Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the attached screen is normal?
Yes, this is no big deal. Mine is so, too. 0 0%
No, my screen is uneven, but this is worse. 1 100.00%
No, I would return the unit if I got this one. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
RP1 - is this wavy screen faulty or the norm?

Hi people, I had a little difference of opinions with a seller concerning the status of screen of my newly acquired RP1 (hacked JP version) . As neither of us can persuade the other, I had no choice but to turn to our wise forum members for your thoughts. Any input will be much appreciated.

What happened:

1. I had a US-version RP1 for a while, but parted with it. I ordered a hacked Japanese RP1 online and was appalled to find the surface of screen was clearly uneven both to the eye and to the touch. Much worse than the US-version which I owned and used daily for over a month. I believe the device is faulty, and asked the seller for a return or exchange.

2. The seller said this is usual with flexible screens. This happens to a lot of other RP1s. There is nothing wrong with the unit.

3. I know flexible screens may be uneven. My previous device is so. But I don't think a screen this wavy can be counted as normal.

4. I need to find what is the norm.

Please if you own an RP1 could you share if your screen is as wavy or better? I attach a pic of mine for your verdict
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2017-08-17_17-11-24.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	158522  
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
ic10503
ic10503 began at the beginning.

Device: sony dpt-rp1
I don't think mine looks like that. On a side note, is it in english and where did you buy it from?
ic10503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
sartrism
sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boyue T62+, Sony DPT-RP1
At first, I thought it is definitely not normal. But I tried the same angle of view with totally black screen as you did, and then mine looks similar to you. Only after realized that it is not flat, I could feel some wavy spots with hands. I didn't recognize my screen is indeed so wavy (except the edge - which I already recognized easily with eyes.)

So, I think it is acceptable if it does not bother you with shadow while reading.

P.S. I was so shocked from the fact screens might be uneven that I thought mine is similar to you, but now yours looks much worse than me. I cannot easily judge it from the picture you took.

Last edited by sartrism; 08-17-2017 at 05:49 PM.
sartrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Thanks for the response. I got that from Taobao, with a hacked system that runs some Android apps (not all). The system is fine (despite the exorbitant price). So far it runs Kindle, Moonreader, and es file explorer (which links to a number of cloud storage. I tried Baidu Pan and it works). But the screen is a real shock...

Seller said it wouldn't have looked so bad if I hadn't taken my picture from the angle. I said I wouldn't have thought about taking a picture if the screen hadn't felt so wrong
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
antistar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic10503 View Post
I don't think mine looks like that. On a side note, is it in english and where did you buy it from?
The Japanese machine comes with EN. Mine is a jailbreak version and runs Android (to a degree) too.
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
ic10503

Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
Thanks for the response. I got that from Taobao, with a hacked system that runs some Android apps (not all). The system is fine (despite the exorbitant price). So far it runs Kindle, Moonreader, and es file explorer (which links to a number of cloud storage. I tried Baidu Pan and it works). But the screen is a real shock...

Seller said it wouldn't have looked so bad if I hadn't taken my picture from the angle. I said I wouldn't have thought about taking a picture if the screen hadn't felt so wrong
Cool, thanks. Does browser(say Chrome) work as well(if you got one installed)?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
sartrism
sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boyue T62+, Sony DPT-RP1
@ic10503 Think this is the same one discussed here, including video clips: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288754

@antistar Could you check the message for a personal question?
sartrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
antistar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic10503 View Post
Cool, thanks. Does browser(say Chrome) work as well(if you got one installed)?
Seller pre-installed chrome but that seemed to have been modified. I can't change search engine to google (now it is searching in Baidu). Downloading from this forum is ok but failed in the mobile version gmail, not sure what happened. Browsing text is ok, though I would prefer a bolder font. Though it's probably already my best experience on ereaders so far, navigating through sites with loads of gif/picture is still a pain, especially if you need to zoom in/out or move page left or right. Guess this is the usual on ereaders
Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
ic10503

Quote:
Seller pre-installed chrome but that seemed to have been modified. I can't change search engine to google (now it is searching in Baidu). Downloading from this forum is ok but failed in the mobile version gmail, not sure what happened. Browsing text is ok, though I would prefer a bolder font. Though it's probably already my best experience on ereaders so far, navigating through sites with loads of gif/picture is still a pain, especially if you need to zoom in/out or move page left or right. Guess this is the usual on ereaders
Thanks. Is there a way to mount an sd card or get more storage internally or externally?
Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #10
tomat
tomat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I ordered a hacked Japanese RP1 online and was appalled to find the surface of screen was clearly uneven both to the eye and to the touch.
Dear antistar.

My DPT-RP1 shows a similar problem. How did your device turn out in the long term? Is your screen still usable or did it loose it's functionality?

Thank you very much!
tomat is offline   Reply With Quote