Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Which one should I get now?

Hello,

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2014 edition from Amazon.

But I decided to return it. I liked the contrast and the sharpness of the screen.

But problems was that the screen was uneven, I even got replacements and they had the same problem. The screen would be uneven or it would be dust under the screen during manufacturing. Other then that I liked the sharpness of the text. I did not like that I got locked in Amazons eco system as I live in Sweden and would like to loan using the library as well.

Which kobo would be good for me?

I like to read light novels, they are mostly text.
I liked Amazons convert feature so it could convert the pdf into mobi and it would be text? Is there a way to do this on kobo?

I have been looking at kobo h20 but I see it does not support pinch zoom. I don't know if it works the drawbacks.
Also how is the text on kobo h20 and other kobo readers?

It seems kindles are much sharper when I look at youtube.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure you'd be happy with the H2O. Very nice reader with sharp text. It doesn't support automatic conversion of formats like the Kindle does, but conversion is easy using tools like Calibre.

The only things you might notice with the H2O after having used a Kindle are that the dictionaries are not nearly as good, and the touchscreen is less accurate than the Kindle's when it comes to making precise selections, such as small hyperlinks for footnotes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure you'd be happy with the H2O. Very nice reader with sharp text. It doesn't support automatic conversion of formats like the Kindle does, but conversion is easy using tools like Calibre.

The only things you might notice with the H2O after having used a Kindle are that the dictionaries are not nearly as good, and the touchscreen is less accurate than the Kindle's when it comes to making precise selections, such as small hyperlinks for footnotes.
I don't mind the converting part as it will have a lot of storage I will not need to use cloud either. I have used calibre before and it is very extensive and good program.

I don't mind the dictionaries I never used that feature anyway. About the touchscreen I don't think that will be a problem as I will only use it to flip page as I will convert pdf to text instead.

What about the contrast? When I had PW2 it was yellowish screen. I don't know if white will hurt the eyes or it will not? As I know it uses the same technique and is frontlit.

And also I like the nightmode option on the Kobo, does it need jailbreak for that? or is the linux open?

Last edited by Elaxon; 12-22-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
What about the contrast? When I had PW2 it was yellowish screen. I don't know if white will hurt the eyes or it will not? As I know it uses the same technique and is frontlit.
My H2O had a yellowish tint to the screen, but there's considerable variation between individual devices in terms of the colour of the frontlight.

Quote:
And also I like the nightmode option on the Kobo, does it need jailbreak for that? or is the linux open?
I'm afraid I can't help you there. Perhaps someone else can answer your question?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Elaxon
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My H2O had a yellowish tint to the screen, but there's considerable variation between individual devices in terms of the colour of the frontlight.

I'm afraid I can't help you there. Perhaps someone else can answer your question?
How would you say the contrast is?

Is the text sharp as paperwhite 2 or less sharp?
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
How would you say the contrast is?

Is the text sharp as paperwhite 2 or less sharp?
The pixel resolution of the H2O is better than the PW2, but not quite as good as the Kindle Voyage. ie, it's very good.

PW2 = 212 pixels per inch
H2O = 265 ppi
Voyage = 300 ppi
Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I don't think you'd notice the difference in the ppi of the H2O vs the Voyage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I agree. Once you reach a certain pixel density, the text is just smooth.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Elaxon
Zealot

Alright, is it easy to jailbreak kobo? Or make changes to it?

I know about the DPI but there is other differences. But if you were to compare paperwhite 2 and h20 would you say their screen is the same?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

I know about the DPI but there is other differences. But if you were to compare paperwhite 2 and h20 would you say their screen is the same?
About the "jailbreaking" (I hate this word ), modifying or patching it, there's a forum here where you can loot at it in more detail, and it can give you a better feeling. I've used only some basic patch, very very easy, but not the night mode, I don't know it it requires a lot of work.

And about screen, you have to keep in mind: 6 against 6.8, I don't think you're going to note the density difference (well, I know some people who would say they do), or the light tone (unless you have one beside the other).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Kobos are not locked. There are many useful hacks available. I suggest you browse the Kobo Developer's Corner subforum to see if there's anything which appeals.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Elaxon
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
About the "jailbreaking" (I hate this word ), modifying or patching it, there's a forum here where you can loot at it in more detail, and it can give you a better feeling. I've used only some basic patch, very very easy, but not the night mode, I don't know it it requires a lot of work.

And about screen, you have to keep in mind: 6 against 6.8, I don't think you're going to note the density difference (well, I know some people who would say they do), or the light tone (unless you have one beside the other).
Yea I don't know why I used jailbreak word but I never use that. As it is linux I just call that modifying. But yeah I saw some stuff there, but if it were to brick is it possible to factory reset and it restores everything?

And considering it's infrared screen would kobo aura be better choice or how good would you say it is? I wouldn't really use pdf but sometimes I would need to use it and is the double click zoom practical?

For example this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqBes016yY at 3 minutes in Kindle seem to have better contrast. Is it possible to get that text and font in kobo h20? If so could you screenshot how it looks like? Would be appreciated.

And also does warranty gets void if I modify system files?

Last edited by Elaxon; 12-22-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
And also does warranty gets void if I modify system files?
If you add any of the patches found here it shouldn't. The 1st thing they're going to get you to do if you have an issue is a factory reset which will wipe all evidence of them so they wouldn't know you had been using them anyway.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I would say (based on MR forum comments) that overall the screen of the H2O is better as more people are seeing color shifts with the Voyage. Also, there are a number of comments that say people like the larger size of the H2O. I am one of them.

The H2O needs no jailbreak to customize. There are patches to for the H2O that are very easy to apply and it uses the firmware update mechanism built into most Kobo Readers.

The Voyage might come with firmware 5.6.1 and if it does, there is currently no way to jailbreak it without opening it up. And if you do that, you lose your warranty. So before you buy a Voyage, you have to decide if you can use it as it comes with no jalilbreaking at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
Elaxon
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say (based on MR forum comments) that overall the screen of the H2O is better as more people are seeing color shifts with the Voyage. Also, there are a number of comments that say people like the larger size of the H2O. I am one of them.

The H2O needs no jailbreak to customize. There are patches to for the H2O that are very easy to apply and it uses the firmware update mechanism built into most Kobo Readers.

The Voyage might come with firmware 5.6.1 and if it does, there is currently no way to jailbreak it without opening it up. And if you do that, you lose your warranty. So before you buy a Voyage, you have to decide if you can use it as it comes with no jalilbreaking at all.
I have ordered the H20 with the sleep cover and will be using 32GB memory card with that.

But does the factory reset the H20 if you manage to not make it start?
I am not happy with kindles but I like the amazon customer service which allows you to return.