Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Crian
Crian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
MobiCreator and a table of contents

I'm trying to generate a mobi file with the MobiCreator (V 4.2 build 41). Because it does not build a table of contents from my input file, I tried again with a rather simple html input file as a test case:

Code:
<html>
    <head></head>
    <body>

<h1>Titel</h1>

<h2>Kapitel eins</h2>

<h3>Unterkapitel eins-eins</h3>

<p>Text.</p>

<h3>Unterkapitel eins-zwei</h3>

<p>Text.</p>

<h2>Kapitel zwei</h2>

<h3>Unterkapitel zwei-eins</h3>

<h4>Unterkapitel zwei-eins-eins</h4>

<p>Text.</p>

<h4>Unterkapitel zwei-eins-zwei</h4>

<p>Text.</p>

<h4>Unterkapitel zwei-eins-drei</h4>

<p>Text.</p>

<h3>Unterkapitel zwei-zwei</h3>

<p>Text.</p>

<h2>Kapitel drei</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

</body>
</html>
When I try to generate a table of contents (using h2, h3, and h4), I get the following error message:

Quote:
Mobipocket Creator Publisher v 4.2 build 41

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)0

Line: 94
Character: 3
Code: 0
Url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/table_of_contents.html
My input file only has 42 lines, so I think, "line 94" means the file table_of_contents.html.

(Sorry for my English, I am no native speaker.)

Edit: The error message mentioned the "Microsoft Internet Explorer", which I don't use, but installed is the Windows Internet Explorer 9 (Version 9.0.8112.16421 64-bit Edition).

Last edited by Crian; 05-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Crian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crian View Post
I'm trying to generate a mobi file with the MobiCreator (V 4.2 build 41). Because it does not build a table of contents from my input file, I tried again with a rather simple html input file as a test case:

Code:
<html>
    <head></head>
    <body>

<h1>Titel</h1>

<h2>Kapitel eins</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<h2>Kapitel zwei</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<h2>Kapitel drei</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

</body>
</html>
When I try to generate a table of contents (using h2, h3, and h4), I get the following error message:

My input file only has 42 lines, so I think, "line 94" means the file table_of_contents.html.

(Sorry for my English, I am no native speaker.)

Edit: The error message mentioned the "Microsoft Internet Explorer", which I don't use, but installed is the Windows Internet Explorer 9 (Version 9.0.8112.16421 64-bit Edition).
Howdy:

Why do you say that MBPCreator won't build a TOC from your input file? I suspect that you are not setting up the TOC generation right.

(Warum sagst du das MBP Schöpfer nicht bauen ein Inhaltsverzeichnis aus Ihrer Eingabe-Datei? Ich vermute, dass Sie nicht die Einrichtung des TOC Generation rechts.)

In the TOC Generation rules, ONLY put your header tag, like so: h1
nothing else. No brackets, nothing. Just put h1 in the first level (or h2 if that's your first), etc. I can send you a screenshot if you need?

Based upon your error message, which is saying, what, that MBPCreator doesn't understand what you are asking it to do, did you put anything in the Tag name field other than h2, h3 and h4? Or did you put something inside the headers that's odd? (n.b.--if you use special characters inside TOC's that are mobi-generated, they'll break in Kindle, like curly-apostrophe's.)

Can you attach a screenshot of your TOC Wizard screen please? Alternatively, if you make a TOC.html, as per your example, don't try to run that through the TOC Wizard...instead attach it to the Mobi using the Guide, that'll work.

Your English is perfectly good. Far better than my learned-in-1976 German, I'm sure.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Crian

Hi Hitch,

thank you for your answer. I took a few screen shots while importing the HTML file shown above and generating the table of contents:

The first step was a import from a HTML file:

The second screen shot shows the project in MobiCreator after the import:

The third screen shot shows, how I started to generate the table of contents:

Here are my settings for the generation:

And finally the error message I got after pressing the update button:
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Hitch,

thank you for your answer. I took a few screen shots while importing the HTML file shown above and generating the table of contents:

Hi:

I think that this all looks perfectly fine. Here's a really stupid question:

You did wrap those h2, h3 and h4 tags around your Chapter heads (or whatever), right? If you did, this should work perfectly, unless you have something odd in your html file--do you already have a manually-constructed TOC inside that dummy.html file?

My other question is even easier: what's in line 94 of your html file? Can you paste it here? The engine seems to have run into something--a character, a tag, ?--that it can't understand.

So, those are my two questions; a) did you actually wrap the tags, which I think you probably did, and b) what's in line 94 of your html file? Can you please paste, say, 10 lines in either direction, with line numbers, from a text editor, so we can see it?

Hitch
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
Crian

My dummy.html file is just the one posted above:

Quote:
Code:
<html>
    <head></head>
    <body>

<h1>Titel</h1>

<h2>Kapitel eins</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<h2>Kapitel zwei</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<p>Text.</p>

<h2>Kapitel drei</h2>

<p>Text.</p>

</body>
</html>
And as I mentioned there:

Quote:
Line 94 of the file c:\Program Files (x86)\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Creator\rsrc\html\table_of_contents.html is this one:

Code:
    weholder.external.set_toc_parameters(document.forms[0].toc_title.value, parameters);

Last edited by Crian; 05-19-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
My dummy.html file is just the one posted above:

And as I mentioned there:

Line 94 of the file c:\Program Files (x86)\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Creator\rsrc\html\table_of_contents.html is this one:

Code:
    weholder.external.set_toc_parameters(document.forms[0].toc_title.value, parameters);
Hi, Crian:

Something you are saying isn't making sense, in terms of MBPCreator...you say you have a file named "table_of_contents.html," but you seem to be trying to make a toc from the dummy.html file, right?

In MBPCreator, if this worked, you would have two files in your publications folder (two html files, that is): you'd have dummy.html and mbp_toc.html. Not "table_of_contents.html," unless that's something differently-named in the German version, but I don't know why it would be.

Can you please tell me exactly what files are in your Publications folder for this dummy book? Something here is still not "clicking" for me.

P.S.- if you are using IE9, downgrade to IE8, MBPCreator has a known issue with IE9, FWIW.

Hitch
Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Do you have Internet Explorer 9 installed?
If so, revert to version 8 as IE9 is the one causing that problem.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Crian

I have IE 9, yes. Thank you, then MobiCreator is no possibility for me. I can't switch back, it is my PC at work and at home I only have Macs.

@Hitch: No, I just have that one html file shown above. The table_of_contents.html is a part of MobiCreator itself.