Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Beta testers for calibre 2.0 needed

Hi all,

calibre 2.0 is ready for testing. It is based on the next generation of Qt (the graphics toolkit calibre uses). This will bring many benefits to calibre going forward, but before I release calibre 2.0, I would appreciate it if some of you could help beta test it. Some of the major new features in calibre 2.0 are:

1) Support for Android phones and tablets on OS X, calibre should now detect and connect to them, just as it already does on windows and linux

2) The calibre command line tools no longer need a running X server on linux, so no more need to use xvfb-run

3) Thanks to bug fixes in Qt, the calibre viewer and editor no longer have problems with embedded fonts where the font family name inside the font does not match the name used in the @font-face rule.

4) Qt has changed the look & feel of its widgets (buttons/scrollbars/boxes/etc.) to a new "Fusion" theme that is supposed to be more "modern". As with most things UI related, I suspect some of you will like the changes and some of you will not.

The betas are available from: http://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

Most calibre third-party plugins have already been ported to work with calibre 2.0 and indeed this beta has been used and tested by many people already, so you should have no problems. But just in case you do, it is perfectly safe to uninstall the beta and go back to the main calibre release, if needed.

The betas are just like normal calibre releases and can be installed in the same way, except for linux, for which instructions are below.

Do let me know if you have any problems, or even if everything works as normal.

You can see the history of testing of this beta as well as porting of third-party plugins here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242223

Status of porting of third party plugins:
http://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/porting.html

Linux installation instructions:
Spoiler:

Download the .txz tarball (either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your computer) and run the following command
Code:
sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo tar xvf /path/to/downloaded/calibre-tarball.txz -C /opt/calibre
This assumes you have previously installed calibre to /opt/calibre (as is the default).

Thank you all for your help.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
I just installed the beta (1.204.1 portable) and I have already the first question:

Is there a way to reduce the size of the icons in custom columns again?

I reduced the size of the actual image, but it just get streched back to a size too big for my taste.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
I have been using 2.0 portable for a couple of days. No problem so far.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The icon sizes are base don the row height. You can reduce the row height via Preferences->Look & Feel->Extra spacing between rows (set it negative)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-04-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
I've been on the beta for a few days as well, with light workload using basic features of Calibre (some conversions, some Polish, pushing/deleting to/from my device, adding tags in bulk, etc) along with basic use of FFDL, Reading List, Count Pages and the like. Not a whisper of a problem so far.

Seems like there's no 'beta channel' per se, since there's no notice of new versions available (I'm on 1.203.1), and no notice for plugin updates either (or maybe the Quality Check update went up after I launched Calibre, which is more probable), but aside from that it's business as usual.

EDIT: Do you have a 'shopping list' of specific actions you'd like us to run on new builds, or just using it as usual and reporting problems will be enough? I've got a week off a a 1700+ library; I can do some in-depth testing if you give me a roadmap of what you'd want me to do.

N.

Last edited by aleyx; 08-03-2014 at 05:59 AM.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah, you dont get update notices in the beta, I dont expect the beta to last long enough to bother setting up a channel for it. Basically, unless someone finds major problems here, 2.0 will be released, most probably in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Most calibre third-party plugins have already been ported to work with calibre 2.0 and indeed this beta has been used and tested by many people already, so you should have no problems.
Thank you Kovid for great work.
The beta installed without a problem - not that I expected any when unpacking tarbal on Linux ;-)

The only tiny problem I have found so far is the "Quick preferences" plugin not working. I use menubar instead of the default toolbar.
The beta also removed some other items - mostly plugins from my menubar
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@kacir: Any plugins that have not yet been ported will have problems in the beta, see here for the list: http://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/porting.html

You should post in the plugin's thread, and hopefully the plugin's author will be motivated to update their plugin.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Thank you Kovid for great work.
The beta installed without a problem - not that I expected any when unpacking tarbal on Linux ;-)

The only tiny problem I have found so far is the "Quick preferences" plugin not working. I use menubar instead of the default toolbar.
The beta also removed some other items - mostly plugins from my menubar
FWIW they are not totally removed, just not displayed because that is one of the incompatibilities. Once an QT5 compatible version is loaded, you old setting is agian displayed, just like it was before (position and bar)

BTW Kovid
I use all 2 toolbars and the Menubar. So far, so good with the updated PI showing and functioning
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Is there a way to adjust the row height in the book list? The rows seem much bigger now which for me is a waste of space and means much more scrolling to get through 1200+ books. I try to reduce key strokes and mouse moves due to RSI syndrom, so it's a big issue for me.

I don't know if the tip above about adjusting row height has anything to do with my question. I didn't find that option, anyway.

Last edited by LucyOne; 08-03-2014 at 11:02 AM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@LucyOne: Preferences->Look & Feel->Extra spacing to add between rows->make it negative
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@LucyOne: Preferences->Look & Feel->Extra spacing to add between rows->make it negative
I noticed that with the 1.20x versions, I have to run that at -5 to get the 'standard' text rows to look the same height as 1.4x
This is all QT5 related?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes .
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

thanks

(1 word answers rule )
Old 08-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #15
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Thanks, I will try that.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote