Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Very Old eReader still working?

It is a curiosity, of course my KPW3 bought in 2017 is still young compared with some devices that someone in this forum belong.

So tell us what are Your very old eReader, also with images if You want, that still works.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have multiple Kindle 2 and Kindle DX readers that still hold a charge and work fine. In fact I also have working Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT and Kindle Touch units too. Even have a Kindle 1 that worked last time I charged it up. Only generation I am missing is the original Kindle PW1 and first generation Kindle Basic. No Oasis G8 either.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've powered up my orignal Kobo and it's successor Kobo Wifi in the last few months. Sadly, I don't have a Blackberry to see if the original Kobo is still able to connect to it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My very first ereaders, the basic Kindles from 2011 and 2012 still work perfectly, but I haven't used them for reading since 2016. I still charge them regularly, though. I won't sell them for sentimental reasons, plus they're really too old to be worth much.

My Voyage is from 2016 and probably doesn't qualify as very old. I still read on it sometimes. But my daily readers are my two Kindle Oases (from 2017 and 2019) and the Kobo Libra (2019). My Nook (2019) gets used occasionally as well.

I sold my basic Kindle from 2014 and the Oasis 1 from 2016 last summer. Both were working perfectly. I just no longer used them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle2011.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	656.4 KB
ID:	178526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle2012.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	178527  
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
K2US. 3G and Whispersync still working as of two days ago.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kindle 4 NT, recently put in a new battery. The Page Turn buttons show wear, but still work fine
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The first Kindle Touch. Several times I've let the battery run down and left it uncharged for many months but it still holds a charge. After leaving it uncharged for a long time it does take a while for it to wake up (after plugging in the cable) and start charging.

It's useful as a reminder of how the crude Kindle UI has barely changed after all these years.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I put a new battery into my PRS-505 a few months ago and it works like new again. Mine will be twelve years old in a few months.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #9
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
While cleaning the basement, I found a box of old electronics. Inside I found my Sony PRS600, and my iriver Story HD. Both have charged and powered on. The Sony is from 2009, the iriver is from 2011. I'll post pics later.

I also found my Zune from 2006. Works perfectly!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My first Kindle was the Kindle 3, aka the Kindle Keyboard. I gave it to a friend of my sister some years ago and she's still using it. It works just fine.

I have 3 of the original Kobo Aura's. All work pretty well. The power switch sticks a bit but it's a minor problem and as long as I use a cover it's no problem at all.

I still have the Nook Glowlight Plus, which is a few years old now. I bought it when it first became available. It's pretty much like a new device. I also have the Glowlight 3, the 6" one, which is also like new.

All of these have good battery life.

The only ereaders I've had problems with are my Voyage, whose battery got pretty weak and a Paperwhite 2 which also had a weak battery.

I suspect I've bought 25 or 30 Kindles as well as a number of Kobos and Nooks for various neighbors in my retirement home. I'm the one they come to with problems so I see them all from time to time and all still work very well.

I think all of these three brands, Kindle, Kobo and Nook have been built very well.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:11 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My Nook ST with Glowlight still works.

I was given an old Sony 505, but it won't hold a charge.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was given an old Sony 505, but it won't hold a charge.
Did it get factory update for epubs or does it only do Sony format? I nearly bought one of these new, but couldn't afford it. May have been first eink sold in Ireland.

Got new: Kindle DXG, I patched fonts and sleep-screen, but put original fonts back as I use it to test ebooks. Uses old part of Calibre Dual Mobi.
Also a Kindle PW2 given now to grandchild.

Got Second Hand or given to me:
Palm Z22, the 160 x 160 pixel screen makes reading a challenge. Two ebook formats. I can't imagine why Adobe produced a PDF reader for it.
Sony PRS350, lovely ereader and better SW than the T1 I had for a while.
A Kindle graphite Keyboard model. Can display either old part or KF8 part of a Dual Mobi and azw files, though B008 model and the DXG is newer B009. Replaced battery last week.
A Nook Simple Touch.

A Kobo N905C Touch I bought cheap died, screen failure, though no obvious damage. Also an iRiver Story Cover edition died, faulty screen from when I got it, though it worked for a while.

I have tested three flavours of Binatone readme, all LCD, obtained very cheap. One was a keyboard no-touch Android keyboard 6" tablet. Old Android app downloaded and installed via USB work. Has dead links to WH Smith for books and a Binatone app store. I've still one left to give to a grandchild.

Newer ones I've bought:
Kobo H2O Original. Still OK, but bottom flap can fall off.
PW3 just after PW4 came out because I didn't like what I read about PW4. My son bought one and it's poorer contrast than PW3.
Kobo Libra. It was about €40 less (inc tax) than the H2O original and €100 less than the Forma in Argos, so not long after I bought a 10" Lenovo for €119 inc tax for PDFs. That's what the DXG was bought for (and PW I had passed on), but the DXG is too heavy to read on for hours and too poor resolution and not quite large enough for almost all my PDFs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #13
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
My Kobo Touch and Nook SimpleTouch both work fine. I think the batteries might have lost a bit, but they're good enough for the occasional use I put them to. I did end up dropping my old kindle keyboard though even though I still kind of prefer it to its paperwhite replacement. The battery just wasn't lasting, and it didn't seem very economical or easy to replace. I do the vast bulk of my reading on the kindle, and only use the nook and kobo on the rare occasion I want to read an ePub.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:49 AM   #14
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
My first eReader was the Kobo Touch 2.0. Idk why, maybe I didn't take good care of it by not putting it in a case, but after 5 years the screen is so faded I can barely read on it, and there are some huge black marks on it. Anyway it wasn't that good an ereader in its era, so I don't complain.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:23 AM   #15
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My keyboard Kindle is about ten years old, still going great guns. I also have a much newer paperwhite, but I keep both in action (different contents).
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote