Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Buying used kindle questions

Hi, everyone,

I’m a Kobo user, meeting someone tomorrow about a used kindle for sale. It’s a 2014 touch, from what I can tell.

I called Amazon tonight to make sure it wasn’t blacklisted — the seller sent me pictures, including the serial number on the box. It’s not blacklisted, but it is still registered to someone. From what I gather, it’s someone deceased and she’s helping get rid of the person’s stuff. The Amazon person I talked to said as long as there’s WiFi I can deregister it in the device. So I wanted to ask how one does that.

Second, anything I should be cautious about? Or things to pay attention to?
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So long as its not blacklisted, you can do a factory-reset which will deregister it. If it doesn't have a password lock, you can also deregister from the device.

Apart from blacklisting, and general condition, there's not much you can check. It's possible that the battery life will be lower than a new device, but you can't really test that, except to make sure that it does work from battery at least for a few minutes.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
Second, anything I should be cautious about? Or things to pay attention to?
It's going to be hard to check the battery, but you can check the screen for bad pixels, scratches, signs of too much pressure, etc. If it's a Kindle Touch, they tend to get scratched around the bezel which, for me, can be distracting. (If it's the "New" Touch — 7th Generation — Kindle it'll have a black bezel and the scratches won't be an issue.)

Be aware that, if this is the Kindle Touch (or "New Touch") model (and not a Paperwhite with a "touch" screen), it won't have front-lighting — it won't have built-in lighting at all.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-21-2018 at 02:37 PM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Thanks everyone. I had the serial number and confirmed it was not blacklisted. I checked it out and deregistered it in front of the seller and connected it to my own account. She seemed glad I was explaining what I was doing and why ... it had been her friend’s and she didn’t know much about how to use it. She didn’t know it could be used to purchase stuff on the other account.

2014 7th gen with charger for $20. It’ll do for my upcoming travels and I kinda like being able to download from Amazon. That could be dangerous. Lol. So I guess I’m now a Kindle owner after three Kobos.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
2014 7th gen with charger for $20. It’ll do for my upcoming travels and I kinda like being able to download from Amazon. That could be dangerous. Lol. So I guess I’m now a Kindle owner after three Kobos.
At that price you're not going to get hurt. With the newest software you can install your own fonts. If your library uses Overdrive, you can borrow books and download them directly to the Kindle.

Good luck.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote