Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Interactive Fiction with Gargoyle for the Iliad

I have gargoyle compiled and working on the iLiad. This looks and works pretty well.

Quote:
Gargoyle is an IF player that supports all the major interactive fiction formats.

Most interactive fiction is distributed as portable game files. These portable game files come in many formats. In the past, you used to have to download a separate player (interpreter) for each format of IF you wanted to play.
Right now, you will need to edit run.sh in order for it to open a different book. I've included the original Zork game as a sample.

I'll admit, I've never gotten into interactive fiction before. I played Zork a little bit when I was a kid, but that's because it was included in a larger game pack I had bought. I also read those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books when I was really young. I'm not sure if that's the same thing though. Maybe someone who knows more about gargoyle and interactive fiction can help out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gargoyle3.png
Views:	1859
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	3782  
Attached Files
File Type: zip gargoyle.zip (6.01 MB, 1266 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, now I'm officially jealous.

Seriously, though: well done (but I really am jealous).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Do you read interactive fiction? Where do you get it from? Is it like a book, or a game? Any examples?

I'm still trying to figure out the window thing...It looks like gargoyle is a bunch of programs running from a single launcher. I'm not sure if I'll have to modify each and every one, or if there's a single window manager.

Another problem is launching a book. Without modifying contentlister, a book needs to be launched from a command or shell script. This isn't easy for the average person.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Interactive fiction is a game style from (waaaaay back) in the 1980s -- before graphics were much to sneeze at. I haven't really played it much in years (I actually have a Palm app that runs them).

There are a number of web-sites that have IF, including a few that let you play it online, without downloading anything, which is pretty ironic considering its origins.

Wikipedia (unsurprisingly) has a good write-up of it, including a modest collection of links to sites, if you want more detail.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Tools for creating as well as an archive of public domain IF's can be found here.

http://www.ifarchive.org/
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Never heard of Interactive fiction before, but from what i read on Wikipedia it sounds a bit like text-based strategy game(of sorts). Interesting nontheless!

Last edited by vranghel; 06-01-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yay!

Now we just need the HWR in an input line at the bottom.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Yay!

Now we just need the HWR in an input line at the bottom.
Already Done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gargoyle2.png
Views:	1469
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	3781  
Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Well, It's almost a user-ready release. Right now, when the program launches, the window is still hidden a bit by the keyboard. You will have to drag it to the top a little in order to see your input.

If this is a non-issue, or if someone has a quick gtk solution, let me know and I'll fix and post.

Edit: As a short term solution, I just made the window a bit smaller, so it would still fit everything in while being centered. This isn't ideal, but it works. First post updated with program.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
thanks you are my hero for today,... now for the rest of the weekend i will try this, thanks
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Adam, Zork is copyrighted by Activision. The Hugo Zork you've included in your zip file even admits it is used without permission:

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/...o/hugozork.hug

I'm planning on including the Colossal Cave (Advent.z5) with my Java IF Viewer, it appears to be freely available:

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-...mesXzcode.html
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, the term "interactive fiction" is all wrong. Back when Colossal Cave and Zork and others were written then correct term used was Adventure These are adventure games, not interactive fiction. Please use the correct labeling of these games.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Interactive Fiction" is the term that's been the standard one for the last 20 years or so, Jon. It's gone way beyond the original adventure games; take a look at the IF archive site - many of the modern "games" are more like novels. There are active Usenet newsgroups "rec.games.int-fiction" and "rec.arts.int-fiction", reflecting the original "game" and the "literary" types of IF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Hmm I have known the type as text adventures.
But nicely done Adam B. ! Umm are you trying to kill our last drops of free time with such ports? :-)
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #15
Sunn Sunn
Sunn Sunn began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
How do I get started using this program and other programs?

I've only had my iLiad for a couple of days and I don't really know what "unbricking" and so on means. I'm a programmer, I'm familiar with Unix and GNU/Linux and I've used Gargoyle a lot on my main Debian machine, but my iLiad is still set to the factory defaults; I haven't got any apps installed.

I have a lot of IF I want to read, starting with Spider and Web which is in z-machine format.

http://www.eblong.com/zarf/if.html

I'm thankful for any advice and pointers!
Sunn Sunn is offline   Reply With Quote