Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I second Mary Stewart's Nine Coaches Waiting. I had been thinking of nominating Airs Above the Ground or The Ivy Tree, but instead of another Stewart novel, I'll nominate Victoria Holt's Mistress of Mellyn.
I was torn between nominating Nine Coaches Waiting or The Ivy Tree. And I’ll second Mistress of Mellyn, one of my favorite Holts.

Quote:
And because I can't possibly leave out the third of the big three, I also nominate Lost Island by Phyllis A. Whitney.
She was definitely the third among equals, for me. But especially since I haven’t read it (that I can remember), I’ll second Lost Island.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate Love Story by Erich Segal.

From Amazon:

Quote:
The iconic tale of love and loss that has touched the hearts of millions, Love Story has become one of the most adored novels of our time. It has sold more than twenty-one million copies worldwide and became a blockbuster film starring Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw. It is the story that told the world, "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll nominate Love Story by Erich Segal.
This violates the HEA/HFN requirement.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This violates the HEA/HFN requirement.
HEA/HFN?
Old 11-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
HEA/HFN?
Read the OP.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Read the OP.
You are correct. I'll withdraw the nomination.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:49 AM   #22
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I second The Duke and I (not sure I'll end up voting for it, but I want it on the list of books to vote for)
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:02 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was struck by this since my favorite period for romance novels is the turn of the last century, when standout authors included Anthony Hope, George Barr McCutcheon and Stanley Weyman. So with that in mind, I’ll nominate:

The Red Cockade by Stanley Weyman. A romance set during the French Revolution, it was published in 1895. Obviously free to download.

And among the books I loved when I was a young adolescent were the gothic novels of Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt. I haven’t read any of them since and I wonder what I’d think now. So I’ll nominate one of my favorites:

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart. It’s set among crumbling French aristocrats and the heroine is an English governess.

These do sound interesting, but I was hoping to be able to get the winner from the library.

Especially Nine Coaches Waiting. With a title on Amazon of "Nine Coaches Waiting: The twisty, unputdownable romantic suspense classic" how can it not be good.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I didn't realize that The Red Cockade was public domain.

So I will second The Red Cockade.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #25
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's so much great romance published these days, in a lot of different genres, so I'm a bit disappointed that only one of the books up for vote was published less than twenty years ago

Oh well, there's a lot of good old romance as well. I'll start the vote sometime tomorrow, so there's still time to get in more nominations
Old 11-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #26
hildea
Wizard

After a brief struggle with my conscience I've decided to add one of my nominations to the poll, even though none of them were seconded, as a privilege of being the one to organize this thing.

I promise not to mess with the voting
Old 11-22-2021, 04:46 AM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The voting poll can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343170
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote