Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Oasis 2: automatic lighting & battery status

Two questions about the Oasis 2:
How do you monitor the battery status other than by watching the icon? The icon doesn't give a precise percentage, just a vague indication. And I can't find the precise indication of the battery's status anywhere.

And although automatic clarity is checked, I often don't see it make any difference. If I have the backlight turned of or at one or two stripes at most, and then go into a dark room, it stays at that level, even though I'd need a lot more light there. How does that work? Or does it just not work very well?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's even more ridiculous: what I described above was what just happened. The light was at two bars, I went into a dark room, it stayed there.
Now I go sit in a chair with an external reading light switched on, directed at my position (and at the reader) and suddenly the light of the ereader turns up. I check and it's at 16 bars -- way more bright than is needed in my current light conditions (I can do without any backlight at all).

Weird.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
You can get the battery to display the percentage by going into Device Settings and changing Display Size to large. For some unknown reason, this adds the percentage beside the battery icon.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
That’s how the front light works. It’s dim when there is low light, and bright when there is bright light. I adjust mine manually and usually have it at around 1 in bright daylight and 2 - 4 in the dark.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i understand why a light needs to be dimmer in a dark setting. but the opposite is just ridiculous. why would the light need to be on at all when there's plenty of ambient light?
so i just control it manually. off when i am in a bright setting and adjust manually in various situations of darker environments.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
why would the light need to be on at all when there's plenty of ambient light?
The idea is to lighten the background so that it is more white (instead of the usual gray) giving higher contrast.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
It's even more ridiculous: what I described above was what just happened. The light was at two bars, I went into a dark room, it stayed there.
Now I go sit in a chair with an external reading light switched on, directed at my position (and at the reader) and suddenly the light of the ereader turns up. I check and it's at 16 bars -- way more bright than is needed in my current light conditions (I can do without any backlight at all).

Weird.
Amazon's priority is making the background look white. If your's is different, you need to train it by leaving auto adjust on and brightening and dimming by hand in different lighting conditions. Over time, it should learn to match your preferences.

In bright enough ambient light, the Oasis 2 will turn off its frontlight, but it will turn the light insanely high before it gets to that point. This is not good because the Oasis 2 has a smaller battery than previous Kindles, and its 7" screen takes a lot more power to light up.

I leave the light off, or at 1 or 2 on mine with auto adjust off. I am happy with auto adjust on my Voyage, and leave it on.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 AM   #8
franklekens
Addict

Thanks for the info everybody. As to the backlight, as they say in Star Trek: it's "switch back to manual" for me.