Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #46
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
One think I've noticed is that the buttons are a little loud.
Did you find the big round buttons on the bottom to click also? I found the opposite - I don't get much of a click from the round buttons. The side page turns had a "good" and satisfying click.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #47
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
The big round bottom left button is better on the 500, I like the click which is missing from the 505, too mushy.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #48
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm referring to the screen fade in direct hot sunlight.
Yeah, I noticed this on the beach in Jamaica... it started with little spots that would make some words partially disappear, then got worse and covered most of the screen. Seems to have had no long-term effects. Ghosting has gotten worse over time, I've noticed, wonder if that vacation had something to do with it...
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlik View Post
Yeah, I noticed this on the beach in Jamaica... it started with little spots that would make some words partially disappear, then got worse and covered most of the screen. Seems to have had no long-term effects. Ghosting has gotten worse over time, I've noticed, wonder if that vacation had something to do with it...
My 500 has not gotten any worse as far as ghosting goes. And it was never that bad in the sun. Just some fading but still readable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #50
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could always wear a watch.
I could always read a paper book too but that's not the point! The reader is better and more convienent. Why would I not want a feature that it can very easily provide. It is nice to glance down when reading to see how much past bed time a good book has caused me to stay up. The problem is that the time is only correct as of the last page refresh. Seems like a reasonable limitation to me but I'm guessing that Sony is afraid of support calls from people who can't understand why the time is wrong when they turn on their reader. I think it should be an option (even if it is a hidden one).

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #51
Greymage
Greymage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wireless Reading Device
I think the worst thing about the 505 is they left out the A/C adapter. When I hook it into the USB it knows it and then rescans its cards or something when you disconnect. I haven't timed it but I think it takes about 20 minutes now from the time I insert the SD card (or pull the reader off the USB after loading a book onto it via connect) to the time I get a menu, and I only have 1600 books on the card so far. With the A/C adapter it just charges, it doesn't reset itself.

The second worst thing is the slow battery drain even when it's off. It needs a quick hibernate mode, not just the current apparent standby mode.
Greymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #52
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymage View Post
I think the worst thing about the 505 is they left out the A/C adapter. When I hook it into the USB it knows it and then rescans its cards or something when you disconnect. I haven't timed it but I think it takes about 20 minutes now from the time I insert the SD card (or pull the reader off the USB after loading a book onto it via connect) to the time I get a menu, and I only have 1600 books on the card so far. With the A/C adapter it just charges, it doesn't reset itself.
You may want to buy a PSP USB charging cable so that you can plug in the round charging port instead of the mini-USB port.
This one is less than 5 bucks including free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4383
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #53
Greymage
Greymage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wireless Reading Device
where were you when I needed you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
You may want to buy a PSP USB charging cable so that you can plug in the round charging port instead of the mini-USB port.
This one is less than 5 bucks including free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4383
Thanks! Hope I can still cancel my amazon order for a regular PSP charger...
Greymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #54
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not the hinge that's the problem, it's that since Sony moved the left side page turn buttons to the right, it becomes awkward as the cover (when folded back) sticks out to the right where the page turn buttons have been moved to.
I had the same reaction with the original cover. I bought the leather cover and I don't notice it sticking out as much. I'm not sure if it's actually smaller or if the softer material just feels better. I'll compare their dimensions side by side when I get home.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:50 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the new cover design eliminate the misalignment issue which plagued the leather covers for the 500?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #56
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Same dimensions on the leather cover. Just seems to "give" more I guess.

No misalignment issue on mine. Inspector #119 should be proud.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wonder if perhaps that was one of the motives for the new cover design on the 505?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #58
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
From the ... timbre of the comments on it during the conference call, I suspect that Sony was ... less than thrilled with the way the old connector worked out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote