Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-28-2022, 03:03 AM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Advertising

Why is there so much advertising for commercial products, completely unrelated to ebooks, on this forum?

I don't see it on my desktop, probably because of the adblockers I have installed, but on my ipad and iphone, it is pretty much more advertising than posts.

What makes it worse is that the advertisements are in the posts, breaking up paragraphs.

How is the revenue used?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I run Adblocker Ultimate and Ghostry with Firefox. I've not seen an advert on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
If you are signed in, you shouldn’t see any ads.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you are signed in, you shouldn’t see any ads.
That's been my experience. I don't run an ad-blocker and I see no ads when I'm signed in to Mobileread.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've never seen an ad here on Mobileread. Using an iPad most of the time.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heres a couple of examples of what I see when on my iphone (usually when I am sitting on the train, bored)

I am not logged in on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	198642   Click image for larger version

Name:	forum2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	198643  
Old 12-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
What happens if you log in? I never read here without being logged in, so I did log out using Safari on my iPhone. The ads show up then.

Logging in will take care of it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
What happens if you log in?
Great. Logging in has removed the advertisements so I don't have to hunt around for ad-blockers for my iphone.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #9
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
It's pretty much the same for me when I'm browsing on my phone – ads everywhere! It's especially annoying when they break up the text, and you lose your spot.

I guess the reason for all these ads is pretty straightforward – forums need to make money somehow. Hosting a website isn't free, and ads are one of the easiest ways for them to generate revenue. It's a bit of a necessary evil, I suppose.

On a side note, I've been exploring digital marketing a bit and came across AdSpy software. It's fascinating to see how ads are targeted and the strategies behind them. It's a useful tool if you're curious about the behind-the-scenes of online advertising or if you're in the marketing field.

Last edited by estral; 12-02-2023 at 11:11 AM.
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:49 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
It's pretty much the same for me when I'm browsing on my phone – ads everywhere... It's especially annoying when they break up the text, and you lose your spot.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote