Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
My notebook just died :(

My Lenovo notebook, by beloved companion through life, just died. I still cannot believe it. No warning signs - suddenly I just couldn't resume from standby. A reboot (pressing the on/off switch for a few seconds) didn't work. Took out the battery, the RAM even, but to no avail - the notebook is dead. One long beep, two short beeps. No picture.

According to this thread it's either the system board or the GPU (one of those NVIDIA admitted to be defective, no less).

The good news is my notebook is still very much within its 3-years warranty period. The bad news is, I won't be as mobile until they send it back to me with a replaced system board.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
My Lenovo notebook, by beloved companion through life, just died. I still cannot believe it. No warning signs - suddenly I just couldn't resume from standby. A reboot (pressing the on/off switch for a few seconds) didn't work. Took out the battery, the RAM even, but to no avail - the notebook is dead. One long beep, two short beeps. No picture.

According to this thread it's either the system board or the GPU (one of those NVIDIA admitted to be defective, no less).

The good news is my notebook is still very much within its 3-years warranty period. The bad news is, I won't be as mobile until they send it back to me with a replaced system board.
All my sympathy... several days w/o a laptop sounds
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ouch, that has to sting. Deepest sympathies
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ooh, i'm so sorry alex ! that must be so frustrating. i hope that the replacement arrives as quickly as possible. did you / will you manage to save all your data ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No data got lost (as far as I can tell). I also kept the hard disk before sending off the broken unit.
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I hope you've ensured you have a current back-up of the hard disk, or have removed it before returning the rest of the machine for repair.

Repair services never guarantee that they'll retain data, even if the hard drive isn't the problem.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
My Lenovo notebook, by beloved companion through life, just died.
[..]
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully you will get it back very soon.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks guys. Yeah, I removed the hard disk before sending it in. Not only would I fear repair services of accidentally deleting my data, but I wouldn't want them to browse through my holiday photos.

I am glad this notebook is still under warranty. My previous notebook, also a Lenovo Thinkpad, died of a similar symptom (the GPU failed due to a crack in the solder joint, a common problem with notebooks I heard). Last time it was beyond warranty, and a system board replacement would have cost more than the used notebook was worth.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
I'm so sorry! At least no data was lost!
I hope the new one comes soon.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Aw bummer!

My laptop fell off a table about a year and a half ago. We had it on life support for a while but eventually it went off to PC Heaven. Fortunately I didn't lose any data either.

Good luck
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
My "manufacturer's warranty" states that that the unit must be returned "intact".

Is withholding your hard drive common practice for saving your data and do you get no hassle for repairs?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow, so sorry to hear this. It's like loosing an arm for a week! As others have said... at least the data is still there.

I'm interested to hear if they complain that you didn't include the hard drive with the return. My ThinkPad is likely to go back for warranty service in the next year because of a problem with the sd card reader. (It damages cards when they are inserted.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
So sorry.. I just lost my beloved little laptop 6 months ago. No way to repair (well, there was, but I could buy the better, faster, more junk new one for less than it would have cost for the repair).

I still miss it. I hope you get yours back soon. It's like losing a body part to be without the laptop.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
I once sent a notebook back and replaced the harddisk with an old broken one. When I got it back only the harddisk was fixed
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I'm interested to hear if they complain that you didn't include the hard drive with the return.
I just got back from the phone with the Lenovo Repair Center. They *specifically* asked me to remove the hard disk along with the battery and all other 3rd party modules (like extra ram) before mailing in the unit.

They also asked me to include the BIOS password otherwise it will delay the progress.

I did some more research on the symptoms and I am 99% confident that it's related to the faulty Nvidia chips: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...ting,5815.html