Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I loved it and have read it many times. The first book is less fantasy and epic then book 2 and 3. Book 4 and 5 are good but told from the POV of another character. Anyway, each to their own, but I think book 1-3 are little-known classics.
I think you are right. The Sunset Warrior books do seem to be cult classics. I would read them again. I didn't mean to ruin your recommendation.

Quote:
Maybe my tastes are in a minority. I'd be curious to know what your views of it are if you try it again.
If you're interested, here's the review I wrote for Sunset Warrior back when I read it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:31 AM   #17
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Lois McMaster Bujold: "Curse of Chalion" and "Paladin of Souls". (There are more books in the same universe, but those two are a duology, and are the best, in my opinion.)

It starts with the protagonist stumbling home as a broken ex-prisoner of war, and goes on to deal with epic stuff like the fate of kingdoms and more.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll jump in here with the Discworld series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Have you tried "The Legend of Drizzt" series? It is up to 31 books now. I enjoyed the first six, which comprise two complete trilogies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These are all some of my favorites. If you are interested in Drizzt you may also enjoy the Cleric Quintet. They all belong to the Forgotten Realms universe and they intersect at a certain point. For some epic fantasy I recommend Terry Brooks, who wrote the recommended Magic Kingdom series. He is a master of epic fantasy and I think he is most famous for his Shannara books. His website says there are more than 30 books that are connected, written from 1977 until the present day.

MTV is trying to use his material to recreate the success of Game of Thrones in a TV series called the Shannara Chronicles. It is based on "The Elfstones of Shannara" which is a book in the original trilogy. I watch it with my wife but it isn't something I recommend. Just read the books. If you enjoy epic fantasy you won't regret it.

http://terrybrooks.net/books/reading-orders/

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 12-06-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is Discworld full of action though? (I've not read any of the books, so I genuinely don't know. I always thought they were humorous adventures along the lines of Another Fine Myth or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
If you haven't read the original Conan, it is amazing. Start with The Tower of the Elephant and Rogues in the House. Amazing stuff that defined the genre.
I want to second the Conan recommendation. Tower of the Elephant would be a great starting point, but any of the stories written by Robert E. Howard will be a treat. And very different from the typical Tolkien fantasy.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
I think you are right. The Sunset Warrior books do seem to be cult classics. I would read them again. I didn't mean to ruin your recommendation.

If you're interested, here's the review I wrote for Sunset Warrior back when I read it.
Interesting. Thanks. Different folks, different strokes, I guess. If you haven't tried them, book 2 and 3 are very different from book 1. The character leaves the Freehold and travels through a distinctly oriental world which I think is beautifully evoked. I agree the books have their flaws, but I loved it all. Each to their own. Personally I find the criticisms that the prose is murky or whatever very odd (edit: I think I understand the criticism now. See below.). I think the author writes brilliant prose at times.

Here's the start from book 4:

Quote:
THE Scarred Man enters Sha’angh’sei at sunset. He pauses before the towering cinnabar escarpment of the western gate and turns in his dusty saddle. Above him, a pair of ebon carrion birds spread their grotesquely long wings, hovering, startlingly set off by the flare of the sky. Piled clouds riding like chariots of crimson fire obscure for long moments the bloated ablate of the sun as it sinks slothfully toward the heights of the city already lost within the thickening haze. It is a unique mark of the sunsets in Sha’angh’sei that the city itself and the land all around it is first engulfed by the purest crimson, sliding, as the sun disappears behind the man-made facade into the amethyst and violet which heralds the night.
I remember now that he writes very dense, heavy, wordy almost purple prose. Normally I don't like that style, but with these books, the author pulls it off, IMO. He uses tons of adverbs and adjectives, and yet they ALL add to the text somehow, I find. It's lush, exotic.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is Discworld full of action though? (I've not read any of the books, so I genuinely don't know. I always thought they were humorous adventures along the lines of Another Fine Myth or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
Some Discworld books have more action than others. But yes, there is action.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I remember now that he writes very dense, heavy, wordy almost purple prose. Normally I don't like that style, but with these books, the author pulls it off, IMO. He uses tons of adverbs and adjectives, and yet they ALL add to the text somehow, I find. It's lush, exotic.
My criticism was for instance, the city I mentioned in my review. They are in an underground shelter. Where was the city in relation to it? Was it also underground? If so, what illumination would there be from above? And Ronin, what did he do for a living in Freehold? He didn't serve a Shogun. How did he earn his keep? From memory, the book was very vague on details like this.

I don't mind dense, wordy prose. I like it especially when it comes to description. I liked the section you posted. That sounded like something I would enjoy.

I'll try them again. I remember the covers from my Ballantine trilogy were beautiful.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #25
Snarl
Snarl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Love the Conan Books, also Elric of Melnibone, John Carter of Mars and the Drittz Books. All are great quick reads

Cheers; Snarl

Another Guy From Canada

Last edited by Snarl; 12-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Hey! Wait a minute! Isn't that the series that has no defining beginning and an arguable order?!?!???!!!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #27
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hey! Wait a minute! Isn't that the series that has no defining beginning and an arguable order?!?!???!!!

Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Discworld books are written to be read in published order which is also timeline order. There's a definite beginning and a definite order. So nope, it isn't that series.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #29
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
My criticism was for instance, the city I mentioned in my review. They are in an underground shelter. Where was the city in relation to it? Was it also underground? If so, what illumination would there be from above? And Ronin, what did he do for a living in Freehold? He didn't serve a Shogun. How did he earn his keep? From memory, the book was very vague on details like this.

I don't mind dense, wordy prose. I like it especially when it comes to description. I liked the section you posted. That sounded like something I would enjoy.

I'll try them again. I remember the covers from my Ballantine trilogy were beautiful.
I think you might prefer book 2. The points you raised about book 1 were for me answered adequately, and/or I didn't care.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
You know, I wish the OP would have responded with the names of some books that he likes, other than naming the old faithfuls as books NOT to name...

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote