Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
powerball
powerball began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Angry Jutoh spacing

Hi All

I am new here and did not know where to post this. Please, can anyone help?

I have just used Jutoh for an ebook. I cleaned up the WORD doc using a free HTML clean site. I left only heading 1 as shown on Youtube vids.

I then uploaded to Jutoh. All went ok except after validating is came back with space problems after headings and paragraphs. I tried to debug hitting DEBUG and followed their advice in clean-up book.

It then removed all spaces yet looked fine in the launch to a viewer and uploaded OK to Amazon!

How to hell do you allow spaces after heading 1 and after each paragraph to be technically friendly with Jutoh and Amazon?

Thanks for any feedback I AM not a techy:-(
powerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You may wish to contact the publisher for detailed information on your problem.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^^+1 if you want to learn what Jutoh is doing.

I also HIGHLY recommend taking an hour or two to learn the basics of html and CSS. There is a good tutorial at W3Schools, and there are a few guides on MR's Wiki.

It is really not that complicated and what you need for making a basic ebook is pretty...well...basic. I also recommend using an ebook editor that allows you to see the html code as well as what the result looks like side-by-side. I like Sigil, and Calibre Editor is good too. Good news is they are free! Those automated sites/programs can only do so much...and honestly, it makes me cringe when I see the junk they usually put out!

If you decide that your book is "not basic" then you should get a professional ebook maker. They will save you no end of hassles trying to get your book just right for all the different types of platforms out there.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Using Jutoh, just edit the paragraph styles to give the spacing you want around headers and between paragraphs. Just right-click in a paragraph of the style you want to edit and chose "edit styles" - it will give you editing screens for that style. On the "indents and spacing" tab, there are places to put in spacing before and after paragraphs.

What you are doing is editing the CSS in a most non-technical way!

Been doing this for several years with no problems...
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
IMHO it's much easier to use CSS! Here's my H2 paragraph style, which serves the same function as your H1:

h2 {
margin-top:1em;
font-size: 150%;
text-indent: 0em;
font-style: italic;
text-align:center;
}

You could put a margin-bottom:1em instruction in there as well, or you could do as I do and have a p class="first" style that provides the bit of space:

p.first {
margin-top:0.5em;
margin-bottom: 0.0em;
text-indent:0.0em;
text-align:justify;
}

My style is on my blog to borrow or adapt.

I don't think there should be an extra space between paragraphs in an e-book. Kindle at least provides a very generous 1.2 line spacing. (I do add 20 percent in the print edition.)

Too many self-publishers go from writing term papers to publishing books without taking time to notice that books aren't double-spaced or presented in block paragraphs.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
jutoh