Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
Dave_the_rave
Dave_the_rave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th Generation)
Best format for reading on Kindle Oasis

I converted some ePubs to MOBI with Calibre, but the MOBI format removes very important formattings.

I then tried to convert ePub to AZW3 > rename the file extension to "AZW" so that the Send To Kindle app allows me to send to Kindle.

Once I received Kindle ebook AZW format (AZW3 real extension) on my Kindle Oasis what happens is everything looks great except that the Book cover is not there anymore. I am not sure what else have I lost converting with this method I am not sure if I still have page progress sync and notes sync on these AZW books.

So I was wondering what's the best method or format to use when I want to send ebooks to Kindle Oasis. I really want the book to preserve good formatting so that they can be read easily.
Dave_the_rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_rave View Post
I converted some ePubs to MOBI with Calibre, but the MOBI format removes very important formattings.

I then tried to convert ePub to AZW3 > rename the file extension to "AZW" so that the Send To Kindle app allows me to send to Kindle.

Once I received Kindle ebook AZW format (AZW3 real extension) on my Kindle Oasis what happens is everything looks great except that the Book cover is not there anymore. I am not sure what else have I lost converting with this method I am not sure if I still have page progress sync and notes sync on these AZW books.

So I was wondering what's the best method or format to use when I want to send ebooks to Kindle Oasis. I really want the book to preserve good formatting so that they can be read easily.
Did you ask about this over at the Calibre forums? It seems to me that I recall reading issues with the Oases and other PPW devices showing covers. I don't remember the workaround. I test books (for my customers) on my own devices, but I don't pay attention to covers, as that's not something we have to solve. (It feels, though, that if I open the file once, the cover appears.) OTOH, I sideload MOBIs, dual mobis, not KF7 MOBIs or AZWs, so...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle books purchased or borrowed from Amazon support rich formatting, library thumbnail images, lock screen cover images, and syncing of position/annotations across devices. All of the various methods of adding your own book will result in one or more of these features being missing.

If rich formatting and cover thumbnails are important but syncing is not you can get those by having calibre transfer the book to your device via USB in AZW3 format (aka KF8).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Dave_the_rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle books purchased or borrowed from Amazon support rich formatting, library thumbnail images, lock screen cover images, and syncing of position/annotations across devices. All of the various methods of adding your own book will result in one or more of these features being missing.

If rich formatting and cover thumbnails are important but syncing is not you can get those by having calibre transfer the book to your device via USB in AZW3 format (aka KF8).

Thanks for the clarification.

What is strange is that when I convert the same book ePub to .MOBI I get the book thumbnail and position/annotations sync working across devices.

So even if I change the file extension of .AZW3 to .MOBI/.AZW/.JPG/.PNG/ and use Send to Kindle for Mac/PC. I will still not be able to get book thumbnails, syncing of position/annotations working is that right?

Also I would like to know if I want to sync with Calibre is there any other way to sync the books position/annotations with the AZW3 format?
Old 07-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is strange is that when I convert the same book ePub to .MOBI I get the book thumbnail and position/annotations sync working across devices.
Yes, Kindles are able to extract a cover thumbnail from MOBI format, but not from KF8 (AZW3) format.

Quote:
So even if I change the file extension of .AZW3 to .MOBI/.AZW/.JPG/.PNG/ and use Send to Kindle for Mac/PC. I will still not be able to get book thumbnails, syncing of position/annotations working is that right?
Any method you use that results in Amazon delivering AZW3 format to the Kindle will not give you cover thumbnails.

In my testing syncing works most reliably using old MOBI format created using calibre or using a Master MOBI produced using Amazon's tools instead of calibre.

If you send Amazon an EPUB with an incorrect image file extension they convert it to Master MOBI. Master MOBI contains AZW3 as a component of it and only that part is delivered to all but the very oldest Kindles.

Quote:
Also I would like to know if I want to sync with Calibre is there any other way to sync the books position/annotations with the AZW3 format?
There is a calibre plugin that can extract annotations in a limited way from Kindles. But there is no syncing of positions or annotations between Kindles and calibre.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, Kindles are able to extract a cover thumbnail from MOBI format, but not from KF8 (AZW3) format.

Any method you use that results in Amazon delivering AZW3 format to the Kindle will not give you cover thumbnails.

In my testing syncing works most reliably using old MOBI format created using calibre or using a Master MOBI produced using Amazon's tools instead of calibre.

If you send Amazon an EPUB with an incorrect image file extension they convert it to Master MOBI. Master MOBI contains AZW3 as a component of it and only that part is delivered to all but the very oldest Kindles.

There is a calibre plugin that can extract annotations in a limited way from Kindles. But there is no syncing of positions or annotations between Kindles and calibre.
Dumb question: why not just drop the ePUB onto KP3, export a master MOBI and put THAT onto the Oasis? I mean, why use Calibre in this, post-ePUB, at all? (I am aware of the mobi conundrum, for the future, but as FXL will retain MOBI format...I suspect KP3/KG will/can still produce master mobis for a good while yet.)

Hitch
Old 07-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Dumb question: why not just drop the ePUB onto KP3, export a master MOBI and put THAT onto the Oasis?
I would use the Kindle Previewer to produce a Master MOBI, but I already have it installed and know how to use it.

The trick of emailing an EPUB disguised as an image gives the same result as emailing a Master MOBI without the need for additional software, so it may be an easier process for some people. Though it does have a significant downside, if the book fails to convert you don't get to find out why using that technique.

Transferring the Master MOBI directly to the device results in a books that won't sync reading position and annotations between devices on your Amazon account. If those features are important, as they are to me when I am actually reading a book as opposed to just testing it, then emailing the book or using send-to-kindle are required to provide that.

Quote:
I mean, why use Calibre in this, post-ePUB, at all?
There can be some advantages for readers depending on what features they care about the most.

For example if both syncing reading position and having a cover thumbnail in the device's library view are required then a MOBI7 file (called old MOBI in calibre) can be produced using calibre and emailed to get that. In return the reader gives up the richer formatting of KF8.

Another example is that the Kindle's cover lock screen feature won't activate from a sideloaded Master MOBI, but usually will from a sideloaded MOBI or AZW3 produced by calibre due to the metadata it sets.

Quote:
I am aware of the mobi conundrum, for the future, but as FXL will retain MOBI format...I suspect KP3/KG will/can still produce master mobis for a good while yet.
I believe they could go either way. It is possible that Amazon will remove the ability to export MOBI from the Previewer. They may only be allowing fixed-layout MOBI to be used for publishing because it is still produced by some of their older tools, such as the Kindle Kid's Book Creator.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

I believe they could go either way. It is possible that Amazon will remove the ability to export MOBI from the Previewer. They may only be allowing fixed-layout MOBI to be used for publishing because it is still produced by some of their older tools, such as the Kindle Kid's Book Creator.
Oh, that is no doubt why MOBI still exists. When they retire those in favor of KC, MOBI will no doubt go the way of the Dodo. I freely admit I'm less than ecstatic about that, but....their sandbox.

Hitch
Old 07-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #9
Dave_the_rave

Quote:
The trick of emailing an EPUB disguised as an image gives the same result as emailing a Master MOBI without the need for additional software, so it may be an easier process for some people. Though it does have a significant downside, if the book fails to convert you don't get to find out why using that technique.
Is sending (via email/Send to Kindle) the EPUB disguised as an image method produces better text formatting for the MOBI than the Calibre or will this method still sends AZW3? I wonder which way to go is best?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is sending (via email/Send to Kindle) the EPUB disguised as an image method produces better text formatting for the MOBI than the Calibre or will this method still sends AZW3? I wonder which way to go is best?
The KF8 (AZW3) portion of the Master MOBI will be delivered by Amazon to the Kindle so the level of formatting possible will be essentially the same either way.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm guessing that this is to sideload a book to the Oasis? Because when it comes to publishing through the KDP platform, I have since 2012 used epub2. So I'm baffled why anyone would use Calibre to make what seems to me to be the inferior "mobi" file.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:42 AM   #12
Dave_the_rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I'm guessing that this is to sideload a book to the Oasis? Because when it comes to publishing through the KDP platform, I have since 2012 used epub2. So I'm baffled why anyone would use Calibre to make what seems to me to be the inferior "mobi" file.
Yes this is to sideload books on Kindle Oasis. I am wondering if there is better way yet. My priority is to get Book cover and the advance formatting transfered somehow online.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #13
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
If you install the KFX plugins in Calibre (requires KindlePreviewer3) then you can just use Calibre to transfer those to your kindle. I do this with my Oasis as well. And covers show up as expected.

Or have I misunderstood you and you're already doing this but it's still not working correct?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With Kindles, the solution is to forget that Send to Kindle exists. Forget it. Give up on trying to sync.

You want either KF8 or KFX and you are best to side load with Calibre. If you want KF8, you have to jump through some hoops to get it and if you want KFX, you HAVE to side load.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:13 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
What he says ^^^^

I'd use AZW3/KF8 via USB unless it for an ancient kindle (Earlier than FW 3.x.x). I use USB / Sideload even for Amazon books on the Kindle, so I have backups.

I use Calibre dual mobi (KF7 & KF8) only for tests and Kindle on Smashwords.

The advantages of KFX is marginal and the Amazon delivered version has extra DRM even when publisher opts for NO DRM! Most KFX files are made from the same docx or epub2 as azw3/KF8 anyway.

Send To Kindle is very limited and gives Amazon a copy. It may actually be violating copyright if the ebook is in copyright and not bought from Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote