Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #61
tabliczka
tabliczka began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox X61S
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
Thanks for posting this info. It looks good! Where did you buy it?
I bought it in Poland (on Empik.com) but I think that most of the Eastern European Onyx Boox readers should support Hebrew (they are all equipped with similar extra software and fonts to support many languages). Unfortunately my device is quite buggy (sleep mode doesn't work properly, I have to charge it once a week). Maybe the next firmware will fix this issue.
tabliczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #62
oivavoi
Enthusiast
oivavoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
This was a great thread, thanks for doing great work!

A quick question: Anybody has a link to sites that sell Israeli/Hebrew epub-books? Haven't been in Israel for a while and my Hebrew is getting rusty... so hopefully I can refresh it this way.

I'm probably going to purchase a Sony PRS-T1, and being android-based I assume it will be possible to root it like the Nook. And then add apps that allow reading Hebrew epub.

Anybody had any more luck with reading Arabic, by the way? Any android-applications that support that? Seems like that's still an uresolved issue... (I won't pretend that my Arabic is solid enough to read books at this point, but in the future - inshallah!)
oivavoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #63
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oivavoi View Post
This was a great thread, thanks for doing great work!

A quick question: Anybody has a link to sites that sell Israeli/Hebrew epub-books?
There are two main sites selling Hebrew ePub books:

1) e-vrit - This site contains ePub books with some "non broken" DRM.

2) Mendele HeBooks - This site contains books with social DRM only.

Good luck!
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #64
oivavoi
Enthusiast
oivavoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
There are two main sites selling Hebrew ePub books:

1) e-vrit - This site contains ePub books with some "non broken" DRM.

2) Mendele HeBooks - This site contains books with social DRM only.

Good luck!
Thanks! One funny detail: The first thing I saw when I opened the e-vrit site was a novel from Norway (where I come from) on the bestseller list, of all things... me like ("Child Wonder" by Roy Jacobsen, if anybody's wondering)
oivavoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #65
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

I tested the latest AZARDI 6 application on PC and the results are very good
Attached are the screen captures. Looks great!
The application should also work on Mac and Linux but I didn't test it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Title.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	77954   Click image for larger version

Name:	TextStyles.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	77955   Click image for larger version

Name:	PoppingTOC.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	77956   Click image for larger version

Name:	TextWithImage.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	77957   Click image for larger version

Name:	TextWithP.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	77958  
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #66
carmelra
Zealot

Spring Design Alex was added to the list of e-readers that support Hebrew properly. Although this device officially discontinued, it's being sold in Israel for less than 250$. The devices that are being sold in Israel might have some firmware update to enable Hebrew support.
I have no screen captures yet...
Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #67
carmelra
Zealot

Here is another example of a PocketBook device with Hebrew text.
http://www.ereadersmarket.com/2011/1...rt-hebrew-box/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hebrew2-300x400.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	80114  

Last edited by carmelra; 12-18-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #68
oren
oren began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Converting Hebrew PDF to EPUB

Hi,
I tried many online conversion tools as well as the Calibre software.
I managed to align the pargraphs to the right adding 'direction:rtl;' in the CSS file but the letters itself are still in a wrong direction.
No idea what to do...
Can anyone here help me please?
Thanks
Oren
oren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #69
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Funny thing happens when you change the menu language in Pocketbook to Hebrew - all the buttons also change their direction automatically, e.g. - when English or Russian is the interface language in, say, PB360, you use the "Left" button in the 5-position joystick to get back from the book and to the main menu.
When you change the interface language to Arabic or Hebrew (both right to left), the "back" button migrates to the right one from the left... Weird in the beginning when you don't know it and try to get back by pressing "Left" button ))))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #70
oren

Converting Hebrew DOC to EPUB

Same thing happens when I try converting DOC file to epub...
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #71
vital
vital began at the beginning.

Device: pb 360
I've used Sigil many many times to convert to hebrew epub. All I do is copy from word (or oo) and paste into sigil, then right-align, select the headings for the table of contents and some meta info and I'm ready to go.
I've used the same method for hebrew pdfs (copy, paste into word and then paste into sigil), but with less success because of the source pdf themselves that I was using. Are you sure your problem is with the conversion process and not your e-reader?
vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #72
oren

Well, I never tried Sigil... Only tried Scrivener and Calibre.
Calibre didn't do the Hebrew well at all.
Scriveber di the Hebrew very well but was working only on iPhone and not on iPads or Androids.
So you say Sigil is what i'm looking for?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #73
wack0
wack0 began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad w' CM9
someone please help me. I'm trying to get this webpage into epub format to read on aldiko or similar. Heres the link: http://www.or-hanetzach.co.il/wp-con...rochyosef.html

I've saved the page as an html document, then removed all hyperlinks (was linking back to the webpage) and images. But I cant get calibre or sigil to generate any kind of TOC.
wack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #74
oren

Ok, so I managed to make EPUB files in /hebrew and it works great on ipads, iphones.
The problem is with Android - I tried FBReader and the letters are ok but the order of the words is LTR.
I looked around and found that it might be because i'm using SONY device and sipposibly it works well on other devices..
I looked a little more and found that an app called Moon+ Reader might resolve this issue.
Can't check it now but will tomorrow and will let you know. If anyone knows - would love to hear
Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #75
oren

Ok,
So Moon+ Reader doesn't work well with RTL language.
BUT - an app called BLIO Reader works well except 2 things:
[1] Titles which are aligned to the left.
[2] One must sign-up using email address and password in order to use this app.

If anyone knows something please share.
Thanks,
Oren