Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
cryptocoryne
cryptocoryne began at the beginning.

Device: DXG (B009), K4 (9023), PW1 (B024), KT2 (90C6)
dictionary access impossible? on non-touch Kindle 4

Is there any way to select a word in koreader to look it up in a dictionary?

I have the current stable release of koreader working on my jailbroken 4.1.3 Kindle 4.

This Kindle has no keyboard and no touchscreen.
cryptocoryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The dictionary window itself has some keyboard support but I don't know about accessing it.

If the top menu is usable then it would work to do search (magnifying glass) → dictionary lookup.

If not… I don't think there's a way.

Anyway, there's some more about it here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/1623
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
cryptocoryne

Alas, I found the dictionary in the menu, but selecting it does nothing.

For my old K4, I think doukan is the better option. Seems a little more responsive and a lot of stardict dictionaries are usable but not pretty due to HTML horkage.

Koreader (on Kindle 5+) doesn't do the best job of rendering HTML-heavy stardicts. But it looks like duokan doesn't even try: it's all <i><b><blockquote>blah,blah,blah.

Hmmm. Can I remove the HTML tags from the .dict file and then rebuild the IDX file with some stardict editing tool? I tried running one dict through sed
Code:
sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' test.dict
, but then test.dict is no longer in sync with its test.idx file so looking up "aardvark" gives you the definition for "because." The word and definition are clearly legible and the dict is much smaller without all the HTML crap. If only I could rebuild the IDX.....

I'm using Arch Linux and I don't see any stardict editor in the pacman repos. yaourt has some "stardict-tools" but it is gonna take all year to compile its now-ancient dependencies. Is there a windows binary stardict editor?

Last edited by cryptocoryne; 12-25-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Try Liberator. It's a fork of koreader for non-touch Kindle.
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
cryptocoryne

Quote:
Try Liberator. It's a fork of koreader for non-touch Kindle.
Liberator has no dictionary support. Or else it is very well hidden.
Advert
Old 01-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I don't really know about editors but KOReader currently strips out HTML tags before display.

Rendering of HTML in dictionaries will likely be finished soon, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/1776
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
cryptocoryne

SOLVED:
I got the stardict-tools (GUI and command line tools) from Arch user repos.

To remove HTML and make a nice looking, Duokan-compatible dictionary:
  • Install stardict-tools-git from AUR.
  • "Decompile" your trio of stardict files (whatever.dict, whatever.idx, whatever.ifo) to a "tabfile" using stardict-editor GUI. (Select the .ifo file.) This will give you a text file whatever.tab
  • Use sed, python, whatever script to remove HTML crap from this file. Search around for a regex to strip HTML tags if you don't want to think about it. For example:
    Code:
    sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' whatever.tab
    Afterward, you might want to search and remove/replace in a text editor nonstandard(?) stuff like &apos; and &quot;
  • Run
    Code:
    stardict-tabfile whatever.tab
    to generate the new dict, idx, ifo files. You can open the ifo file in a text editor to customize the dictionary name. Leave the other lines alone.

Last edited by cryptocoryne; 01-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.