Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: "Next," "Previous" Triangles In Margins:
Those triangles are mostly distractions and should be discarded. Best to keep the reader as clean as possible. 7 28.00%
Those triangles are useful reminding me to click in margins. Otherwise who would think to click in margins? 18 72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #46
nkormanik
Connoisseur
nkormanik began at the beginning.

Device: DavidAcisAAJ
Even with those darn triangles, I haven't found a better e-reader for Windows than Calibre's.

If I were to actually request any enhancements, I'd ask for auto-page turn, user's choice as to time, in seconds.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:31 AM   #47
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
one sure way to get your feature request more attention is to implement it yourself and attach the patch implementing it to the bug report."
A sensible suggestion the OP has already ignored on the several occasions it's been made previously. If anyone's suffering from an overweening ego in this bizarre quixotic rant, it ain't Mr Goyal, that's for sure.
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkormanik View Post
Even with those darn triangles, I haven't found a better e-reader for Windows than Calibre's.

If I were to actually request any enhancements, I'd ask for auto-page turn, user's choice as to time, in seconds.

I think your triangles need to be bigger.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I still can't find these mysterious triangles. Linux Mint 18.3 with Mate Desktop and up to date Calibre.

Autopage turn is a ghastly thing, Autocues can use autoscroll but never page turn. However as long as it's disabled by default I don't mind. It's possible to implement with the chip out of a USB keyboard, a bilateral switch (or maybe FET) and a 555 timer. Just trace the membrane / printed traces of the suitable keys before disconnecting the small PCB.
I wired the strings and frets of a guitar once to a keyboard PCB after removing metal bit at the bottom and replacing it with plastic. Fun, but not very useful.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #50
nkormanik
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Autopage turn is a ghastly thing, Autocues can use autoscroll but never page turn. However as long as it's disabled by default I don't mind. It's possible to implement with the chip out of a USB keyboard, a bilateral switch (or maybe FET) and a 555 timer. Just trace the membrane / printed traces of the suitable keys before disconnecting the small PCB.
I wired the strings and frets of a guitar once to a keyboard PCB after removing metal bit at the bottom and replacing it with plastic. Fun, but not very useful.
In other words, don't hold my breath on this prospect either....

I could use a third-party macro program. But it's lots easier just having the "auto page turn" control build into the e-reader program, and be able to easily increase or decrease the page-turning time. Say, five seconds per page... maybe too fast... six, seven, etc., seconds per page. Whatever.

Android has some such e-reading programs. Moon+ is quite good.

But Windows, sticking so far with Calibre.

Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #51
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I still can't find these mysterious triangles. Linux Mint 18.3 with Mate Desktop and up to date Calibre.
The triangles only show when you hover the mouse in the left or right margins. If the mouse isn't in the margins the triangles don't show. I use the scroll wheel on the mouse or the space bar to turn pages so I never see these triangles. See the attached image to understand how horrible the triangles are for me on my Windows 10 machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triangle example.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	175561  
Old 12-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
See the attached image to understand how horrible the triangles are for me on my Windows 10 machine.
AAARGH! My eyes! How can can you post such horrifically traumatic images without a trigger warning?!
Old 12-13-2019, 03:11 AM   #53
nkormanik
Connoisseur

Point is, those silly triangles are just not needed, at least there should be the option to hide them.

I find them distracting. As they are always popping up, I find myself fuming at the developer. As opposed to thinking about what I'm reading.

Seems super basic. Allow option to hide 'em.

And here we are now, version 4.6.

Come on, Kovid.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triangles.png
Views:	217
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	175565  
Old 12-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The triangles only show when you hover the mouse in the left or right margins. If the mouse isn't in the margins the triangles don't show. [snip]
Thanks.
I really have to struggle to get a triangle, and of course you can only see one at a time.
These are not an issue as never having the mouse in the margin means they never appear. That's why I've never seen them.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #55
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I find them distracting. As they are always popping up, I find myself fuming at the developer.
And yet you still haven't taken the time to officially ask the developer for the triangles to be made an option.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #56
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Interesting text chosen for the picture in the OP's last post. SMH. I may just be tired from marathon cookie making sessions, but it came off as a dig. Tell me I'm wrong.

I'm baffled why those tiny triangles cause such angst, and such long winded fussing.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #57
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Interesting text chosen for the picture in the OP's last post. SMH. I may just be tired from marathon cookie making sessions, but it came off as a dig. Tell me I'm wrong.
I couldn't see what the point of the quote was.
Quote:

I'm baffled why those tiny triangles cause such angst, and such long winded fussing.
At this point, I suspect he is just playing games.

But, there are much more important questions: What type of cookies? And are you sharing?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #58
nkormanik
Connoisseur

How is it a game?

What, maybe swatting at those silly constantly popping up triangular flies at the margins?

May be a game to you, and you voted thusly.

To me concentrated reading is serious business.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #59
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
How is it a game?
He may think it looks like a game because you refuse to actually request the change via the system Kovid has in place for requesting such things.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:20 PM   #60
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I couldn't see what the point of the quote was.
It reads racist to me, if you Google his name, he actually admits to being racist on another site.
Closed Thread