Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 03:56 AM   #1
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
ISP or IP block by MobileRead?

I've recently changed my ISP, and I now have no access to Mobileread.com at home. By chance, I noticed that I don't have access at my mother in laws place either, and she uses the same ISP.

I've contacted the ISP, and they've been very helpful with the situation, and they do not believe the block is at their end.

Is it possible that my ISP or their IP range is blocked at MobileReads end?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
When you say you "have no access", what does that mean?
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
In your router there is a reference to a site that converts Internet names to Internet numbers. It can also default to you Internet supplier. Try substituting the following ip numbers for www.mobileread.com, 138.201.168.226

If this works then the ip is not blocked by the translation may be missing the MobileRead site. You may be able to change the location you use for translation of the name to numbers in your router or you can complain to your provider.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
When you say you "have no access", what does that mean?
Yeah sorry, that was a really bad description!

If I use a browser (Safari or Firefox), it will try and connect to the site for about 30 seconds, after which it will tell me that it couldn't establish a connection.

If I ping the domain using a computer, or directly from my router, I get 100% packet loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
In your router there is a reference to a site that converts Internet names to Internet numbers. It can also default to you Internet supplier. Try substituting the following ip numbers for www.mobileread.com, 138.201.168.226

If this works then the ip is not blocked by the translation may be missing the MobileRead site. You may be able to change the location you use for translation of the name to numbers in your router or you can complain to your provider.

Dale
Thanks, I tried to connect directly to the IP as suggested, and in that case my browser fails after a second, and tells me it doesn't have access to the Internet. I assume that's a generic message it gives me since it can't connect, since my Internet is otherwise working perfectly for anything but MR.

For what it is worth, I've tried 4 different DNS (2x Google, Cloudflare, and the generic one from my ISP), and they all give me the same result, so based on that and the above, I assume the problem is not related to the domain.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Any chance your browser blacklisted this site for some reason? Or, does your anti-virus/internet security/malware block sites? (I don't remember if when you tried at your mother's house if you were on her computer or if you were trying from your own device).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
If I ping the domain using a computer, or directly from my router, I get 100% packet loss.
If the PING is directly from the router and it fails, then the issue has absolutely nothing to do with the computer, much less the browser.

If your ISP isn't causing the issue then it is something to do with the router or modem (whether modem is a separate item or embeded in the "router"), either its firewall or other security settings or its ability to get appropriate IP addresses (IP4 & IP6) from the modem.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote