Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #61
eldavo
eldavo began at the beginning.

Device: pw3 G090G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Serial
Thank you for the answer niluje, however I'm not going to risk breaking my kindle by dismounting it.
Will a "soft jailbreak" be available in 1/2/3 years or will the serial way be the only way forever?
eldavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Your guess is a good as mine on that front .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2018, 03:20 AM   #63
eldavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Your guess is a good as mine on that front .
It's the game of patience then. Thank you
Old 06-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #64
eldavo

This reminds me of the PS3 firmware version 3.56 which blocked installation of custom firmware. for years, people with 3.55 or more haven't been able to soft-jailbreak, only now they can thanks to webkit exploits.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavo View Post
Thank you for the answer niluje, however I'm not going to risk breaking my kindle by dismounting it.
Will a "soft jailbreak" be available in 1/2/3 years or will the serial way be the only way forever?
It just depends on how fast you work and how lucky you are to find it and publish it here.

There is no "staff" here which works on such things, they are all just the efforts of the individual members (or some combination there of).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #66
euri10
euri10 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
success here too

Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? Yes S/N: G090 G105 7
Is it a "refurbished" device? No
Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? 5.8.11 (3243010037)
Is it registered? No
Does it have ads (Special Offers)? no idea what you mean
Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled? No
What country was it sold in? FR
What country was it delivered to? FR
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar). Amazon (FR)

done the downgrade and upgrade to latest firmware 5.9.6.1, everything is ok but one thing : it's stuck in Airplane mode, and I can't unstuck it, therefore I can't register it or connect to the wifi, which may or may not suck, to be honest so far I don't care.
euri10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #67
telmak
telmak began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Success as well

Hello,

I have a PW3 running on 5.8.11 as well (bought in France too).
I took the risk as well and I can report the downgrade was successful too just like euri10 - the kindle is now running 5.7.4, no bricking.

I followed the instructions scrupulously (including registering the kindle to amazon beforehand - I did block OTA updates before doing that though).

Also, I'm not stuck on airplane mode (despite enabling it before the downgrade).
telmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #68
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
You should now update to the user fw 5.8.11 (sideload it from Amazon's servers) - using the factory test fw after jailbreaking isn't a good idea...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #69
telmak
telmak began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Kindle
I have already done so ;-) as well as installing the awesome koreader.

Thanks !
telmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #70
jmandawg
jmandawg began at the beginning.

Device: PW 3
Thanks everyone, got a PW3 from the best buy sale over the weekend. Came with 5.8.11 and was able to downgrade and then jailbreak.

After the downgrade when it was booting up, It seemed like it was hanging on the "Tree" splash screen. I plugged it into the usb wall outlet and eventually it loaded (these things are slow)
jmandawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 AM   #71
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

This had nothing to do with your action of connecting the power supply. The first boot of the downgraded system really may take a loooooooooong time (up to 30 minutes!). You mustn't panic - just wait... Only if there's no action after a whole hour or so, it's a good idea to try a hard reset.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:19 AM   #72
Antinoos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by telmak View Post
I have already done so ;-) as well as installing the awesome koreader.

Thanks !
KOReader is a fine piece of software, indeed. But I prefer Vlasovsoft's CoolReader port: http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/
Dont get confused about the name "chess" in it, especially if you're not a chess addict - the more interesting parts of the whole Vlasovsoft toolbox are their Kindle-specific freeware components: Not only a very good CoolReader port (highly configurable: more than even KOReader!), but also a tiny file manager, a text editor and calculator ... all bundled with its own launcher app, that can be launched via KUAL and even standalone Kindlet (azw2 file in documents), provided that the Kindle fw version is not higher than 5.8.11. I'm using these tools nearly all the time I'm spending with my Kindle.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #73
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
KOReader is a fine piece of software, indeed. But I prefer Vlasovsoft's CoolReader port: http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/
Dont get confused about the name "chess" in it, especially if you're not a chess addict - the more interesting parts of the whole Vlasovsoft toolbox are their Kindle-specific freeware components: Not only a very good CoolReader port (highly configurable: more than even KOReader!), but also a tiny file manager, a text editor and calculator ... all bundled with its own launcher app, that can be launched via KUAL and even standalone Kindlet (azw2 file in documents), provided that the Kindle fw version is not higher than 5.8.11. I'm using these tools nearly all the time I'm spending with my Kindle.
Can the file manager and/or launcher app be used to open books with the kindle's built in book reader? That seems like a way to get support for organizing azw* books in directories on kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #74
Antinoos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Can the file manager and/or launcher app be used to open books with the kindle's built in book reader? That seems like a way to get support for organizing azw* books in directories on kindles.
... unfortunately not. It's just a very simple file manager. It allows to look locally into ANY partition and directory, and move, copy or delete files without the need of USB networking.

This way I've made e.g. a local backup of the collections database. And this was already very helpful when I had to restore it after a crash. Could do this with nothing else than the Kindle itself handy. :-)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:25 AM   #75
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Staying on 5.8.11 is now not needed, KUAL works on later versions too through another method.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote