Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
rfw
rfw began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, TH55
Audio Player

I generally use my ipod for music but thought it would be nice to put some classical music on the reader's memory stick--just in case my iPod died, or I didn't have any classical music on it at the moment etc... The sound quality on the reader seems fine for its purpose (I'm not planning on using it to distract me from reading--just to provide some non-subway induced background noise.)

But there's no way to organize the files by album! much less by artist etc...

The fact that it organizes files by tagged track name seems even worse than organizing by file name: I would have to retag each file just to make them show up in an acceptable order on the reader. It's no fun going from the middle of a Mozart violin piece to Gershwin or Beethoven!

I was wondering if I'm missing something obvious--or if someone has figured out a decent workaround.

Thanks!
rfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
No, you've got it. Sequenced by the title in the tag. Sony seemed to limit the music features to keep them from overshadowing the music players they still sell.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd stick with the iPod if I were you. There's a very real risk, if you put MP3s on the Reader, of leaving it playing accidentally (it doesn't have a real "Stop" facility, merely a "Pause") and draining your battery flat. If the MP3 player is playing, the auto-power-off doesn't operate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Wow another feature they dont want you to use...nice idea Sony.
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The MP3 player seems to be little more than a "marketing" thing, Jim. Some overpaid market research company probably told them that a device in this market sector had to be able to play MP3, or people wouldn't buy it.

As I said before, I'd stick with an iPod for playing MP3s and use the Reader for reading book; use the right tool for the right job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
rfw
rfw began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, TH55
Thanks for the input--It's disappointing that Sony, which clearly has the ability to put decent music players in multi-function devices (e.g. clies) should have put so little effort in here: it's pretty, but that's just about it.

I suppose I'll just follow HarryT's advice and remember to bring my iPod with me.
rfw is offline   Reply With Quote