what you are "buying."
Old 03-13-2023, 03:26 PM   #1849
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Five character minimum.
I followed the "source" link to go look at the hover text.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:33 PM   #1850
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
It should be possible. However the result will be in Amazon’s variant of fixed-layout which is not supported by calibre and many non-Kindle readers.
Yeah, I was thinking it might not be worth the trouble depending on the purpose for the drm-free file or if you're going to be unlocking more books that way.
Advert
Old 03-13-2023, 03:43 PM   #1851
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Well, Thank You for clearing up that part of the problem

I've had trouble with many other picture books from Amazon not displaying correctly in Calibre - It is my hope to one day delve into perhaps deconstructing them into their base parts and then reconstructing them into (probably) ePubs.

'course this one wouldn't be included, because of the DRM...
If you could figure that out, then it might be worth setting up the older Kindle for Android method to remove the drm.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:39 PM   #1852
italybubbles
italybubbles began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite gen 7
Hi,

I have purchased a new book from kindle and it is downloading in a different format than awz3.

The older version of windows kindle is not allowing to download the new book that I paid for.

Also, I don't see any option for transfer and download for this particular book that I purchased.

Older books have the option.

The book was published in 2021 and ASIN is B093FYDR8D.

I need to get older file so I can convert it via calibre.
Can anyone help on how to do that after latest changes by amazon
italybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #1853
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is likely KFX-only; I'm not sure how to check but others can tell you for certain.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:56 PM   #1854
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
On E-readers, this title is available on select devices, and latest software update is required.
On Android and Fire tablets, the latest version of the Kindle app is required.
This title is not available on Kindle Cloud Reader.
So some sort of idiotic format by a clueless publisher as it's not a textbbook
Quote:
In Sach Kahun Toh, actor Neena Gupta chronicles her extraordinary personal and professional journey-from her childhood days in Delhi's Karol Bagh, through her time at the National School of Drama, to moving to Bombay in the 1980s and dealing with the struggles to find work. It details the big milestones in her life, her unconventional pregnancy and single parenthood, and a successful second innings in Bollywood. A candid, self-deprecating portrait of the person behind the persona, it talks about her life's many choices, battling stereotypes, then and now, and how she may not be as unconventional as people think her to be.
Maybe fixed layout with a load of photos as it's about x4 larger than many ebooks:
File size ‏ : ‎ 8826 KB
Print length ‏ : ‎ 364 pages

Buy the hardback.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-15-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #1855
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by italybubbles View Post
The book was published in 2021 and ASIN is B093FYDR8D.
English language books published in India are often only available in KFX format with unbroken DRM. I suspect that either that market is seen as particularly subject to ebook piracy or perhaps it is the trial market for a larger KFX only rollout.

Update:

The product page for the book shows "Sold by: Random House India".

I obtained the free sample from the product page. I was unable to download it using an old version of the Kindle for Android app verifying that it is KFX-only. I was able to download and read the sample using the latest version of Kindle for PC and was able to tell from the KFX voucher that it uses an even stronger encryption algorithm (V9708) than is used for regular KFX books (V11).

Last edited by jhowell; 03-15-2023 at 04:55 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:00 AM   #1856
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And it's pointless as commercial pirate can scan the hardback and ocr or grab all the pages from app and OCR.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:16 AM   #1857
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And it's pointless as commercial pirate can scan the hardback and ocr or grab all the pages from app and OCR.
Not sure anyone uses that method these days. 10 years ago, perhaps. Now a pirate would just buy the book in epub with Adobe DRM and remove the DRM. Much simpler and easier.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:08 AM   #1858
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not sure anyone uses that method these days. 10 years ago, perhaps. Now a pirate would just buy the book in epub with Adobe DRM and remove the DRM. Much simpler and easier.
This book may not be available in ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:18 AM   #1859
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This book may not be available in ePub.
That might be the case. I did a quick search and was not able to find it as an e-book other than on Kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:25 AM   #1860
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That might be the case. I did a quick search and was not able to find it as an e-book other than on Kindle.
I went to the publisher website and the only store shown to buy an eBook was Amazon.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote