Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Jearth0182
Jearth0182 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
jailbreaking kindle PW3

I've been looking through here and on the internet, and haven't found a definitive answer. Can the Kindle Paperwhite 3 running the Kindle OS version 5.8.9 be jailbroken? I've tried running through the steps here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

But when I try to copy the *.bin file, it disappears and the kindle update option is greyed out. Is there a work around to being able to downgrade this OS version or am I stuck with it for now?
Jearth0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jearth0182 View Post
I've been looking through here and on the internet, and haven't found a definitive answer. Can the Kindle Paperwhite 3 running the Kindle OS version 5.8.9 be jailbroken? I've tried running through the steps here:

But when I try to copy the *.bin file, it disappears and the kindle update option is greyed out. Is there a work around to being able to downgrade this OS version or am I stuck with it for now?
No. 5.8.8+ is not downgradeable to factory firmware, so no existing jailbreak mechanism works. (However, a PW that is already jailbroken prior to an upgrade to 5.8.9 will remain so.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Jearth0182

well damn. that's what I thought and that's what I was afraid of. Any word on a jailbreak for these later firmwares?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

The only reason you did not find a definitive answer was because you failed to open the first spoiler and read its contents:
  • 5.a.b.c.d : Is first number anything other than 5?
    This jailbreak will not work.
  • 5.8.b.c.d : Is number larger than 8?
  • 5.8.7.c.d : Is number larger than 7?
  • No numbers for the ".c" and ".d" fields.
    This jailbreak will work.
  • 5.8.7.0.d : Is number larger than 0?
    This jailbreak may or may not work. Unknown.
  • 5.8.7.0.1 : Is number larger than 1?
    This jailbreak may or may not work. Unknown.
  • Have you reached the end of this list without encountering a "will not work" number?
    Did not find a number commented as "will not work": This jail break will work.
  • Reached the end of this list, but encountered a "may or may not work" comment?
    Found a number commented as: "may or may not work".
    Then it may or may not work, try it and tell us in this thread.
    You can tell if it is working by how long it takes to perform the update to the factory, production line, firmware.
    Less than a few minutes? It did not work.
What could I do to make it more definitive than that?
I mean other than finding a way to make people read the directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
well damn. that's what I thought and that's what I was afraid of. Any word on a jailbreak for these later firmwares?
There will never be one that can be performed without reading the directions.
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Jearth0182

you're right, I did miss that first spoiler. Found it after I posted this and was reading back through it again. My apologies. next time i'll make sure I read it a little further. But that still doesn't answer the question of will there be a jailbreak for these later firmwares?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
you're right, I did miss that first spoiler. Found it after I posted this and was reading back through it again. My apologies. next time i'll make sure I read it a little further. But that still doesn't answer the question of will there be a jailbreak for these later firmwares?
That is an impossible to answer question.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
knc1 can correct me, but I believe you can still jailbreak using the serial port. the so called "Open Kindle" or hardware jailbreak.

Here are the instructions, but be warned, this is advanced hackery, side effects may include, but are not limited to - permanent bricking, damaged components, house fires, forest fires, etc.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote