Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Forma or Kindle Oasis?

Hi, I've always had a Kobo (h20 in the last 4 years), I just bought a Kobo Forma which I had to return due to a very strong light strip issue.
I knew that Forma had this problem, but I literally fell in love with ergonomics and decided to take the risk, hoping that the problem was not very evident (or that I would have been more tolerant lol).
Unfortunately the other two Kobo Forma in the store had the same problem, and I am a bit discouraged to be able to find a Forma where the issue isn't so obvious (if not completely absent).
Now my dilemma is, Amazon sells the Kobo Forma for the same price as the Kindle Oasis here, and the return to Amazon is obviously much simpler than in a store.
Should I buy a Forma from Amazon, and continue to send them back until I find a device where the defect is acceptably slight?
In my Kobo the defect was always visible, except with the light completely turned off, if the problem had been visible only with the light over 50% I would have accepted it, I usually read with the light around 20%
Did any of you succeed in this? After how many attempts?
Or should I buy an Oasis, which has almost everything I like about the Forma (mobius screen with flush frames, lightness, ergonomics) but the software part lacks in some things that the Kobo has (collections, the ability to read the synopsis without opening the book)?
I could try the Kindle software and eventually return it if I don't feel good...However I wanted to try a Kindle for a long time, because I love its dictionaries and the possibility of using Kindle Unlimited.
In short, for those who switched from Kobo to Kindle, how did you feel? (most of my books are sideloaded)
And did anyone manage to find a (almost) perfect Forma without going crazy?
I'm really confused (and disappointed by my beloved Forma, such an expensive device should not have these problems).
Thanks!

Last edited by perisiana; 12-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It would depend on how important those features are for you that the Kindle lacks. Personally I don't use collections and the synopsis, while nice to have, is not a must-have for me. So I'm satisfied with both devices. But if you rely heavily on Calibre collection management, for example, then you will probably be disappointed with the Kindle.

There's also one thing the Kindle has and the Kobo lacks - global search, i.e. searching for a word across your whole library, not only in one book. That's handy with multi-volume fantasy and SF series with hundreds of characters. I miss that on my Libra sometimes. But I guess it's not really important to people who have never used a Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It would depend on how important those features are for you that the Kindle lacks. Personally I don't use collections and the synopsis, while nice to have, is not a must-have for me. So I'm satisfied with both devices. But if you rely heavily on Calibre collection management, for example, then you will probably be disappointed with the Kindle.
Yes this is my major concern, I use Caliber a lot, and even if my closet is a disaster, my library must always be very well organized lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There's also one thing the Kindle has and the Kobo lacks - global search, i.e. searching for a word across your whole library, not only in one book. That's handy with multi-volume fantasy and SF series with hundreds of characters. I miss that on my Libra sometimes. But I guess it's not really important to people who have never used a Kindle.
This seems like a very useful thing, I read a lot of series, I didn't know this features!
I am more and more tempted to try the oasis and see how it goes.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
Yes this is my major concern, I use Caliber a lot, and even if my closet is a disaster, my library must always be very well organized lol
I'm the same way (and my closets would strike horror in any but the bravest hearts ), but I don't need that organization on my devices, only in Calibre itself.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
One area you should consider is library support. You don't have your location listed in your mini-bio, but if you are outside the US Kindle library support is basically non-existant. Kobo's current models (including the Forma) have Overdrive support built in (for several countries) or can use Adobe Digital Editions software to import library books.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
perisiana
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
One area you should consider is library support. You don't have your location listed in your mini-bio, but if you are outside the US Kindle library support is basically non-existant. Kobo's current models (including the Forma) have Overdrive support built in (for several countries) or can use Adobe Digital Editions software to import library books.
Here in Italy we have a strange, twisted system called MLOL, who would like to be like overdrive but it's so complicated that I prefer to go to the library and borrow physical books rather than use it.
So, unless Overdrive becomes supported in Italy two months after I buy a kindle (possible with my luck lol) it's not a problem.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After using you2 H2O, you'll find you won't like the blandness of the Kindle firmware. The Kindle firmware is very lacking. It's not made for someone who wants to do more. It's made for someone who wants to do less.

Go for the Forma. If you do decide to try a Kindle, get ready to return it as you will not like it.

OH and if you have access to Overdrive at your library, a Kindle will be useless in Italy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
perisiana
Connoisseur

I would love to buy a Forma again, is a great device imho, but I was very disappointed with the last one I bought and the two with the same problem in the store.
Can't believe that such a expensive device has such poor quality control, at this point I am almost sure that I should return the Forma to Amazon at least three or four times before finding a device where the defect is slight enough for me to keep it...
Old 12-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would love to buy a Forma again, is a great device imho, but I was very disappointed with the last one I bought and the two with the same problem in the store.
Can't believe that such a expensive device has such poor quality control, at this point I am almost sure that I should return the Forma to Amazon at least three or four times before finding a device where the defect is slight enough for me to keep it...
You'd be even more disappointed with a Kindle.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Since you've already tried a few Forma's and been unhappy, why don't you try an Oasis instead and see what you think of it? There's most definitely not as many configuration options to tinker with as there is on a Kobo, as it's the king of customisation, but to say its bland and lacking.... well as it comes from JS Wolf, that kind of comment is no surprise.

On the other hand, if you use collections a lot on your device itself, as Sirtel says that is one feature you would really miss as the interaction between collections in Calibre and on the device isn't there with a Kindle. Although if you read lots of books in series, you can look at using metadata plugboards in Calibre to sort your books.

If you find you don't like it, or aren't happy with the screen on the Oasis either, return it and then re-try the Forma (and hopefully find one you like within 2 or 3 returns as I'd be wary about returning too many!).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 12-09-2019 at 04:34 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #11
perisiana
Connoisseur

In case I decide to buy the Kindle x) , could you tell me something about how it works with calibre? What is the best way to transform my ePubs, in AZW, in Mobi or other formats?
Do sideloaded books have the ability to see the reading percentage like the kepubs?
I already know that I need to have the asin in my metadata to be able to see the cover of my books, is the same for the synopsis/links to Goodreads?
And is there any calibre plugin that you find particularly useful?

JSWolf would be probably right, since I love to have the possibility to personalize and do everything with my devices usually, for example I actually use a little the collections on my ereader, I usually already know what I would like to read, it's just that ... it's nice to know that if need them they are there lol anyway I guess I can use Calibre Box for that since I already have it on my phone.
But I'm also curious to try something different, and I really like some of the features in the Kindles.
Also, as you said I don't like the idea to be forced to do too many returns to Amazon.

Last edited by perisiana; 12-09-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In case I decide to buy the Kindle x) , could you tell me something about how it works with calibre? What is the best way to transform my ePubs, in AZW, in Mobi or other formats?
Do sideloaded books have the ability to see the reading percentage like the kepubs?
You can see reading percent on a Kobo reading ePub. You don't need KePub for that. This is with the 4.18.x firmware.

Yes, you can see percent with Kindle. But you cannot manage collections with Calibre. You have to do the collections manually. Also, you get a wide margins and a wide line height by default and the settings only get worse. I don't see the purpose of even wider margins and wider line height. You get less choice of font sizes. I've read a lot of posts that one size is too small and the next up is too big on a Kindle. And you cannot turn off a Kindle so the battery will just drain until it needs charging. On Kobo, you can turn it off if you don't plan to use it for a few days or more.

Another downside of the Kindle is Overdrive or RBDigital eBooks will not work as the Kindle.

Quote:
JSWolf would be probably right, since I love to have the possibility to personalize and do everything with my devices usually, for example I actually use a little the collections on my ereader, I usually already know what I would like to read, it's just that ... it's nice to know that if need them they are there lol anyway I guess I can use Calibre Box for that since I already have it on my phone.
But I'm also curious to try something different, and I really like some of the features in the Kindles.
Also, as you said I don't like the idea to be forced to do too many returns to Amazon.
Depending on the firmware you get, you may not be able to jailbreak the Kindle. But you can patch the Kobo firmware. Kobo is not actively stopping this like Amazon Lab126 is.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I already know that I need to have the asin in my metadata to be able to see the cover of my books, is the same for the synopsis/links to Goodreads?
You can see the reading percent, yes.

It's best to convert your books to azw3 and no, you don't need to have the asin in the metadata. You can see the covers without it. That is, if you sideload via USB, not e-mail the books to Amazon Cloud.

Sorry, I don't use Goodreads, so no idea about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You get less choice of font sizes. I've read a lot of posts that one size is too small and the next up is too big on a Kindle. And you cannot turn off a Kindle so the battery will just drain until it needs charging. On Kobo, you can turn it off if you don't plan to use it for a few days or more.
You can customize the font sizes with the FONT_RAMP hack. It's fairly simple and doesn't require jailbreaking. As to the battery, it will last for several months with the Kindle asleep. Yes, literally.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-09-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
perisiana
Connoisseur

JSWOLF you look just like me if a friend wants to leave Android for iOS lololol
I know, you are right, there is a 80% chance that the Kindle software will not appeal to me and I will hate it, but to have a device with the features that interest me I don't have much choice...if only Kobo had more care in checking their devices before putting them on the market ... until two days ago I had no doubt and I was super happy to bought the forma, now I'm worried about having to make a thousand returns.
It was not an intelligent commercial choice by Kobo side.
If the problem were occasional ... but from what I understood every Forma has it, and you have to be lucky and find one where it is not very evident, I tried two days reading on mine and to see at the end of each line that strip was really, really annoying.
I think I have an OCD when it concerns my devices x)
If I hate the Kindle the same way, I'll return it and pull my old Kobo touch out of the drawer (since I already gave the h20 to my dad), until something better comes out on the market lol
Maybe I'll wait for the ereaders with colors.

Last edited by perisiana; 12-09-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
One other possible choice would be the Tolino Epos 2 — hardware is the same as the Kobo Forma, but the platform is more open. Since the Tolinos have Adobe DRM built-in, you can buy from any bookstore that will let you download the ePub directly (a few don't). The Tolino is also supposed to work with MLOL for borrowing books directly. Whether the screen would be any better than the Forma, I can't say. I'm guessing both devices are made int he same factory. Also, I don't think it works as well with Calibre collections and the interface is definitely more "sparse" than the Kobo. Though, to me, "sparse" equals clean and simple.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote