Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post

How the heck do I do this? Is there a tutorial for not-so-tech-smart people?
Everyone has something they're REALLY good at, being not-so-smart is mine, so here goes (if you use Windows):

Open the files that have .yaml after their name - double clicking them might ask what yu want to open them with, Notepad is fine.

Scroll through the list of available patches for the ones you want to enable and change "Enabled no" to Enabled Yes"

As an example, in the file called nickel.yaml, there is this patch:

Reduce top/bottom page spacer:
- Enabled: no

just change no to yes and it's done. Once you've enabled all the patches you want to have working, click "File>Save" When you've done that for all the patches in the various .yaml files, you are ready to follow the patching instructions above.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:47 AM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a question about this patch:
Quote:

FeatureSettings - BookSpecificStats:
- Enabled: yes
- Description: Adds an option to view stats for a specific book to the book menu.
As shown, it is enabled, but I'm not clear what difference it has made. I assumed that "the book menu" referred to the little menu at the top right of the screen that offers the following:

Write a review
View Details
Dictionary
Reading Progress

Those four options were available before patching, and remain the only ones available after patching. I take it this means that "book menu"does not mean what I think it means ?

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 09-22-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 03:48 AM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you very much! I know that it's a lot of effort,and I thank all of you for this! With this work, you make my Kobo much more friendly for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:48 AM   #19
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Everyone has something they're REALLY good at, being not-so-smart is mine, so here goes (if you use Windows):

Open the files that have .yaml after their name - double clicking them might ask what yu want to open them with, Notepad is fine.

Scroll through the list of available patches for the ones you want to enable and change "Enabled no" to Enabled Yes"

As an example, in the file called nickel.yaml, there is this patch:

Reduce top/bottom page spacer:
- Enabled: no

just change no to yes and it's done. Once you've enabled all the patches you want to have working, click "File>Save" When you've done that for all the patches in the various .yaml files, you are ready to follow the patching instructions above.
Thank youuuuuu, Robin!
It all works wonderfully. I'm a happy camper.

And a HUGE thanks for everyone who put in all the work for these patches!

Last edited by SusanReads; 09-22-2019 at 03:51 AM.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 AM   #20
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question help

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Download and unzip kobopatch_4.17.13694.zip from here.
I feel stupid: I can't download the patch from that page: which button ? When I click on V52 or "latest release", nothing happens. When I right-click to save under, I get an .html file.
What do I do?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 03:58 AM   #21
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I feel stupid: I can't download the patch from that page: which button ? When I click on V52 or "latest release", nothing happens. When I right-click to save under, I get an .html file.
What do I do?
Go to https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatc...leases/tag/v52 . Press control-End to get to the bottom of the page. You'll see "Assets" section. Choose the firmware that matches your Kobo firmware. For me, I downloaded "kobopatch_4.17.13694.zip", whose link is https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatc...4.17.13694.zip
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:59 AM   #22
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What do I do?
It's waaaaay at the bottom of the page. You will see a bunch of files and you need the 5th one from the bottom.

Last edited by SusanReads; 09-22-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:00 AM   #23
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's waaaaay at the bottom of the page. You will see a bunch of files and you need the 3rd one from the bottom.
I beat you by a minute!
*whispering* Psst, I think you meant 5th.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 AM   #24
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I beat you by a minute!
*whispering* Psst, I think you meant 5th.
Eeuuuuhh, 5th, yes that's what I said!
Old 09-22-2019, 04:08 AM   #25
droopy
Guru

Quote:
I feel stupid
So did I. I asked many questions. I think the instructions could be made simpler, more newbie-friendly.

For instance, maybe it would be easier to follow a youtube video showing a user going through the steps.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:09 AM   #26
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Thank you all. I was stupid! Possibly because just woke up.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:09 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I have a question about this patch:

As shown, it is enabled, but I'm not clear what difference it has made. I assumed that "the book menu" referred to the little menu at the top right of the screen that offers the following:

Write a review
View Details
Dictionary
Reading Progress

Those four options were available before patching, and remain the only ones available after patching. I take it this means that "book menu"does not mean what I think it means ?
It is on the menu for the book in the lists or the home page. It takes you to the "Activity" page with stats for the selected book.

Also, this doesn't need a patch. It can be enabled by adding a line to the config file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:13 AM   #28
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It is on the menu for the book in the lists or the home page. It takes you to the "Activity" page with stats for the selected book.

Also, this doesn't need a patch. It can be enabled by adding a line to the config file.
Thanks David. I figured it must have been something like that. It was the use of the phrase "book menu" that had me a bit confused, as I've seen that phrase used in other threads to refer to the in-book menu. I appreciate the clarification.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:14 AM   #29
SusanReads
Addict

I know my question is not directly related to these patches, but I'm looking for a way to add my own screensaver. The threads I found are not that up to date and I'm afraid it will mess with the patches I just installed. Anyone?
Old 09-22-2019, 04:25 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I know my question is not directly related to these patches, but I'm looking for a way to add my own screensaver. The threads I found are not that up to date and I'm afraid it will mess with the patches I just installed. Anyone?
Which one did you? Kobo has unofficial support as described here. That still works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching